Ventilation Question - help and ideas please :)

Slow Progress
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
'Auto Xtreme' (Dutch Passion) & 'Fast 2 Vast' (Heavyweight)
Hi all, hope every one is good. I am new here, 1st grow for 10 years. Set up new room, W1m x L3m x H2m. Running a 1200W Philzon LED lamp. Its an attic room, temps can get a little high during afternoon up to 31oC is highest it has been. I am running lights 18/6. 18.00 on and off at 12.00. I have an 6"intake fan which is sucking fresh air in from outside via air brick into room and I am running a Rhino Pro Carbon Filter with an 8"extraction fan, this is sucking air out of room vented out through a 2nd air brick outside the room. The air exchange is good. The problem is my humidity is at 40 with both fans running 24x7...perfect for bloom/harvest but during the veg stage I am trying to keep RH 50-65. If I turn the Rhino off, the humidity increases rapidly to 45-50. I have wet towels draped on hangers which is helping. Is it wise to put the Rhino on a timer so it comes on for an hour every 3 hours to exchange the air and then run it 24 x 7 when I am flowering or do I need to run it at all during veg? since I have fresh air coming in 24x7 from the 6" intake fan? I am learning as I go, so far my 4 seedlings have survived a few mistakes, are a little stunted as a result and I am not expecting to get great results.... am hoping to learn as much as I can so I can get it right for the next seeds I get.

This evening I put the Rhino on a timer, timed to go on for an hour then off for 3 but I am worried that this will shorten the lifespan of the motor if it goes on and off ... although my dumb logic is that my bathroom extractor fan is always being switched on and off dependant on use of bathroom..... but appreciate this could be totally irrelevant. I am not very technical and have no clue how to adjust the speed on the fans, there isn't any dials on them, are there products I could buy to adapt the fan speed maybe? I would really appreciate some advice.

How many plants you growing? Maybe create a cubical around your plants, or section off an area you can fit your plants in while they are small to help keep the humidity up or get a couple humidifiers.

I run an Inkbird controller, https://www.ink-bird.com/products-humidity-controller-ihc200.html

I have Humidifiers and De-humidifier controlled by it. I was able to dial in the humidity without a hitch.

Here is a VPD chart, just in case you ain't got one.
1589504974407.gif

Hi @Dory :welcome:Welcome to AFN :welcome:If your intake air is running with the exhaust fan off where is the air going?

Turning a fan motor on and off will wear it more than letting it run continuously but not enough to be a concern. With today's modern materials and fit it is negligible.

I have to run a humidifier many months out of the summer until the plants get big enough to humidify the space with transpiration.

ScreenHunter_246 Jan. 28 22.20.jpg

How many plants you growing? Maybe create a cubical around your plants, or section off an area you can fit your plants in while they are small to help keep the humidity up or get a couple humidifiers.

I run an Inkbird controller, https://www.ink-bird.com/products-humidity-controller-ihc200.html

I have Humidifiers and De-humidifier controlled by it. I was able to dial in the humidity without a hitch.

Here is a VPD chart, just in case you ain't got one.
View attachment 1193094
Thanks for your replies @DiamondDogHair and @ManOGreen. I have only 4 plants atm but have space for 6-8. It isn't going to be possible to create a cubical around them.... but I do have bottle top style domes I could place around them until they are bigger, I was worried they may get too hot under the plastic. The lamp is 40" above plants I am looking at humidifiers, I did have a 5 litre humidifier by Honeywell but it broke down after a week of use so is now being returned and we then decided to rethink the room, it has only been by monitoring it over past few weeks have I been able to experience the variables created by weather here. Its been variable. Night temps in the room are falling to lowest 20oc (lamp running at night) which seems OK but day time pms it can get hot in there when we have hots days, which we are having a few per week atm. The weather is really changeable here. I am going to order another humidifier today, seems this is going to be the best solution.

The ink-bird looks good, but tech wise is a bit above my head ..... is this used to control the fan speed, in turn controlling the humidity? Sorry for being a bit dim, this is all so new to me, but I want to get things right. I've been looking at fan controllers, but am not sure how they connect to the fans. My partner has installed the fans but we are both on a learning curve I will show him the ink-bird. So much to learn.... I am growing for medical use, so I am really grateful to everyone here who has helped me so far, I would be lost without the input from AFN members who have offered support, so thank you so much.

Hi @Dory :welcome:Welcome to AFN :welcome:If your intake air is running with the exhaust fan off where is the air going?

Turning a fan motor on and off will wear it more than letting it run continuously but not enough to be a concern. With today's modern materials and fit it is negligible.

I have to run a humidifier many months out of the summer until the plants get big enough to humidify the space with transpiration.

View attachment 1193101
I can't get this shipped to my country but have found this one which seems adequate? Would this be suitable? If I were to use this I could run both fans continuously and I am guessing the humidifier would maintain the RH and hopefully cool the air a little too?
Amazon product

I can't get this shipped to my country but have found this one which seems adequate? Would this be suitable? If I were to use this I could run both fans continuously and I am guessing the humidifier would maintain the RH and hopefully cool the air a little too?
Amazon product

It is better than nothing but the ultrasonic do not put as much water in the air and they seem to wear out rapidly. It is the type I was using prior to my current model. Wetting towels gets old fast :rofl:.

It is better than nothing but the ultrasonic do not put as much water in the air and they seem to wear out rapidly. It is the type I was using prior to my current model. Wetting towels gets old fast :rofl:.

That's worth knowing, thank you for the heads up. I will try to see if I can get the AirCare delivered to my location. The search is on :) Thanks again for your reply. Appreciated greatly.

That's worth knowing, thank you for the heads up. I will try to see if I can get the AirCare delivered to my location. The search is on :) Thanks again for your reply. Appreciated greatly.
There are other brands that are copy cats and work equally well. Just search for humidifiers.

There are other brands that are copy cats and work equally well. Just search for humidifiers.
Thanks so much... having done some more research, I am considering these two together, think it might be worth the extra pennies, have you ever come across this one before?

Back