DIY Soundproof material

Reaction score
I built a 3 x 3 grow tent wooden grow tent. I covered it with mylar sheeting material. I used the Vipar Led light for my first grow and its awesome but I couldn not stand that humming noise coming from its fans.

For my second grow I intend to buy another led fixture espescially for flowering phase but I NEED to do something about the sound.

I was thinking to cover all the tent with polystyrene panels. They are very cheap but I could not find information regarding soundproofing effectiveness of the material.

In your opinion, should the polystyrene be enough to suppress the fan noise??

Is your grow box completely closed up?

I'd get a muffler for your exhaust fan and possibly put some little bushings under anything that's attached. Hell a grommet as a spacer would work too. But yes Styrofoam will work as a sound dampener.

I'd get a muffler for your exhaust fan and possibly put some little bushings under anything that's attached. Hell a grommet as a spacer would work too. But yes Styrofoam will work as a sound dampener.

Thanks for the advice but the problem is not the exhaust fan (i dont have any) but the Led Fan.

Ohhhh okay, who makes the led? Could they send you a replacement fan or possibly find one on the Web? I realize that's a pain in the ass route...but maaaaaybe they might help ya out. Can you layer anything over your cab then add another panel over it? Like a sandwich of sorts? You can buy foam at a fabric store or get some rubberized undercoating spray from auto zone or Walmart, make a layer over it and cap over it. I'm sure you'll get some ideas rolling around lol. But good luck and if I think if anything else I'll throw my $0.02 at ya again lol.
:Smoking:passing:

Besides swapping-in quieter fans in the light, consider avoiding the problem totally and buy a relatively quiet light. My California Lightworks 440s and Amare 150CRs are rather quiet, with the air circulation fans making louder noise.

Otherwise, most anything sold as thermal insulation is also a fairly good sound absorber. Even cheap pink fiberglass insulation encasing the 'tent' should reduce the loudness of escaping noise.

Thanks for all your advice guys...I will try to find a replacement fan that is super silent. In case I dont find I will choose a thermal insulator that is good enough for sound proofing.

Thanks for all your advice guys...I will try to find a replacement fan that is super silent. In case I dont find I will choose a thermal insulator that is good enough for sound proofing.
Hi again guys..I bought 2 pc fans to replace the noisy ones. I noticed that the ones I purchased come with 3 pin whereas the factory ones are 2 pinned. Did someone find an adapter. I searched ebay but could not find.

1/2 polystyrene will be enough to dampen sound from fans among other things,I sound proofed( well ,not 100% though) a band house with that and some carpet. if I had cash idda used sound board but thats pricey LOL and dont forget to caulk your seams as well. sound dampen it well and insulate it for winter some too. then cover it with mylar. swut id do in a wood box and wanted to use polystyrene as a muffler/insulator.

note I did use 1.5 - 2 inch weather board not 1/2 inch for the band house. worked well as a base barrier over fiberglass.worked excellent for a long time too. its very very versatile stuff.

Last edited:
Back