Outdoor Single plant grow - Mdanzig Sour Spyder

Growth is so slow when you watch! But my little seedling is getting bigger and temperatures are really good for the next week.

eeecubed-albums-first-grow-picture442910-4-17-15.jpg

I had to take a 4-20 hoilday picture of my girl! I hope you are not bored with my posted pictures, but I am going to document my grow right down to the last day.

eeecubed-albums-first-grow-picture444116-4-20-15.jpg

Cool, I am getting ready to start a couple Sour Spyder in a week or so so I'll be watching. Gonna try them in the green house since I live in a colder climate. Got a indoor grow going now in the new growers forum called a couple LR2 going. Now that the weather is warming up gonna move the operation outdoors with some new seeds.

index.php

Well, I have had a minor setback as one might expect on a fiirst grow. My girl got bugs! Even though I have been very experienced growing plants on a commercial basis for decades, I am not sure what they were. My first thought was thrips, but these critters were white/tan and all the thrips I have seen around here have been black. the bugs chewed away a layer of the leaf on the underside; the damage caused by them can be seen as the tan spots on the leaves. The bugs moved slower than thrips and looked a bit like a larve of some sort but moved too fast. I have no idea what they were to be honest. I freaked a bit and used what I had to attack them, going on the theory of treating the plant like a tomato. I used insecticidal soap knowing full well that there might be some burning and/or phytotoxcity. I sprayed at njght. Sure enough, some of the leaves were burned on the tips. I am a bit bummed but the good news is that the plant is growing like the weed it is!

Don't know what your pest is/was but a couple of observations - In the last photo it looks like it's sitting in a wet plantpot base. Adding a small layer of gravel to this will stop the base of the pot becoming waterlogged. Bud doesn't like wet roots - you could even leave it off entirely if free draining through that mesh isn't a problem.

I also notice the semi transparent plastic sheeting creating your 'mini greenhouse'. Having grown on a balcony many years ago I know that paranoia about it being seen was an issue for me. My solution was to add some pots (actually window boxes) across the front of the balcony mesh's - then grow a few climbing peas up them - this has the effect of breaking up the leafshape while only minimally reducing the amount of natural light. And you can nibble on the occasional peapod while tending your girl too.

Obviously the more direct sun the faster she'll grow but peas are pretty quick climbers if you soak and germinate the seads now indoors they should catch up with the plant pretty soon.

Have Fun.

index.php

Growing quickly and looking better after Einstein and a bit of fertilizer. Starting to show the first signs of flowering too!

Back