Week 4 of flower issues - CBD strain

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mac & Cheese, Primal Punch, Arise
This doesn’t seem to be a bad problem (yet) but I want to get on it early. It seems like something ALWAYS comes up around week 3-4 of flower. Ugh! Not sure what it is but I’m thinking a calcium deficiency? Hopefully @Waira and @namvet25 can help out. I give her CalMag with all water so I dont know how she could be having either a calcium or a magnesium deficiency. Notice the small stippling of brown spots on the tips of some of the older fan leaves. There’s a slight yellowing on the upper leaves coming out of the flower; but that’s right where the frost is appearing.

It’s a CBD strain (CBD OG Kush) and it’s putting on some nice trichomes already. It’s been a very vigorous and health plant with ZERO issues until now. I used my Accurate 8 soil probe to check soil pH and it shows 5.2 but I’m not sure that’s right. I may have a faulty unit because it gave me results very different than my slurry tests on some other soil. In any case, here’s the conditions lowdown....

Strain: CBD Crew - CBD OG Kush
Day 26 of flower
Medium: Roots Organic soil w/ EWC, Kelp meal and P guano in 5 gallon smart pots
Feeding: GH CalMag (1tsp/gallon) + Roots Organic HPK. 1 feeding per week. All watering get the CalMag 1tsp of MicroBlast added to feed every 2 weeks. Always pH’d to 6.5 Recharge and Mammoth P used every 2 weeks.
Water: RO pH’d to 6.5
Lighting: 600w HLG LED @ 3000k 20”-24” above canopy.

46982000-FCB8-4B40-B9B8-2167B73F0A49.jpeg

407D87F9-070B-43B2-AD9B-2B09365046D4.jpeg

9713F30F-CF8D-41D4-B142-4D41F9035049.jpeg

874E0878-D12D-4F84-A33C-2D7E2565A01B.jpeg

202B71D6-5C8A-45B9-A7E2-ECE38554892A.jpeg

Here are some closeups of the spotting....
8A372E96-2BA7-422C-BE9D-FBE9365627CE.jpeg

B5500DE0-66B2-499E-A39B-DD07A4CB8DCD.jpeg

I don’t see any bigs anywhere and here’s a shot of their favorite hiding spot and there are zero bugs in sight that I can see..
4064238F-2B09-4F16-8F3B-9C35AD96CF87.jpeg

Do you have any yellowing of the lower leaves? like bottom of the plant?

Do you have any yellowing of the lower leaves? like bottom of the plant?

No sir. But I have a DP Auto Ultimate in the tent next to her that has very similar speckling at the leaf tips and along the margins of the leaves; and the Auto Ultimate’s oldest and biggest fan leaves, at the bottom, ARE yellowing badly. Any ideas?

Maybe @Weed Warrior has some ideas.

Calmag locks out under 6.2 in dirt

This doesn’t seem to be a bad problem (yet) but I want to get on it early. It seems like something ALWAYS comes up around week 3-4 of flower. Ugh! Not sure what it is but I’m thinking a calcium deficiency? Hopefully @Waira and @namvet25 can help out. I give her CalMag with all water so I dont know how she could be having either a calcium or a magnesium deficiency. Notice the small stippling of brown spots on the tips of some of the older fan leaves. There’s a slight yellowing on the upper leaves coming out of the flower; but that’s right where the frost is appearing.

It’s a CBD strain (CBD OG Kush) and it’s putting on some nice trichomes already. It’s been a very vigorous and health plant with ZERO issues until now. I used my Accurate 8 soil probe to check soil pH and it shows 5.2 but I’m not sure that’s right. I may have a faulty unit because it gave me results very different than my slurry tests on some other soil. In any case, here’s the conditions lowdown....

Strain: CBD Crew - CBD OG Kush
Day 26 of flower
Medium: Roots Organic soil w/ EWC, Kelp meal and P guano in 5 gallon smart pots
Feeding: GH CalMag (1tsp/gallon) + Roots Organic HPK. 1 feeding per week. All watering get the CalMag 1tsp of MicroBlast added to feed every 2 weeks. Always pH’d to 6.5 Recharge and Mammoth P used every 2 weeks.
Water: RO pH’d to 6.5
Lighting: 600w HLG LED @ 3000k 20”-24” above canopy.

View attachment 1015963

View attachment 1015964

View attachment 1015965

View attachment 1015966

View attachment 1015967

Here are some closeups of the spotting....
View attachment 1015969

View attachment 1015971

I don’t see any bigs anywhere and here’s a shot of their favorite hiding spot and there are zero bugs in sight that I can see..
View attachment 1015972
I've had leaves kinda like that, but i'm way to much of a rookie to know why-----
SingleShot0006 - Copy (2).jpg
SingleShot0015.jpg
SingleShot0004 - Copy (2).jpg

Calmag locks out under 6.2 in dirt

Yeah, I think I’ll try treating it as a Ca deficiency. I’ve been too busy at work to do a slurry test but if my A8 is correct (showin 5.2), that’d explain the problem. I’m going to top dress with a little Ag lime in the morning and feed/water at 7.0 for week or two. I’ll keep checking the soil pH to make sure it doesn’t swing too hard the other way. Like I said in my original post, Ca was my suspect but I’m not confident enough to start throwing ‘fixes’ without confirmation of my diagnosis.

Thanks bro!

:pass:

I’ve had this issue before, where pH swings low around week 3-4 of flower. I mean, I’ve had it on a REGULAR basis, despite using multiple bagged soils and home mixes. Weirdest thing. Wish I could figure out what I’m doing to cause it. I haven’t used any salt based nutes on either plants except for the ocaisional dose of Earth Juice MicroBlast and a couple light doses of fish Hydrolysate a month ago. Trying to go all organic and living soil, in part because I thought the bottled nutes were building up and causing pH swings. Goodness, what a PITA mystery!

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I’ll try treating it as a Ca deficiency. I’ve been too busy at work to do a slurry test but if my A8 is correct (showin 5.2), that’d explain the problem. I’m going to top dress with a little Ag lime in the morning and feed/water at 7.0 for week or two. I’ll keep checking the soil pH to make sure it doesn’t swing too hard the other way. Like I said in my original post, Ca was my suspect but I’m not confident enough to start throwing ‘fixes’ without confirmation of my diagnosis.

Thanks bro!

:pass:

I’ve had this issue before, where pH swings low around week 3-4 of flower. I mean, I’ve had it on a REGULAR basis, despite using multiple bagged soils and home mixes. Weirdest thing. Wish I could figure out what I’m doing to cause it. I haven’t used any salt based nutes on either plants except for the ocaisional dose of Earth Juice MicroBlast and a couple light doses of fish Hydrolysate a month ago. Trying to go all organic and living soil, in part because I thought the bottled nutes were building up and causing pH swings. Goodness, what a PITA mystery!
I have had the same issue and last couple weeks of life they get ph 7 water until I see deficiency show. But most of the time they are fine up until chop.

I have had the same issue and last couple weeks of life they get ph 7 water until I see deficiency show. But most of the time they are fine up until chop.
Is the final flush supposed to be PH 7 plain water? I have been going with 6.5, doe's that make any difference?:jointman:

Is the final flush supposed to be PH 7 plain water? I have been going with 6.5, doe's that make any difference?:jointman:
Not sure I don't give mine anything but straight tap after sitting out for last 2-3 weeks. But that's just me, I'm sure everyone does there own thing with same end results.

My tap starts at 8.5 but after 3 days its down to 7 to 7.5.

Back