Indoor 1st Grow Ever!!! WE HAVE LIFE!!! Rainbow Frost

Now theres 2! Waiting on the 3rd seed to germinate!
@Hog MaGundy thank you for the advice just changed out the jar :d5:
5D4C4FB1-9CEB-4E8B-BE8B-04448AC7AD9C.jpeg
EDAF5738-ADF1-41D1-B267-EC293C173152.jpeg

Really okay so should I stick with using a plastic water bottle instead?
YWhat's your relative humidity? You might not need anything at all. If you do use something make sure it has hole and airflow. Im a new grower but I've germinated straight into the final pot and no cover with great results

Yes, airholes or just lift the cover a bit. Set it on something to hold the bottom open. As long as it's not bone dry in the air you're probably fine with it open. Looks good too!

Thanks to you both and my humidity is usually around 60% but then I notice it drops dramatically to like 40% so I keep the dome on so when it drops and I can’t catch it I have the dome on but I will remove it once I see it start to grow like the other one. This lil issue I have will only be until I get a bigger and better humidifier. Any suggestions on good humidifiers or what to recommend for when I’m at work and need to monitor the rh. I currently have a 2 by 4 grow rent with two fans one for air in and one venting out my temperature remains good at around 75-85 degrees which is the max daytime and night lowest 72

There are two types of humidifier out there. Evaporative or Ultrasonic

They both have good and bad. The Evaporative is a bucket of water with a fan blowing over it. Cheap and they work. I use a Honeywell HCM-710 :

Evaporative and you can just pour tap water in the top. Very easy to fill. I did not want one with a reservoir I have to carry to the sink. It does have a "wick" inside that needs to be replaced every few weeks. I could usually get one 12 week auto grow from one wick before it was cruddy and gross. Wicks are cheap of of amazon.

Evaporative humidifiers are not as strong as an Ultrasonic.

I have an Ultrasonic that I use for my larger 4x4 tent. Another Honeywell product:

The HUL570B

Again a top fill design. You can remove the reservoir on this one but you do not have to. Ultrasonics are powerful and can push the RH% beyond what the air can hold. This means it can push enough moisture to create wet drips on the walls. Ultrasonic humidifiers should be used with distilled water only. They work with tap water but it will clog up the sonic emitter. If you use tap water it can and will deposit the dissolved minerals from the water on everything in your house. A fine white dust. Use distilled water and no problems.

I looked for 2 specific things when buying a humidifier:

Top fill. No lifting a tank and trying to fill and replace. You don't want to be reaching far into the tent over delicate plants with a heavy water tank that you drop.

A mechanical on/off switch. Any of the ones with a single big plastic dial on the front are mechanical. The membrane button units are usually fancier and nicer. But, if the power goes out they are usually off until you turn them back on. The mechanical switch will be on and resume if the power cuts, which brings me to my next suggestion:

Monitoring RH. The company Inkbird make some fantastic power strips that control an outlet based on temp or RH. Perfect for plugging in a humidifier to the RH side and a heater/cooler if needed to the temp side. Check out their items. You might like them for ease of use. So.... if you plug your mechanical humidifier into the Inkbird controller - It will cycle the unit on/off until the set RH% is reached. Easy, yea?

The inkbird controllers are pretty dependable. I have been using them for about 2 years. You won't be able to check the RH from work but you can be sure that the RH is being maintained.

There are two types of humidifier out there. Evaporative or Ultrasonic

They both have good and bad. The Evaporative is a bucket of water with a fan blowing over it. Cheap and they work. I use a Honeywell HCM-710 :

Evaporative and you can just pour tap water in the top. Very easy to fill. I did not want one with a reservoir I have to carry to the sink. It does have a "wick" inside that needs to be replaced every few weeks. I could usually get one 12 week auto grow from one wick before it was cruddy and gross. Wicks are cheap of of amazon.

Evaporative humidifiers are not as strong as an Ultrasonic.

I have an Ultrasonic that I use for my larger 4x4 tent. Another Honeywell product:

The HUL570B

Again a top fill design. You can remove the reservoir on this one but you do not have to. Ultrasonics are powerful and can push the RH% beyond what the air can hold. This means it can push enough moisture to create wet drips on the walls. Ultrasonic humidifiers should be used with distilled water only. They work with tap water but it will clog up the sonic emitter. If you use tap water it can and will deposit the dissolved minerals from the water on everything in your house. A fine white dust. Use distilled water and no problems.

I looked for 2 specific things when buying a humidifier:

Top fill. No lifting a tank and trying to fill and replace. You don't want to be reaching far into the tent over delicate plants with a heavy water tank that you drop.

A mechanical on/off switch. Any of the ones with a single big plastic dial on the front are mechanical. The membrane button units are usually fancier and nicer. But, if the power goes out they are usually off until you turn them back on. The mechanical switch will be on and resume if the power cuts, which brings me to my next suggestion:

Monitoring RH. The company Inkbird make some fantastic power strips that control an outlet based on temp or RH. Perfect for plugging in a humidifier to the RH side and a heater/cooler if needed to the temp side. Check out their items. You might like them for ease of use. So.... if you plug your mechanical humidifier into the Inkbird controller - It will cycle the unit on/off until the set RH% is reached. Easy, yea?

The inkbird controllers are pretty dependable. I have been using them for about 2 years. You won't be able to check the RH from work but you can be sure that the RH is being maintained.
Thank you so much for this great advice I will definitely be looking into these!!!

2nd Rainbow Frost (Day 6 Seedling stage)
1E791515-ADAA-4A9A-A948-7F7DCF25FAB6.jpeg

Had to amend the soil with a little bit of worm castings I purchased from build a soil.com and this stuff has not let me down since. So far I’ve been sticking to the dry organic way so I have a living soil and so far watered both today with ph h20 @6.7 and added 1 tsp of molasses.

Back