Mephisto Genetics UPDATED Seed starting advice in real time with slowandeasy

slowandeasy

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Alright I have noticed some people around here are having issues with starting seeds lately. I will admit, the cold winter delayed mine a couple times. No failures, but took longer at times. So...I will revive my old seed starting technique for all of you. I will add as much detail and pics as possible. For this technique I will be using 5oz cups of straight Coco to start my seeds. I personally like to transplant unless I am using small pots. I think plants start faster this way. I feed them super fast and transplant by day 7-10.

One of the most important things is to have your starting area about 80F, give or take 5deg. Below that will take longer or fail. I poke 4 holes in bottom of a 5oz cup of Coco and use slightly diluted nutes to precharge the cup of Coco. I use another 5oz cup without holes as a future feeder cup with it. I would suggest trying 1/2 -3/4 strength nutes your precharge. Water slowly to minimal runoff. Let this cup sit in your grow room over night.

Next I will take a small cup and use RO water to fill it up a tad. Next I will add my seeds. For this I will be using a couple Sour Crinkle seeds. So literally, here we go. I will add 2 seeds to a plastic spoon, I NEVER touch seeds with my hands.
Now let's go sit this one top of a warm/dark spot overnight. These will be planted Directly tomorrow morning...about 10 hours from now or so. I will add pics again then.
IMG_20180417_233622.jpg

I am doing this in real time, so the next steps will be added tomorrow. Just let your seeds sit overnight and your cups of Coco left inside tent to warm up with domes on. If you have your temps about 80F and follow this step by step, your seeds will germinate unless they are bad. After soaking your seeds overnight they will not need a ton of moisture. So once we plant them, DON'T spray, water, or touch the Coco. You will put another 5oz cup on top as a dome. This will keep plenty of moisture and humidity until the seed is above ground. Patience, in a few days we will have seedlings. Steady temps are important for seed starting, without that any method will take longer or could have issues. I hope this helps people. Peace, slowandeasy

Last edited:
Alright I have noticed some people around here are having issues with starting seeds lately. I will admit, the cold winter delayed mine a couple times. No failures, but took longer at times. So...I will revive my old seed starting technique for all of you. I will add as much detail and pics as possible. For this technique I will be using 5oz cups of straight Coco to start my seeds. I personally like to transplant unless I am using small pots. I think plants start faster this way. I feed them super fast and transplant by day 7-10.

One of the most important things is to have your starting area about 80F, give or take 5deg. Below that will take longer or fail. I poke 4 holes in bottom of a 5oz cup of Coco and use slightly diluted nutes to precharge the cup of Coco. I use another 5oz cup without holes as a future feeder cup with it. I would suggest trying 1/2 -3/4 strength nutes your precharge. Water slowly to minimal runoff. Let this cup sit in your grow room over night.

Next I will take a small cup and use RO water to fill it up a tad. Next I will add my seeds. For this I will be using a couple Sour Crinkle seeds. So literally, here we go. I will add 2 seeds to a plastic spoon, I NEVER touch seeds with my hands.
Now let's go sit this one top of a warm/dark spot overnight. These will be planted Directly tomorrow morning...about 10 hours from now or so. I will add pics again then. View attachment 893795

I am doing this in real time, so the next steps will be added tomorrow. Just let your seeds sit overnight and your cups of Coco left inside tent to warm up with domes on. If you have your temps about 80F and follow this step by step, your seeds will germinate unless they are bad. After soaking your seeds overnight they will not need a ton of moisture. So once we plant them, DON'T spray, water, or touch the Coco. You will put another 5oz cup on top as a dome. This will keep plenty of moisture and humidity until the seed is above ground. Patience, in a few days we will have seedlings. Steady temps are important for seed starting, without that any method will take longer or could have issues. I hope this helps people. Peace, slowandeasy

In for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the reason for never touching the seeds with your hands? I can assure someone else already has before you got them.

What is the reason for never touching the seeds with your hands? I can assure someone else already has before you got them.
I can assure any reputable breeder is not fondling seeds with bare hands. Use gloves, your hands are dirty, have oils, and can aide in low germ rates. Why give yourself a chance at failure for being lazy?

Ok, just planted the seeds. About 9 hours later. The next step is to remove a spoonful of Coco and place the seed in the small divot. Using your spoon, get a seed out of the cup along with some water. Dump the seed in the divot.
IMG_20180418_091824.jpg

Gently cover the seed with the spoonful of Coco you removed.
Now add your cover cup and place in grow room. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING. They don't need anything. Just keep them covered and your temps up about 80f. In a couple of days we will have seedlings.
IMG_20180418_092307.jpg

I can assure any reputable breeder is not fondling seeds with bare hands. Use gloves, your hands are dirty, have oils, and can aide in low germ rates. Why give yourself a chance at failure for being lazy?

Fair enough. Seems overkill to me but seeds are expensive and you are right, why not take every measure you can to ensure success.

Sounds like you take great care to ensure your seeds are all well taken care of. If you don’t mind me asking, how do you store your seeds? I’m developing a bit of a collection and I’d never really given it any thought. Sorry if it seems like I’ve derailed your thread in any way. Just genuinely curious.

Fair enough. Seems overkill to me but seeds are expensive and you are right, why not take every measure you can to ensure success.

Sounds like you take great care to ensure your seeds are all well taken care of. If you don’t mind me asking, how do you store your seeds? I’m developing a bit of a collection and I’d never really given it any thought. Sorry if it seems like I’ve derailed your thread in any way. Just genuinely curious.
It's not overkill, seeds are expensive and fragile. Some people have a really hard time starting seeds, luckily I don't. Or maybe it's because I do things consistently and take precautions. Either way, find a method...follow it to a T each time and it reduces failure. I have all mine in a dark/Airtight storage box in a cool spot.. Keep out of excessive heat and light.

Last edited:
Back