Reason to worry or overthinking? First grow

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So this is my first time ever attempting to grow anything at all. I've decided to try and keep everything as simple as possible while still trying to keep everything balanced. I started with the free 5 double grape x strawberry nuggets seeds from mephisto. I wasn't actually planning on running all 5 but I assumed I'd have germination issues with at least 1. That didn't happen so 5 it is. I have a vivosun 4x4 smart grow setup. I have 2 e6 fans, 2 aw200se lights, 6 inch air filtration setup, smart hub, and an old humidifier I run to try and keep the vpd in what I believe is an acceptable range. Water is tap which has sat with an air stone for at least 2 days before being ph'd to right around 6. Once the seeds popped and small tap roots developed they were planted directly into 5 gallon fabric pots. The pots are filled with a soil mix I prepared consisting of roughly 3 parts ffof and 2 parts ffhf with some additional perlite and some earthworm castings added. When filling the 5 gallon pots I placed a 6 inch planter (roughly 1.4q) at the top in the center then filled that 6 inch planter sized whole with 100% ffhf and that's where the seeds were planted. The lights are placed around 49 inches above the pots and set at 60% giving me around a 12dli and 186ppfd. The seeds were planted on the 7th at which point I spray above the soil with a spray bottle then used water bottle bottoms and placed over as humidity domes for the first 4 days. The seeds were out of the ground and showing leaves on the 9th so I guess I'm supposed to consider that day 1? Since removing the humidity domes I've given each plant about 100ml of water every other day which seems to be when things are pretty dry again. I've been trying to keep vpd between 0.6 and 0.8 which is proving to be a challenge. I can't seem to keep temps down in the tent without using an e6 fan jammed in one of the large holes in the tent but that spikes vpd and dries the tent out. I've read vpd is more important than temperature so that's what I've been more concerned with. Temp often hits 86-87°F. Today marks 1 week since planting and I feel like 4 of the 5 are doing well but 1 has me a little worried and since I'm in the learning phase I'm hoping all the greater minds here might educate me a bit on what could be happening and/or what I may be doing wrong overall. Anyways, thank you everyone in advance and hopefully I'm not forgetting anything. I already feel as though I've learned a lot here so thank you all for that as well. The last photo is the plant im concerned with.

1000063921.jpg
1000063922.jpg
1000063923.jpg
1000063924.jpg
1000063925.jpg

Hey SoberGrower welcome to AFN! I wouldn’t worry about the funky look of the last plant, I’ve seen the same and worse in new plants and all turn out great. That being said, I’m not the guy who worries about one bean when the other 4 are thriving under the same conditions, if she’s too fragile or needy I’ll throw her ass out in a hot second. I’d love to impart some wisdom here but trust me, I’m the last guy you want to listen to. One thing is for sure though, 5 plants in 5gal pots in a 4x4 is going to get crowded so make sure you’ve got excellent air circulation both high and low. My first grow was 6 plants in 3gal in a 4x4 and it became a very humid forest, one plant got powdered mildew due to not enough air down low so be careful there. On the bright side, a jam packed tent is truly a sight to see for a first time grower! I’d just sit and stare for hours 🤣

IMG_1331.png

Upvote 0
Hey SoberGrower welcome to AFN! I wouldn’t worry about the funky look of the last plant, I’ve seen the same and worse in new plants and all turn out great. That being said, I’m not the guy who worries about one bean when the other 4 are thriving under the same conditions, if she’s too fragile or needy I’ll throw her ass out in a hot second. I’d love to impart some wisdom here but trust me, I’m the last guy you want to listen to. One thing is for sure though, 5 plants in 5gal pots in a 4x4 is going to get crowded so make sure you’ve got excellent air circulation both high and low. My first grow was 6 plants in 3gal in a 4x4 and it became a very humid forest, one plant got powdered mildew due to not enough air down low so be careful there. On the bright side, a jam packed tent is truly a sight to see for a first time grower! I’d just sit and stare for hours 🤣

View attachment 1707147
I'm sure down the road I'd be the same as far as tossing slackers out but for now I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I thought it might get crowded but again I wasn't expecting all 5 to germinate as I've read so many things about people, especially new growers, having issues germinating. I just tossed all 5 in a shot glass with water for a day then into a damp paper towel in a bag for a day. All 5 sprouted roots so I figured toss all 5 in and see what happens. This also give me more plants to learn on. I can experiment with topping at different nodes and not topping at all as well as lst vs natural growth. In the end I'll see what works best for me and have a plan each grow moving forward. And thank you for the tip on air flow. I was wondering if the 2 e6's plus the duct fan would provide enough along with following the vpd charts. I've been thinking of getting or hanging a larger fan aiming at the lights and moving with e6's down the the flowers. The lights also have fans in their centers blowing straight down. Thanks for the reply man. I appreciate it and hopefully I land somewhere near that sea of green you posted. Amazing!

Upvote 0
Experimenting is the best! Training and shaping the plants has become my favorite part of the grow (next to harvest lol) I always maintain the attitude that failure IS an option because it’s the best learning tool. Looking forward to watching your grow progress, I would encourage you to start a thread in the grow journal section. As you update your grow you can ask questions along the way and get some speedy responses from people who, unlike me, really know their shit. ✌🏻

Upvote 0
These all look good :thumbsup: Don't worry about those weird leaves at at all since you're gonna chop those off soon enough anyway. That temp is perfect for seedlings, keep the humidity as high as you can. Vpd is important but not critical at all. Just do the best you can with it, nobody has perfect vpd all year. Double grape are generally large plants and strawberry nuggets are generally short, squat plants. So you could end up with all different phenos here. Defoliation, wind, and managing humidity are the main things to stay on top of when stuffing plants in together, but really only during flower

Upvote 0
These all look good :thumbsup: Don't worry about those weird leaves at at all since you're gonna chop those off soon enough anyway. That temp is perfect for seedlings, keep the humidity as high as you can. Vpd is important but not critical at all. Just do the best you can with it, nobody has perfect vpd all year. Double grape are generally large plants and strawberry nuggets are generally short, squat plants. So you could end up with all different phenos here. Defoliation, wind, and managing humidity are the main things to stay on top of when stuffing plants in together, but really only during flower
Perfect! Honestly I figured there might be a chance I was overthinking it but I figured I'd ask the experienced folks instead of just crossing my fingers and hoping it's not a real issue. Thank you all for the kind words and advice.

Upvote 0
Looks good I have the Same setup. all vivosun aerotech eqip. AW200SE lights are awesome and the wings gives you a lot more control! I use the E42 hub to run the aerotech system with the vivosun 6in fans as well. you will find its very simple! I am on my 3rd plant and had zero cannabis experience, but my grandparents had a garden I managed. you can get a vivosun small humidifier that is 30 bucks and is great. I bought a mix pack of seeds before starting and using these 5 seeds to learn, and boy have I. I find myself overthinking quite a bit. but have made my grow as automated and easy as possible using fox farms coco media. I use grow dots and recharge that way I don't have to worry about feeding and ACI autopots so I don't overwater. have not lost a plant yet. good luck and have fun, autos are mostly tough plants.

Upvote 0

View attachment 1707147
That is a very pretty sight!!

Upvote 0
Back