Indoor Seeds in Rapid Rooters / Root Riot in 10x20 tray Transplant into 8 inch net pots with Growstones

Can you transplant and auto from a rapid rooter plug tray into an 8inch net pot w/ growstones safe?

• Yes no problem if you are delicate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes but they will be severly stunted

• yes but they will be slightly stunted

• no... better to start in 8inch net pots and keep there

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello everyone... new to AFN this is my first thread. Please let me know if Im doing something terribly wrong lol :) I had a quick question of transplanting some assorted autos and some Dutch passion think different seeds. In tents...I was thinking about starting some seeds in Root Riot or Rapid rooter plugs and putting them into a 10 inch by 20 inch plug tray and then once they pop and have a little root structure i was going to transplant them into 8 inch net pots(filled with Growstones) for a RDWC (undersurrent system separate tent) under 1000W LEDs. I was worried that trying to save on space and making the environment smaller and easier to control would be offset by some sort of transplantation shock that could stunt growth that Ive read about that is particularly worrisome with autos. Also...how high should i keep my growstone level? Should i let the rapid rooter touch the plastic tip(molded up part) at the bottom of the net pot? Or keep the rapid rooter up high and fill the net pot entirely with growstones? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Hey dude welcome to AFN! Im far from a hydro expert but have done this using rockwool cubes. Transplanting into growstones should be no problem as long as your delicate. And dont leave it to late, the more roots out through the plugs the more chance you have of damageing them.

Put some stones in the net basket first so that the plug is nearly level with the top of the pot, or just low enough to cover it with 1 layer of growstones.
Then fill the dwc buckets right up to the bottom of the net pot, once the roots are more established and growing out through the stones then lower the water level to below the net pot.

Hey dude welcome to AFN! Im far from a hydro expert but have done this using rockwool cubes. Transplanting into growstones should be no problem as long as your delicate. And dont leave it to late, the more roots out through the plugs the more chance you have of damageing them.

Put some stones in the net basket first so that the plug is nearly level with the top of the pot, or just low enough to cover it with 1 layer of growstones.
Then fill the dwc buckets right up to the bottom of the net pot, once the roots are more established and growing out through the stones then lower the water level to below the net pot.

Thanks sanguine! I appreciate the thoughts. Great point on moving them out of seed tray b4 the roots get crowded.

Cheers dude, check out the hydro section when you can - there are some world class dwc growers on here that have very informative journals.

Back