Blast from the Past.

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
Sitting around partying with some friends tonight The topic came up and everyone thought we should try some shrooms. It has been maybe 25 years since I have done them. The technology seems more advanced with different strains effecting different experiences.

I did a little research and I think this sounds like a good place to start. Blue Oyster?

Last edited:
Sitting around partying with some friends tonight The topic came up and everyone thought we should try some shrooms. It has been maybe 25 years since I have done them. The technology seems more advanced with different strains effecting different experiences.

I did a little research and I think this sounds like a good place to start. Golden Teacher?
been a few years since iv done them but iv only ever taken liberty caps they are native here so plenty for the picking from end of august till the first frost i would love to cultivate some of my own but nearly impossible to get the kits now it was legal to buy them up until the mid 2000s

been a few years since iv done them but iv only ever taken liberty caps they are native here so plenty for the picking from end of august till the first frost i would love to cultivate some of my own but nearly impossible to get the kits now it was legal to buy them up until the mid 2000s
I have grown "food" mushrooms in the past but that really does not compare. It was just add some water and put in a dark corner :rofl:. I have much to learn.

So any of you doing this please chime in and help with the basics. Which substates work best with this strain and what environment works best?

Personally, I started out with a random spore syringe from sporeworks.com. Then I followed a few teks. They were simple and I didn't really have to buy much to start out with.'

Google: Bod's easy AF cheapest way to get started TEK. In it he's got the substrate you need (brown rice flour cakes worked a charm for me), and also different versions with or without a pressure cooker.

My spore syringe was PF Classic, but I'm 100% positive that golden teacher would thrive using the above TEK.

I ordered the Syringes from Mushly. I have Blue Oyster coming. The site said two to three weeks for shipping so I thought I had plenty of time to get it together. I got an email from them this morning and they are on their way already :yoinks:.

I have decided to use the PF-Tek method for the first attempt. I know these are small on yield but I need to get started somewhere. I have most every piece of equipment needed on hand already except the ports for my jar lids. I have these on the way:

ScreenHunter_303 Oct. 09 11.30.jpg
ScreenHunter_303 Oct. 09 11.29.jpg

I just need to get a couple of Sterilite tubs today.

I have a UVC bulb coming to sterilize the room and SAB (still air box).

Last edited:
Sounds good! I see you already ordered the membranes, but I had zero trouble just leaving the holes in the mason jar lids open for the free air exchange. The dry verm layer at the top of the jars kept any nasties out of my colonizing shrooms.

Good luck!

^^ yep, the dry smash sized verm layer on top, just make sure to wipe any and ALL brf mix from the top of the jar before topping off with the dry verm. Then 4 holes in had kid, cover with foil. Easiest ever.
You can even spawn brf cakes to a "bulk" substrate as your next phase, if suggest a coco coir based bulk in a monotub if you want to go furthur than just pf tek.

Feel free to dm. Got 15 yrs experience.

They literally grow everywhere on Vancouver Island and have proven to be a nice addition to the medicine chest to keep me from goin crazy :headbang: Following this to learn something new :biggrin:

^^ yep, the dry smash sized verm layer on top, just make sure to wipe any and ALL brf mix from the top of the jar before topping off with the dry verm. Then 4 holes in had kid, cover with foil. Easiest ever.
You can even spawn brf cakes to a "bulk" substrate as your next phase, if suggest a coco coir based bulk in a monotub if you want to go furthur than just pf tek.

Feel free to dm. Got 15 yrs experience.
@Mara Jade Yes I believe as soon as i get the first run completed I will move to mono-tub or a pre-loaded bag that you just inoculate. Faster easier?

ScreenHunter_303 Oct. 09 12.37.jpg

I don't know yet. It has been 25 years or more since I have done shrooms so I don't know how the experience will go. Fun to grow no mater what!

I just started growing shrooms at the beginning of the year ive not tried brf tech but popcorn worked great for me i learned from Home mycology on youtube.. lots of great info there! i have tried a bag like that and didnt have much luck monotub all the way for me!

Back