Pot size and Plant number to Maximize Diversity and Yield in 4'x2' Tent

Randar

Experienced Grower
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Gorilla Bomb, TnT Trichome & Swiss Skunk
The title says it all. Looking for advice on this.

In the past I've grown only two plants at a time in my 4'x2' tent and had very decent results. On average, I get 360 g dry weight from the two plants (grown in 5 gal fabric bags with ProMix). I use a Series 2 Red Spec 250W Budget LED light for the entire tent.

That being said, I'm looking to increase my strain diversity during my grow while keeping similar to better yield. All other things being the same, what would be a good mixture of pot size to number of plants in the tent to achieve this?

Right now I'm thinking either 8 3-gallon fabric pots or 6-8 5-gallon fabric pots using a scrog net to even out the canopy. Thoughts?

Edit: my previous 2-plant grows have been with autos that I topped. My upcoming grow I'm planning to use photos, in case that makes a difference in the answer to the above question.

Last edited:
The question you really need to answer is how are you going to water them?

In the past I've grown only two plants at a time in my 4'x2' tent and had very decent results. On average, I get 360 g dry weight from the two plants (grown in 5 gal fabric bags with ProMix). I use a Series 2 Red Spec 250W Budget LED light for the entire tent.

That being said, I'm looking to increase my strain diversity during my grow while keeping similar to better yield. All other things being the same, what would be a good mixture of pot size to number of plants in the tent to achieve this?

Right now I'm thinking either 8 3-gallon fabric pots or 6-8 5-gallon fabric pots using a scrog net to even out the canopy. Thoughts?

Edit: my previous 2-plant grows have been with autos that I topped. My upcoming grow I'm planning to use photos, in case that makes a difference in the answer to the above question.
In a 2 x 4 tent watering shouldn’t be a problem even with 6-8 plants, but it would be worthwhile to look into an automatic watering system with so many plants in a small space.

If you want to run 6-8 plants in such a small space I would grow them in 1-2 gallon pots. If you put that many 3 or 5 gallon pots in a tent that small they will way over grow a plant in a 3 gallon pot will usually fill a 2 x 2 grow area easily.

I usually do 2-3 plants in 3 gallon pots in my 3 x 3 tents. Every time I put 3 in the tent it’s too crowded and I need to do a lot of work to manage the over crowded canopy.

Consider how much dirt you are putting in that small tent. I would suggest that the 10 gallons you are putting in there now in two 5 G pots is probably the most dirt you need in that tent to maximize your yield. Divide that 10 gallons any way you want, but I don’t think you need more dirt to achieve your goal, just more pots with smaller volume. I would recommend trying either: 6 - 2G pots, 8 - 1G pots or 3-4 - 3G pots at the very most.

good luck!

Just because you can physically fit 8 3-gallon pots in there, doesn't mean it is a good idea. I would go for three different plants, one Indica, one Sativa, and one balanced. I would likely try to use some form of Sub-Irrigated system to make watering easier. Check out Grobucket inserts for 5-gallon buckets.

So, if you're doing photos then your only limitation is veg time. You could do 8 strains in 5 gallon pots but I feel that is too large for the limited veg time you'll need. I like the idea of 3 gallon fabric pots, it leaves you enough spacing and accommodates a 2 or week veg time. I think the net is perfect, you may not have to weave them but use the net as support.

I think you already answered your own question

Back