Live Stoners Vern from SW Michigan... new to recreational Marijuana

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Zkittlez, Phantom OG
I grew up on a farm in NW Nebraska. Rather dry country. Grew apples, and wine grapes in Nebraska before moving in 1999 to take a job as a winemaker in SW Michigan. Since Michigan became voted in for legal Recreational, and allow adults to grow 12 plants, that's what I'm doing. Now, here in Michigan, we are plagued with rainy weather around harvest time for grapes in the late fall. So I choose to grow Autoflower and avoid the powdery mildew, rains, and other things that happen toward the end of growing season.

Glad to be here!

Just a bit more... I was born in 1953 and most of my life has been weed free. In fact, I was a Deputy for a County in Nebraska in the mid 1980 and left law enforcement around 1996. Worked after that at Cabela's and then for a company that made parts for Caterpillar Heavy Equipment. There I was a radial drill press operator, similar to what I did back in the late 1970 working at Boeing, in Seattle. Then the economy started going south and not as many bulldozers, and earth movers were being sold, so they cut back.. and cut back hours, until many of us were laid off. After lay off I started helping folks get vineyards going and some looking at small winery start ups. That's when I found a listing for a winery in MI looking for a winemaker that knew something about grapes. I was hired in fall of 1999 and been out here ever sense. Yes, I know about diseases, pests, grape maturity, etc etc and wrote many spray and work orders for the vineyards in the earlier years. Finally hired a vineyard manager and I spent more time in the lab working on the wines and less dealing directly with the grapes. So, I do have a knowledge of agriculture, and somewhat diverse in different growing situation, but Marijuana is a new one for me. Seems kind of hard to screw up the growing of a weed. LOL

Michigan voted in legalized marijuana for recreation in November 2018 and it became "legal" in December 2018. From that point forward I started looking at seeds to get . We get to grow 12 plants per household. My wife thinks it should be 12 plants for each adult in the household, but I think if our autoflowers do well, we should be able to grow enough , maybe staggered growing, to keep us in weed until the following summer/harvest.

My wife and and I died in the wool staunch advocates of Marijuana legalization and she fears that big pharma will encroach and make so many rules that the mom & pop growers will be up against a hard spot. Marijuana needs to be taken off the Schedule 1 drug classification and then modify the ATF form 4473 to remove the words "Marijuana" from the restrictions. They have no restrictions against people who use alcohol or smoke cigarettes... nor do they question if you are on some prescription opioid ... OR OTHER, and yet those are not considered. Neither should Marijuana. Just my thoughts.

THANK you admins for this site that someone like me can come and hang and learn and perhaps give some decent advice. I DO read a lot and browse many articles on the web. Books I have are Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Growers Handbook, The Cannabis Breeders Bible, Marijuana Growers Guide by Mel Frank, and an oldie "Marijuana Grower's Guide" by Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal . Great reading!!

Hey there, nice to meet you. I'm in Michigan too, and thankful for everyone's hard work at getting this law passed. I was 'sober' as you say for most of my life, too. I just don't like playing with the law. My wife died from colon cancer in her late 40s and I got a caregiver card too late to help her. Glad this won't happen to anyone else in future. I've been in the greenhouse industry for years, and yeah this is different but it's a lot easier than people make out. Best of luck in your endevours.

I came from Nebraska where there is TONS of it growing wild, with no help or intervention... other than people sparying it with Roundup and other herbicides to eradicate it. The landrace cannabis there is said to possible be the most diverse genetically in all America. There are even those area that when all other crops wither and die from drought, the cannabis has mutated so that it is nearly immune to drought. Everything else dries up and you can find green patches of "weed". In fact " A 1987 study noted that 12.4 million cannabis plants were eradicated in Nebraska annually" over 12million plants a year and the stuff still survives! So , as was said, growing does not need to be complicated. Enough light, right about of water and does not take a pletora of various nutrients to keep this "weed" flourishing. B

I would say seed quality and genetics is far more important to the grower than who's soil or what special light you use (if in doors) within reason. I simply use a mixture of cheaper potting soil mixed in the a good portion of Miracle Grow potting soil and put them in fiber grow bags. Right now they are outside, from starts of good seeds sprouted in peat pots indoors.... Zkittlez Auto, Wipe Out Auto, Cookies and Cream Auto, Pink Kush CBD 30:1 Auto, Bubbleicious Auto, Royal Creamatic Auto, Mohan Ram Auto. Seemed like good stains I got from www.seedsman.com Funny thing is all the seed were shipped USPS inside the USA. 2 packages from CA and one from OK. Since hemp seeds and marijuana seeds are indistinguishable from each other I think we will see a lot more seeds being shipped around. They even came with packaging that showed that they were souvenir seeds and what they were, not special coverup or stealth at all.

20190413_114928 (Large).jpg

I grew up on a farm in NW Nebraska. Rather dry country. Grew apples, and wine grapes in Nebraska before moving in 1999 to take a job as a winemaker in SW Michigan. Since Michigan became voted in for legal Recreational, and allow adults to grow 12 plants, that's what I'm doing. Now, here in Michigan, we are plagued with rainy weather around harvest time for grapes in the late fall. So I choose to grow Autoflower and avoid the powdery mildew, rains, and other things that happen toward the end of growing season.

Glad to be here!
Upper Peninsula here man. Welcome!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back