Outdoor UK summer back yard grow

3 strains on the go this year started a few days apart :) currently 3 weeks in with the oldest and just under 2 weeks with the youngest... Started in fibre cups and transplanted straight in to pots in the garden at around a week old. Not expecting miracles as it's my first go but I guess we'll see

Blue Dream'matic auto - 2 weeks

View attachment 924002

View attachment 924005

View attachment 924006
This one actually started out with 1 cotyledon so I'm amazed it's pulled through as it looked as though it was going to die as soon as it sprouted but with a bit of TLC its doing really well !

RQS northern light auto - week 3

View attachment 924004

Barney's Peyote Critical photo - day 12

View attachment 924003
Looking good so far! I have 7 polar express's which are a northern lights cross and so far there very hardy, shouldn't have many issues with NL. Rest look good too.

I'd like to share my experiences with pests with you. Spider mites have not made a single appearance for me in central Scotland, just south of Edinburgh....I think the humidity and lack of consistent heat (usually) keeps spider mites away, however watch out for thrips! They've been tanning my fan leaves like mad and are hard to spot, they fly and suck the sap out leaves....the damage starts as white markings on leaf tops, which then goes brown and crispy. They are about a mm to 2mm long the adults. Spray some neem oil every week or 2 upto flowering, don't spray in flower however. I'll post pictures of what to look for. Having so many plants in your greenhouse however, you'll have more beneficial insects than I do. Northern lights strains Ian's crosses will be low smell... I have a gorilla glue seedling and I'm worried that will STINK! My polar expresses however is preflowering like crazy and can't smell a thing :D

Pics are of stage 1 and 2 thrips damage

Attachments

• IMG_20180729_154556.jpg
    IMG_20180729_154556.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 179
I'd like to share my experiences with pests with you. Spider mites have not made a single appearance for me in central Scotland, just south of Edinburgh....I think the humidity and lack of consistent heat (usually) keeps spider mites away, however watch out for thrips! They've been tanning my fan leaves like mad and are hard to spot, they fly and suck the sap out leaves....the damage starts as white markings on leaf tops, which then goes brown and crispy. They are about a mm to 2mm long the adults. Spray some neem oil every week or 2 upto flowering, don't spray in flower however. I'll post pictures of what to look for. Having so many plants in your greenhouse however, you'll have more beneficial insects than I do. Northern lights strains Ian's crosses will be low smell... I have a gorilla glue seedling and I'm worried that will STINK! My polar expresses however is preflowering like crazy and can't smell a thing :D

Pics are of stage 1 and 2 thrips damage

Thanks man, good luck with your grow ! I'm lucky I've not had much issue with pests at all ! I've heard great things about RQS so I'm confident of their strong genetics. The only issue I've had is aphids but I've kept on top of picking them off and I've noticed a few spiders/lady bugs helping me out so I've not had to use any sprays on the plants. One of my main concerns is mold which I can't really control outdoors and vine weevil as the buggers seem to get everywhere in my garden. I found one on the edge of my hanging strawberry baskets about 6ft above the ground so believe me if they want to eat it they get to it somehow lol. The weather is awful at the moment so they're all crammed in the greenhouse which isn't ideal but at least they're not being rained on. The smell isn't so bad at the moment, only when I first open the greenhouse it pongs then dissapates... I'll do another proper update when the weather picks up by the end of the week hopefully !

Thanks man, good luck with your grow ! I'm lucky I've not had much issue with pests at all ! I've heard great things about RQS so I'm confident of their strong genetics. The only issue I've had is aphids but I've kept on top of picking them off and I've noticed a few spiders/lady bugs helping me out so I've not had to use any sprays on the plants. One of my main concerns is mold which I can't really control outdoors and vine weevil as the buggers seem to get everywhere in my garden. I found one on the edge of my hanging strawberry baskets about 6ft above the ground so believe me if they want to eat it they get to it somehow lol. The weather is awful at the moment so they're all crammed in the greenhouse which isn't ideal but at least they're not being rained on. The smell isn't so bad at the moment, only when I first open the greenhouse it pongs then dissapates... I'll do another proper update when the weather picks up by the end of the week hopefully !

