Sweet gelato auto looking a bit nasty... any ideas?

Good to hear mate. Hope your plants recover well and bring you a decent harvest.

Any reason that you grow in soil? Coco is heaps easier to grow in and you never have to worry about over watering. Just keep it wet and feed by your chosen nutrient chart. It's way easier for us beginners

Thanks, man. I don't think things have been getting any worse with the plants, and I should have better idea if what's what in 4-5 days. Fingers crossed, eh?

I started off with soil just because that was what we had available at the time, and it was my first grow so it kind of seemed natural and like I wouldn't have to do a load of research and investing in nutrients. I guess I thought I was keeping it simple. From what you've mentioned it sounds like what I've been doing is actually more effort than nutrients.

I guess I'm going to have to check out the nutrient chart that you speak of!

Nice one,
TQADR
XXX

Some others getting close
M8 im not an expert by any means but it looks to me like that medium/soil is just way to hot and is frying your plants with whatever is in it.
Nice, thanks, I will certainly bear that in mind. I've been given quite bit of advice so I'm going to do some adjusting. I'll update this either way. I think the penny will drop sooner or later :)

I’m using promix and water every 2 days or if fabric pot is light every day as needed and bat guano at 2/10/12
Whoa! Nice plants! I really appreciate your recipe.

So is the plant living off both the soil you're using and the bat guano, or does just the bat guano cover it?

Also, bat guano makes me think of Ace Ventura, so I'll definitely be having a look in to that.

Thanks again,
XXXX

Nice, thanks, I will certainly bear that in mind. I've been given quite bit of advice so I'm going to do some adjusting. I'll update this either way. I think the penny will drop sooner or later :)

Absolutely.. right back on the horse.. everything u need to grow a great plant is right here at AFN.. if your going to try again with soil try a nice light mix.. plagron light mix always worked for me til my local shop replaced it with their own lightmix.. which is also great I have to say.. or biobizz light mix is another firm favourite around here. Read Read and read some more :d5: :jointman:

Well you have a potential for many problems. Letting the pot get dry is the start. What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and roots there will die. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. There is an art to watering.

Nutrients becomes a moving target when you start with a precharged soil. It literally is guesswork as to when and how much to start with? A lot of growers overcome this with practice as well. I don't like precharged soils. (except washed and calcium pre-charged coco and true Living Organic soil).

Use a surfactant and get your soil fully wet. then let go until 50% weight to start fertigating again.

:vibe:
That's Golden advice there, thank you very much.

My Goodladywife thinks I've been over watering, but then again... heatwave.. new soil...

I never knew that soil turned hydrophobic if it dried out too much. Would I notice something like a lot of run off or the pot being really light not that long after watering? Are there any signs to watch out for?

That's a fantastic rule of thumb about the pot weight being a guide to how much to water. So much information out there is "don't water too much" and "don't underwater", sometimes I feel like I'm stood here with a hair dryer in one hand and a watering can in the other and I can't make up my mind whether to water the plant or electrocute myself. Your guide nails that one!

Thanks again :)
TQADR
XXXX

That's Golden advice there, thank you very much.

My Goodladywife thinks I've been over watering, but then again... heatwave.. new soil...

I never knew that soil turned hydrophobic if it dried out too much. Would I notice something like a lot of run off or the pot being really light not that long after watering? Are there any signs to watch out for?

That's a fantastic rule of thumb about the pot weight being a guide to how much to water. So much information out there is "don't water too much" and "don't underwater", sometimes I feel like I'm stood here with a hair dryer in one hand and a watering can in the other and I can't make up my mind whether to water the plant or electrocute myself. Your guide nails that one!

Thanks again :)
TQADR
XXXX
If you have not weighed the pot when full it is not easy to tell this is happening during a grow. I just use Yucca powder regularly. It is so cheap and you use so little at a time. Eventually this will re-wet all soil in the pot.

After harvest take the plant out of the pot soil and all and cut slices off. You will be able to see how well the roots filled the grow media.

" sometimes I feel like I'm stood here with a hair dryer in one hand and a watering can in the other and I can't make up my mind whether to water the plant or electrocute myself"

Love the picture that paints in my head :rofl:

Whoa! Nice plants! I really appreciate your recipe.

So is the plant living off both the soil you're using and the bat guano, or does just the bat guano cover it?

Also, bat guano makes me think of Ace Ventura, so I'll definitely be having a look in to that.

Thanks again,
XXXX
Yes soil and guano if I use the soil again I may have to up the guano usage more

So I've decided to start trimming off the brown leaves to give a better idea of what is going on, rather than what was.

The advice you guys have given has been great, I really appreciate it, so I'm trying to apply it logically rather than doing everything at once to, hopefully, get a picture of what's happening. I'm thinking; carefully monitor the weights of pots, add yukka if they're consistently light, and regularly add tomorite/nutrients. If things get worse, the soil is probably too hot, but if things get better, then it looks like the "this soil is more of a medium than a soil" train of thought holds weight.

I've also replaced the smaller pant with 2 new ones (smaller pots), using a totally different soil to see if that gives any clues.

Also, don't tell anyone, but I've invested in a spider farmer sf1000 (yet to implement) to replace the ropey generic Chinese blurple LED.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again to all,
TQADR
XXX

Powdered yucca for the win for hydrophobic issues.

Zut Alors!

So, I've given things a few of days. The larger of the two (sweet gelato auto from sweet seeds) has been getting tomorite and I've trimmed off 2 tiers of nasty looking leaves. It seems to be going OK, and the browning is a bit lesser, but there's still a bit of yellowing. We might also have some budlets forming. So things are a bit better, but still not amazing, and growth is slow to say the least (we're just about to hit week 8!).

The smaller one (automassassin from critical mass collective) has been moved to a window sill (I can only imagine what you're thinking). but this seems to have had a positive impact. Good veg growth, hardly any yellowing and new growth seems to be OK. Obviously what's brown stays brown, but I'm a bit more hopeful about this one.

One thing that crossed my mind was that the internet source that recommend plant magic supreme was from an "I grew it outside" post. Maybe this kinda marries up with the windowsill being better... I dunno.

I'm wondering if it might be an idea to move the gelato to the windowsill, as well and see if it perks up too, although I have to admit, I've been questioning my sanity of late.

Hugs Y'all!

TQADR
XXX

Attachments

• 20200908_200924.jpg
    20200908_200924.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200908_200908.jpg
    20200908_200908.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200908_200856.jpg
    20200908_200856.jpg