Lighting Some things in mind for a DIY COB build

Z_Burp

Eats soup with a fork
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
9lb Hammer, Lemon Meringue
I've now decided to join the ranks of DIY light building. I've done a bit of research and just wanted to run by my list of things to see what everyone thinks. I think it's going to be around 200W.
Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 4.56.13 PM.png

I'm mulling over this setup that I've put together that fits my budget. I think it's the best "bang for the buck." There may be other things out there, and I'm more than happy to see suggestions.

4 x Vero29SE 3500K 80 CRI - BXRC-35E10K0-D-7X-SE
1 x Mean Well HLG-240-C1400B - dimmable kind
4 x heatsinks
4 x thermal pads

EDIT: So, the way I'm seeing it is I could potentially run 5 of these COB's. When I do the division I get 179V constant current (max) / 36.2 V per COB @ 1400 mA = 4.94 COB's. I'm wondering if this driver would do it, or should I stay on the safe side and only run 4 COB's? Maybe I'm doing the math wrong. Do I look at the constant current region 89-179V or the Open Circuit Voltage (max) 182V to do this calculation?

@BigSm0 @pop22

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 5.10.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 5.12.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 5.11.16 PM.png

Thanks for having a look!

Any constructive criticism is welcomed

Last edited:
Hey!
Looks like a good blend of ingredients. What have you in mind for mounting? A frame, individual pods, etc.?

I've now decided to join the ranks of DIY light building. I've done a bit of research and just wanted to run by my list of things to see what everyone thinks. I think it's going to be around 200W.
View attachment 772632
I'm mulling over this setup that I've put together that fits my budget. I think it's the best "bang for the buck." There may be other things out there, and I'm more than happy to see suggestions.

4 x Vero29SE 3500K 80 CRI - BXRC-35E10K0-D-7X-SE
1 x Mean Well HLG-240-C1400B - dimmable kind
4 x heatsinks
4 x thermal pads

EDIT: So, the way I'm seeing it is I could potentially run 5 of these COB's. When I do the division I get 179V constant current (max) / 36.2 V per COB @ 1400 mA = 4.94 COB's. I'm wondering if this driver would do it, or should I stay on the safe side and only run 4 COB's? Maybe I'm doing the math wrong. Do I look at the constant current region 89-179V or the Open Circuit Voltage (max) 182V to do this calculation?

@BigSm0 @pop22

View attachment 772637

View attachment 772640
View attachment 772638

Thanks for having a look!

Any constructive criticism is welcomed

Perfect line up, vero's is where I might go on my next build. The only thing is have you though of 90cri over the 80cri. A lot discussion over what's best, 90cri seems to come out on top. Better spectrum... Veros are the definitely the new must have... Have you seen Growmau5 vid on youtube about them, a must watch... From experience go with the thicker 1\8" L stuff and pre drill heat sinks for less swearing.
Can't wait for this build... subbing up.

Sent from mTalk

Perfect line up, vero's is where I might go on my next build. The only thing is have you though of 90cri over the 80cri. A lot discussion over what's best, 90cri seems to come out on top. Better spectrum... Veros are the definitely the new must have... Have you seen Growmau5 vid on youtube about them, a must watch... From experience go with the thicker 1\8" L stuff and pre drill heat sinks for less swearing.
Can't wait for this build... subbing up.

Sent from mTalk

I have given it a little thought, but not a lot.
I do think the quality of the light would be better, but they output less photons for the same amount of current I think. It would be a quality over quantity issue with the same driver. Right now I'm thinking quantity which goes against my whole weed philosophy: Would you rather have just a little fantastic weed, or way too much crap weed? Another issue is that they don't have them in stock where I'm getting them.
I dunno... hard decision

Now I'm thinking of dropping the driver down to the 1050 mA @ 238V where I could comfortably put six Vero's instead of really straining for 5 with the 1400 mA 179V driver. That kinda blows my budget out of the water, though.
:wall::wall::wall:

Sorry for the late reply. I only get alerts when someone I don't like likes something I didn't like typing. I would say blow the budget or rob a bank lol. Less is more and that's for wattage. More is better and that's for cobs. I would much rather have 5 at 40 than 4 at 50. Most confusing reply yet. My apologies

I think 6 vero's @ 1050ma in your space would nail it... I've found that I've always been over budget when it come to this light building malarkey...

Sorry for the late reply. I only get alerts when someone I don't like likes something I didn't like typing. I would say blow the budget or rob a bank lol. Less is more and that's for wattage. More is better and that's for cobs. I would much rather have 5 at 40 than 4 at 50. Most confusing reply yet. My apologies
Makes sense to me, I think... You would rather have more COB's pumping out more photons than a higher current driver using less voltage therefore less COB's but getting the same amount of wattage. I'm totally on board with that thinking. More photons = more energy for the plant to use and spread out across a greater area. Plus, with six COB's they would be easy to upgrade using different drivers if for some reason I thought I needed more light.
Ex:
6 x 36v COB's with a 240W, 1050mA, with 238 max voltage running them at about 37W each would be preferable to
3 x 36v COB's with a 240W, 2100mA, with 119 max voltage running them at about 79W each

I think 6 vero's @ 1050ma in your space would nail it... I've found that I've always been over budget when it come to this light building malarkey...

Now, the questions...

My grow space is about 4' x 4' to 4' x 8', I usually grow two to four (if they're small) at a time with my current set up (3 x 600W, 230'ish Watts at the wall, multi-spectrum LED's).
Since I'm probably going to be blowing my budget anyway, I'm wondering if I should just go with 6 x Vero and a 240W, 1050mA, 238V max voltage driver. I would like to be able to light up that whole grow space. The whole PPF and PPFD calculations are beyond my grasp currently, so I'm not bothering with it... yet. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the help!:bighug::pighug:

Last edited:
Yes more cobs at a lower current. This increases efficiency and also helps with penetration. I made this comment in another thread somewhere referring to a flashlight vs 2 flashlights.

Hold and point a flashlight at the floor and cover it with your hand.
Now hold 2 flashlights and cover one with one hand. With 2 lights one still hits the floor. Now picture your hand is a leave blocking light to lower leaves. The more lights the deeper the penetration. More importantly 2 cobs above the plant at 25 watts still matches 1 50 watt cob. You will have much more coverage and deeper penetration with more light sources

Back