New Grower 1st Grow Journal - realNeat - AutoFem White Widow x3

The difficulties your having with sprouts come from the longer roots when you started. Same way I used to do it, and everybody I've ever come across really.

Now I simply soak in water in a warm spot for 24-36 hours and sew directly into my medium. Usually the seeds just crack before I plant them.

This picture shows how the seedling losses it's cap the natural way. I always plant mine on their side, instead of point down like the image.

ab5536373a528ebdc7b7c9ed64b0e310.jpg

Anyway the Taproot goes up then it goes back down and as the seedling Sprouts it's actually pulling the head up from below and tearing that cap off naturally.

That's a great diagram Jingo. I have basically followed suit with what I've seen from so many video tutorials - watching them crack, then allowing their taproot to grow to some length and then setting into soil root tip down. YouTuber John Berfelo in particular was one of those that I've watched.

That must be why I started out doing that, everybody does. Then you run into an old guy that just puts his seeds of quarter inch deep in the soil and forgets about them till they come up.

3rd day in soil. These are just under 2 inches in height; still only 1 autocob on them at about 36 inches 24/7. Can anyone tell me, at this current age and size, what can I expect from them within the next week? Will they continue reaching for the light, and should I think about turning on the second cob soon? When will they begin to branch?

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 56
Looking like a normal happy seedling at this point. The stem is not too long and narrow so you got enough light so far. Unless you just watered it before taking the picture it might be a little bit wet.

Don't expect to see a whole lot of growth for the next 7 days it's going to be putting roots down. Be prepared to lower your light if you see it getting spindly and starting to reach. You may possibly be able to water a little bit less. If you're using a humidity Dome or something like a plastic or glass cup over the top of your plant now is the time to have spacers underneath the Dome.

I generally start my seedlings underneath a little plastic cup and as they sprout I lift the cup up a little higher everyday and I put a few clay Pebbles underneath.

So if you're interested in My Method I might be able to find you a link somewhere. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing everything looks great[emoji106]

Good morning. Thanks Jingo.
All three plants are finally looking like that last picture; they range in height from 1.75in - 2.25in - 2.75in. And yes, I had just watered a bit before. I've also lowered the 1 cob a few more inches to 33" to top of soil. I probably won't use any dome because my humidity here is already fairly high - naturally ranging from mid 60s to low 70s RH.

Yeah, your humidity is perfect. You could start an oscillating fan over their tops if you want to start strengthening the stems.

^Ordering a couple, small fans now. I have a large oscillator on the floor with the tent door open for now.

Day 4... These sit with me in my home office, so it's hard to leave them alone and stop checking.

new.jpg

Day 5. Heights are 2.25 in and 2x 2.75 in. True leaves, tip to tip, is 1 inch on this plant.

20170731_175149.jpg

Back