PPFD for Autos?

If my plant lowers or drops it's leaves 2 hours before lights out, does that mean it's getting too much light?

I find that when one of my plants droops a COUPLE hours or so before lights out that it is probably getting a little too much. But some plants get ready for bed too and droop say in that last hour...according to some wacky internal timer...they get ready. Depends a lot on the plant. If you ever run more than one strain and peek in your tent during lights out, some of them are napping with leaves down, and others are little speed freaks and are perky all of the time. Plants are interesting!

Could also depend on your feeding schedule if you are feeding before lights out.

Easiest thing to do is dial the light back a little and observe the plant a few days to see how it responds. If it is perky, then you know your issue. If it still does it, then it may just be the plant. Like my current Mango Smile is a big plant and she drooped in veg. But in bloom she doesn't. Or maybe I was blasting her too hard in veg, since I always am tweaking things. At the same time, I have another plant in the tent. So I need to find a middle ground.

If my plant lowers or drops it's leaves 2 hours before lights out, does that mean it's getting too much light?
It can mean this yes. Just means they have reached exhaustion for today with the amount of light they are getting. Either that or they are aware of their sleep time and go to sleep a bit early. I had my water temp around 24c at some point this grow and I noticed a few hours before lights out they looked asleep. However, my Point is that too warm water can do this as well (from my observations). I usually stick to around 19-20c water temp

I just switched from cobs to leds. I noticed my plants drooping considerably about 3 hours before light out. Some drooping I know is normal but it seemed odd so long before bedtime. This went on for three days before leaves starting showing light burn on the top--looked like I needed calmag. Raising my light fixed my issues

I just switched from cobs to leds. I noticed my plants drooping considerably about 3 hours before light out. Some drooping I know is normal but it seemed odd so long before bedtime. This went on for three days before leaves starting showing light burn on the top--looked like I needed calmag. Raising my light fixed my issues
Yeah I experienced the same. But if you try HPS you won’t see this issue anywhere near as much I reckon. That’s why ppl using HPS has less humidity to deal with. I mean they will grow awesome plants but the effiency and spectrum is not the same as a good LED. So using LEDS just grows the plant much faster and it will transpire and so on, creating higher humidity. When it’s growing under an LED they grow quicker, so they uptake nutrients a lot quicker. Especially if you are blasting them with light. Which then can lead to spotting that looks like a calcium or magnesium deficiency. In reality, it’s usually too much salts left behind, or it can be a deficiency because the plant is uptaking so much nutrients under the LED. It’s just our job to find out if it could be Doing with more calcium, or it’s too much salts in the root zone and so on. If the nutrients are balanced well, and you’re fertigating multiple times in coco, then you will be keeping the medium fresh every time and won’t run into spotting as often. I’ve been feeding my girls once a day though and ran into spotting when my humidity was higher. I’ve noticed when the sugar leaves are yellowing, it’s usially a good indicator of bleaching/too much light for tour environment state. In this case, we gotta bring humidity and temp into the right range to avoid the spotting.. if environment can’t be fixed, then we raise the light. Just my observations and research on this. Might not be 100%. Would love to hear more experienced growers input on it

Last edited:
I’ve seen many people complaining about light stress from LEDS. But then on the other hand there is an argument that no matter what LEDs shouldn’t burn plants because outdoors they get more from the sun. However, the sun isn’t quite as close to plants as an indoor led light would be lol. I can’t argue over it being a matter of too much light forcing the plant to uptake quicker leaving deficiency, or it being down to burning them via the light. Since I noticed it I’ve been adding in half a ml of calmag to my feed. My feeds have been heavier than usual this year. But I never used as much sensizym with my other Grows. They are medium sized plants, but the roots were at the bottom of the 16L pots real quick to the point they were growing out the bottom of the pots. I’m assuming I do have a strong root system and they are just demanding more. I’ve decreased my base feed by 0.5ml, and upped the PK (big bud to 1.5ml per litre). I’m hoping I can push it up to 2ml per litre. With advanced nutrients they always recommend higher base feed and divide by 2 for additives. Eg: 4ml base feed bloom, 2ml big bud. But 4ml is crazy man the ppms get majorly high and I’ve never had any plant that can go over 2ml base feed per litre. I was running 1.5ml per litre for a good while. However I’m not blaming coco grow nutrients, but whenever I do use them In veg I tend to see some spotting in flower. But, when I use coco bloom all the way through veg and flower instead, I don’t get spotting. Just hoping I’ve stopped the spotting and hopefully they will bulk up. I do have some fungus gnats in the medium I’m sure, so it could be those fuckers that are causing deficiencies. I’ve been attacking them fly traps and DE. My run off is consistently low which makes me feel like I should up the feed. I feed around 500-580 ppms and the run off is usually around 200-300ppms
I think im with MOG on LED lightburn. I was hitting my auto towards the end at 975ppfd for only 12 hours a day though so my dli was still on the low end. After I figured out with help from MOG, that my nute mix was all screwed up my auto started responding very well to the high ppfd with no co2 added. Basically from what Im told unless they are touching an led they do not get light burn and when they do touch its not light burn, its literally being burned from heat being offput by the led

Back