Small population photo-to-auto breeding?

One of the BOGOs I got was Babylon Buster (dread bread x 88g13/HP). Wonder what that one will look like. Pink Panama has been on the want list since it came out but always manage to miss it.
Better yet, let’s say the strain that you create is becomes the main attraction in every dispensary in the country.. what are those seeds worth?
Brother it doesn’t matter what a cut or pack of seed cost.. the only thing that matters is, is it worth that to you.
So believe me I understand. But that doesn’t make a breeder work worth less than what he is asking for it.
If it’s over your budget, that’s where those crosses come to play,
If it’s something that you can live without, then there is no reason to worry about it.

Better yet, let’s say the strain that you create is becomes the main attraction in every dispensary in the country.. what are those seeds worth?
Brother it doesn’t matter what a cut or pack of seed cost.. the only thing that matters is, is it worth that to you.
So believe me I understand. But that doesn’t make a breeder work worth less than what he is asking for it.
If it’s over your budget, that’s where those crosses come to play,
If it’s something that you can live without, then there is no reason to worry about it.
Let's say that I don't think about becoming an attraction in any dispensary. Let's assume that I'm more interested in the process than the hype even though I can't say I'm completely unaffected. I like these breeders sort of like baseball cards currently. I buy a pack and hope I get a bomb card. I'm admittedly a capitalist but this is a passion/hobby. I was intrigued by your post regarding the ratios for pheno hunts.

Let's say that I don't think about becoming an attraction in any dispensary. Let's assume that I'm more interested in the process than the hype even though I can't say I'm completely unaffected. I like these breeders sort of like baseball cards currently. I buy a pack and hope I get a bomb card. I'm admittedly a capitalist but this is a passion/hobby. I was intrigued by your post regarding the ratios for pheno hunts.
I wasn't explicit about it in my original question, but I have zero interest in selling anything, establishing a brand and becoming a capital-b breeder, or any of that; I am only growing for personal use. I am specifically wondering, as a hobbyist who does pollen-chucking at a very small scale, would it even be feasible to do this kind of thing (if I'm patient)? Because while I prefer growing autos in general, there are a couple photo strains I really like, and if I could realistically work them into autoflowering form myself that would be very cool.

I wasn't explicit about it in my original question, but I have zero interest in selling anything, establishing a brand and becoming a capital-b breeder, or any of that; I am only growing for personal use. I am specifically wondering, as a hobbyist who does pollen-chucking at a very small scale, would it even be feasible to do this kind of thing (if I'm patient)? Because while I prefer growing autos in general, there are a couple photo strains I really like, and if I could realistically work them into autoflowering form myself that would be very cool.
There is nothing wrong with that, but understand, you must first cross that photo to an auto.
At that point, the taste, look, aroma will be different.
Can you still taste the original photo? Yes, but you will also taste the auto as well.
May I suggest using an auto that is similar in taste to the photo that u are using. In that manner the taste change will not be so different.

Last edited:
May I suggest using an auto that is similar in taste to the photo that u are using. In that manner the taste change will not be so different.
That's the plan. I wouldn't expect it to come out exactly like the photoperiod parent. I figured I would use Blue Microverse with Sunshine Daydream, because I wouldn't complain if the flavor profile skews toward their common blueberry lineage, and I like small/fast SOG-friendly autos. (There's also a pun there on micro-verse... :biggrin: )

Yeah bro, just do it and don’t look back. There is going to be hurdles, but that part of it.
It never hurts to pheno hunt as much as possible. The better start that you give toue project, the better the end results will be. And you can take as much time as you wish. There is no need to hurry.
You can make plans, then this awesome pheno pops out, then all those plans go out the window. Good luck

I've done this a few times.. The biggest hurdle is not being able to sample/smoke and then use the autos to further selection. The auto selections can only be made based on the look of the auto in preflower. And that doesn't tell you much. I have yet to grow an auto that I can clone, sample the clones mom, then pollinate the clone after a taste test. The clones always flower before the mom finishes. It's fun to do, but you can't lock down certain traits.

I've done this a few times.. The biggest hurdle is not being able to sample/smoke and then use the autos to further selection. The auto selections can only be made based on the look of the auto in preflower. And that doesn't tell you much. I have yet to grow an auto that I can clone, sample the clones mom, then pollinate the clone after a taste test. The clones always flower before the mom finishes. It's fun to do, but you can't lock down certain traits.
This is exactly why I pollenate all and label label label lol but that's the only way to garrentee u get the best possible out come same goes for males the more the better but I have to label branches and separate each plant pollenate 1 wile branch with 1 male another branch with another male ect and the best way is to use a small water color paint brush. I've done the above with good success but it's time consuming.

Here is what the fist Nymphos looked like. Notice the 2 different structure of plant. The Xmas tree and the strait sativa types.
172DD596-8B77-41BC-9B28-B71F108C661B.jpeg

I can take you back even further to some of the original crosses made to produce her.
EAC46B60-34C3-4975-A505-EE5875D7F16A.jpeg

I took the little lanky string bean and through selective breeding, and without any outside genetics influences and shaped into what I like. You can see how the 2 different structured plant were blended together.
52458BC1-99A8-4E5D-B3FB-B76D0918152E.jpeg

That’s pheno hunting because they all didn’t look like that.
C8BC44AE-8124-42BF-A01D-15C1AC1AC331.jpeg

I began to breed for compact and support. Also I breed for continuing bud from the bottom of the stem.
B53CFA73-75A1-4E77-9E22-835D48A5E0D6.jpeg

I pheno hunted those traits as well to make the Nympho what you see today.
638E8AA3-A472-43C4-95D8-4FFC4C22D00C.jpeg
5C8DFC13-192C-46F8-B70A-91DD14C4EDE7.jpeg

Here is some young Nymphos. Notice the same structure exists in @Boognelson87 Murdah Cookies cookie Nympho cross.
C55D3FF8-82D3-40FB-818B-616F1224F8F5.jpeg
59624578-571D-4F9C-A3EE-E04E30FC6EC2.jpeg

there are many reasons to pheno hunt. Here is my hunt for structure that you can see. So it’s a physical trait. What you don’t see is the hunt for finishing time, health and vigor, trich production, Terps and greasiness. Those are the thing that only the breeder can see because the consumer only knows that it is there.
So once you get genetics where you want them, it time to test them out. What better way than making crosses. This way you can see how your creations passes it genes.
Seeing your created genetics carried in a cross is what breeding is all about.
AC247148-7ACE-4639-A179-305B06CE8DA1.jpeg
DC98D3C8-9F11-4480-A903-209033812CBA.jpeg
0B30AF13-6575-449E-AB24-59C292B8CB7D.jpeg

Can you lock down a terp or taste…. No. You can bring them to being so similar that only a connoisseur will notice the difference, but there still will be a difference when producing for seed.
Can you get predictable potency? Yes If you breed for potency. The difference in potency should be so slight that no one should notice it. You should not have to pheno hunt for potency and that’s just my opinion.
If a strain is bred correctly, you will immediately know it’s that strain every time you smoke it.
Your strain will be as good as the work that you put into it. You can do it their way, or you can to it your way and make it the best that you can.

Back