Grow Mediums XL pots required for tall plants?

Reaction score
I have the 4x8 Gorilla Grow Tent with height extension. I also have LED lights, so I can take them to about 6 feet high. I'm about to buy an Autopot system.

I know the general consensus is that the 3.9 gal containers are more then enough. But if i'm looking to grow taller/bigger plants to utilize the height extension, should I go for the XL plastic pots instead of the smaller 3.9 gallon plastic pots?

I was thinking of running 8 at a time.

Given the additional height I have, is the XL the way to go? Or am I still better off getting the regular 3.9 gallon version?

Thanks everyone!

@Lakep :welcome:Welcome to AFN :welcome:After genetics, it is more about your skill level in the methods you are using than about pot size.

I grew these in 6 inch rock wool cubes:
_DSC1900.JPG

I have 68 inches of vertical grow space and had to super crop several times.

If you want to grow tall plants work out a support system before you plant. These were a real challenge :crying:.

:goodluck:

@Lakep :welcome:Welcome to AFN :welcome:After genetics, it is more about your skill level in the methods you are using than about pot size.

I grew these in 6 inch rock wool cubes:
View attachment 1283448

I have 68 inches of vertical grow space and had to super crop several times.

If you want to grow tall plants work out a support system before you plant. These were a real challenge :crying:.

:goodluck:
I was going to reference this EXACT post from you. I had previously asked a very similar question re: 2.2-3.9-6+ gal pots.

For what it’s worth I had a 4x7 tent and all I could fit in there properly was three 3.9 pots. With a heater, dehu, and some clip on fans it was pretty crowded. 8 pots could possibly be too many. That’s my :2cents: but I am also very new to the hobby. Good luck on the adventure

Back