Show Grows 2023 Twenty20 Mendocino Spring 2023 Grow & Show

Still nothing from mine. Rooters and heat mat will be here by noon. No more BS chances of germing beans. This run's success has been poopydoody!
Homie ain't playin' no mo'!

A heat mat is a valuable tool. I keep the grow space 80°F and 70% RH with the system I am using now and I have good results ~80% on cannabis seeds. With pepper seeds for the garden I use a heat mat @85°F. for about 60% germination. Even with all my tricks sometimes you just get unlucky with the seeds you get. It happens to all of us. Good luck!

Our Bubble Tricks are a week above soil today. Haven't needed to water them yet, just giving them a morning misting. I swapped my lights around in the tent, they're under 4000k Cree Cobs now.

0502230358_HDR.jpg

0502230359.jpg

0502230359a.jpg

0502230359b.jpg

0502230359c.jpg

Those are different...the bags...you can tighten the top? What to hold moisture?
Yeah the help keep the soil moist and covered. The brand is Royal pots, I found a bunch on eBay a few years ago. Haven't found a similar cinch top pot recently or I'd pick up some larger sizes.

Yeah the help keep the soil moist and covered. The brand is Royal pots, I found a bunch on eBay a few years ago. Haven't found a similar cinch top pot recently or I'd pick up some larger sizes.
I just havnt seen any like that...it's pretty cool....

A heat mat is a valuable tool. I keep the grow space 80°F and 70% RH with the system I am using now and I have good results ~80% on cannabis seeds. With pepper seeds for the garden I use a heat mat @85°F. for about 60% germination. Even with all my tricks sometimes you just get unlucky with the seeds you get. It happens to all of us. Good luck!
Coming from the customer service perspective with a heck of a lot of data, I can definitively say that heat mats are the number #1 cause of poor germination rates. Not to say that they aren't a valuable tool but as man o green stated, the temp and humidity must be controlled properly. Over 90% of the germination complaints we receive involve people using heat mats. They definitely increase the speed in which seeds germinate but they also incubate the medium and surrounding area with the perfect temperature and humidity for pathogens and diseases. I'm not trying to change anybody's opinions, simply stating our observations based on plenty of user submitted data. @WildBill if you would like more seeds or if you would like me to send some pre-germinated just let me know brother!

Coming from the customer service perspective with a heck of a lot of data, I can definitively say that heat mats are the number #1 cause of poor germination rates. Not to say that they aren't a valuable tool but as man o green stated, the temp and humidity must be controlled properly. Over 90% of the germination complaints we receive involve people using heat mats. They definitely increase the speed in which seeds germinate but they also incubate the medium and surrounding area with the perfect temperature and humidity for pathogens and diseases. I'm not trying to change anybody's opinions, simply stating our observations based on plenty of user submitted data. @WildBill if you would like more seeds or if you would like me to send some pre-germinated just let me know brother!
I have the whole setup...heat mat, lights, dome and I don't use it..I get better germination soaking for 18hr.. then straight to rootriots with a cup....
20230501_142339.jpg

Wow that offer is above and beyond :worship:

I agree with the heat mat problems but I don't think it is the mat but more the poor control over the actual temperature and RH. I cringe when I see domes without proper air flow. When you see condensation on the inside of a cup or dome it is too high in heat and/or RH inside the dome or the ambient air outside is too cold. soil that gets over 80°F with 100% RH will grow all of the nasties that can kill a seedling before it ever breaks the soil or the plant will dampen off. Air flow even in germination is a must. This is why I heat my entire grow space to 80°F and set the RH to 70%. I make a tropical space not an incubator.

I know you're there Adam to help if needed! :headbang: :pass:

It's personal now with the stupid 'luck' on sprouting beans this run. It has left a bitter taste in my mouth after coming off a 18 out of 19 successful run. I changed some stuff and shouldn't. At this time of the year, I need the slightly elevated temps in the soak and in the media with direct planting. Room temps at 70*F and below need some warmth.

If I had known I was going to have a problem, I may have had a better rate if I had turned the black side up on the Earthbox covers. That would have warmed the media better and helped with the germ rate. Modem got replaced, so I don't have an alternative. I think people go too high when they use heating mats.
With these jiffy pots, I would think pathogens or bio activity will be less of a concern.

One question for users of jiffy pots, Is there a hole in the bottom or do you need to snip a hole fer the tap root?

Back