Old Reviews Portable AC Units

Instead of a portable unit like that you might want to look at a mini split system. The compressor goes outside and the cooling element inside, so there is no exhaust from the room, eliminating your exhaust odor problem. A bit more money than a portable but might be worth a look.

Thanks Muddy. I hate to spend a shit ton of money on all this... my central air does fine 10 months out of the year. I think I'm going with a portable unit and I'm going to buy an 8" inline fan with a fat ass carbon filter and just set it up in the room where my tent/AC unit is and just scrub the air. Carbon filter in the tent + carbon filter scrubbing the room = Hopefully less smell.
I'm still spending over $500 bones for all this shit. Kramer (Seinfeld) said it best, "retail is for suckers". I hate being a sucker.

For about the same money you can get a mini split and eliminate the 8" fan. The mini split won't be sucking your cooled air out and should save you some $ on running cost. I've got to run right now but I'll find a link and post it for you later.

Thanks Muddy. I hate to spend a shit ton of money on all this... my central air does fine 10 months out of the year. I think I'm going with a portable unit and I'm going to buy an 8" inline fan with a fat ass carbon filter and just set it up in the room where my tent/AC unit is and just scrub the air. Carbon filter in the tent + carbon filter scrubbing the room = Hopefully less smell.
I'm still spending over $500 bones for all this shit. Kramer (Seinfeld) said it best, "retail is for suckers". I hate being a sucker.

Thanks Mud
I rent my house though. Sounds like more of a permanent install... Maybe I'm wrong though, not familiar with them. I'll check it out.:peace:
:smokebuds:

Thanks Mud
I rent my house though. Sounds like more of a permanent install... Maybe I'm wrong though, not familiar with them. I'll check it out.:peace:
Great thread for this time of year. I've been dealing with the same "smelly" problem and my portable a/c unit. I've been looking online about info on carbon filters and found that the Phresh filters can also be mounted on the end of your exaust line and filter the air just as if it was on a normal intake. I haven't tried this yet though. I went out and got a can 33 filter and mounter my 6" 430cfm fan on it and it seems to be working (not 100% though when the a/c is on). I would look into the Phresh filters. The only reason I didn't is because my neighbors are just far enough away and I'm legal here in CA.
Also if your looking for a good a/c unit. I bought mine "refurbished" from best buy for $280! It's a 10,000btu unit with a built in dehumidifier, made by Haier. The unit is more than what I could ask for. It keeps my 10x10x8 room, with 4x600watt lights as cool as I would like, without running all the time. I had to buy it online and have it shipped to the nearest best buy, but it was worth ever dollar at 280.

I definatly want a split ac but i just dont uave the money right now. If i can build up some good amount of money over the next year i am either goin to be building me a outdoor building on my other prperty thats kinda in tye woods it will be purely for growi.g and i was thinkin of getting a water chiller to cool the room i may get a split for it also for backup. Im planning on running sumtin like 4 750w hps for tye flowering and maybe some leds for veg. Its either that or im renting out the place i live in now and im moving to a legal state to setup most likly CA as my cousin is a master chef there and could provably help me n my ole lady get established a plus my cousin hamgs with a few celebs that i know someof them burn n would probably be interested in my meds i dunno if i can get buy for abput a year ill be strikin out to cali to build my building. Just prayin ill be safe till then. I am lookin forward to seein what link muddy drops though as i think a split ac could help keep me safe for a while since my portable wants to tell on me. I threw a old ionizer in tue room amd with the ozone ,carbon filter n the ionizer the smell has been nutralizer for now n e ways

They do require a 1 1/2" hole be cut to pass the line through, so that might be an issue given you are renting. Here's an example of one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ductless-Mi...099450?pt=Air_Conditioner&hash=item2a2073ffba. It's actually a heat pump, so can supply both heat and a/c. Mitsubishi invented this technology and still makes some of the best units, but of course, more expensive. Don't know if that particular brand is any good or not. Just Google mini split air conditioners and you'll see a bunch.

I've been planning an indoor hydro room for awhile now and have had to address the same issues. I'm going to use a mini split heat pump. Internally I'm going to have an inline fan with carbon filter to address the smell in the room. I'm also going to have another inline fan for changing the air in the room. That fan will be set on a timer so it only runs periodically. That way I'm not constantly sucking all my heated or cooled air out of the room, just changing it. You might considering doing something similar. How big is your room? Depending on it's size you probably wouldn't need more than 4" exhaust fan and a 4 or 6" one with the carbon filter.

Thanks Mud

I've been running an outdoor grow box for about a year and a half now. If you're interested, go to my profile and look at my albums. I've got some pictures there. Running an outdoor box presents some unique challenges. If you get serious about building one, let me know, I can save you a few headaches.

I definatly want a split ac but i just dont uave the money right now. If i can build up some good amount of money over the next year i am either goin to be building me a outdoor building on my other prperty thats kinda in tye woods it will be purely for growi.g and i was thinkin of getting a water chiller to cool the room i may get a split for it also for backup. Im planning on running sumtin like 4 750w hps for tye flowering and maybe some leds for veg. Its either that or im renting out the place i live in now and im moving to a legal state to setup most likly CA as my cousin is a master chef there and could provably help me n my ole lady get established a plus my cousin hamgs with a few celebs that i know someof them burn n would probably be interested in my meds i dunno if i can get buy for abput a year ill be strikin out to cali to build my building. Just prayin ill be safe till then. I am lookin forward to seein what link muddy drops though as i think a split ac could help keep me safe for a while since my portable wants to tell on me. I threw a old ionizer in tue room amd with the ozone ,carbon filter n the ionizer the smell has been nutralizer for now n e ways

Smell issue is a goner :jump:

Yup that's your big boy..
109423-filter.jpg

Well not that big, 4", 160 cfm but it's doing the trick.
I'm double dipping now!! Carbon filter exhausting my tent and another one scrubbing my room. Very happy so far :D
Next step AC

Yeah thnx muddy im gonna check it out now n yeah im very serios man this is a.passion for me. So thats my goal over the next year or two is build it to look like a extra house in the back or maybe a garage im not sure yet but im gonna keep lookin into it till the time comes. I want it to be perfect sort of like my man cave.

Originally I had wanted to buy a 10' x 14' garden shed, partition it off with a 4' veg/work area in front and the rest as a flowering room. Insulate it, install a mini split, etc. But I couldn't convince the Mrs. so I had to settle for the smaller outdoor box. She's relented a bit now and soon I hope to have a new hydro area setup. I'll grow photo in there and still use my two other areas for growing autos.

Back