Your so lucky not having pest problems! My cannabis plants haven't had it too bad, it's funny I've not had aphid or gnat problems at all with them but my indoor chilli's have had aphids and gnats at times and it's taken me a while to cull the populations, my front garden with a 20 strong sunflower bed has had major leafhopper damage in the form of blotch miners and some other miner and shotholed leaves can be observed everywhere but they should pull through to harvest. My pumpkins have been hit with squash beetles and my cannabis plants with thrips... This hot Indian summer we have had here in the UK has caused the insect ecosystems to thrive unfortunately so it's a double edged sword. Can't have it all I guess. I think you have the right idea with having so many plants, beneficial insects seem to amass when beneficial planting regimes are followed. I'm going to the garden centre next week to buy some cilantro, chives, peppermint and a few other herbs bad bugs hate the smell of...also heard essential oil extracts are very good for soil drenches and spraying the general area. I have a few empty pots with cinnamon, chili powder and garlic sprinkled in the bottom, hopefully the smells will deter certain critters.

As for bud rot (botrytis) I have 2 fans oscillating on my plants 24/7 i just run an extension reel out and will get another fan this week, the constant strong breeze over the plants makes a big difference at keeping bud rot at bay, I would thoroughly recommend you put a few decently powered fans out there, the electricity bill is negligible but remember to have a fan at the front AND behind the plants as the back can rot even if there's a fan on front, follow this advice and botrytis should stay well away.

I also have a dedicated fan for my 6 seedling containers which strengthens and thickens up the stalks making stronger plants, thicker stalks means thicker cell walls, thicker cell walls more resilient to disease. Potassium also has an impact on cell wall structure so make sure they are getting enough NPK.

Good luck and I'll follow the grow!

Your so lucky not having pest problems! My cannabis plants haven't had it too bad, it's funny I've not had aphid or gnat problems at all with them but my indoor chilli's have had aphids and gnats at times and it's taken me a while to cull the populations, my front garden with a 20 strong sunflower bed has had major leafhopper damage in the form of blotch miners and some other miner and shotholed leaves can be observed everywhere but they should pull through to harvest. My pumpkins have been hit with squash beetles and my cannabis plants with thrips... This hot Indian summer we have had here in the UK has caused the insect ecosystems to thrive unfortunately so it's a double edged sword. Can't have it all I guess. I think you have the right idea with having so many plants, beneficial insects seem to amass when beneficial planting regimes are followed. I'm going to the garden centre next week to buy some cilantro, chives, peppermint and a few other herbs bad bugs hate the smell of...also heard essential oil extracts are very good for soil drenches and spraying the general area. I have a few empty pots with cinnamon, chili powder and garlic sprinkled in the bottom, hopefully the smells will deter certain critters.

As for bud rot (botrytis) I have 2 fans oscillating on my plants 24/7 i just run an extension reel out and will get another fan this week, the constant strong breeze over the plants makes a big difference at keeping bud rot at bay, I would thoroughly recommend you put a few decently powered fans out there, the electricity bill is negligible but remember to have a fan at the front AND behind the plants as the back can rot even if there's a fan on front, follow this advice and botrytis should stay well away.

I also have a dedicated fan for my 6 seedling containers which strengthens and thickens up the stalks making stronger plants, thicker stalks means thicker cell walls, thicker cell walls more resilient to disease. Potassium also has an impact on cell wall structure so make sure they are getting enough NPK.

:smoking: thankyou !

The companion planting is great :biggrin::d5:if you can manage to plant Basil in the soil next to your plants you'll be amazed at how Sticky they get as Basil increases Oil & Resin production of neighbouring plants :eyebrows:

Back