Old Reviews Portable AC Units

robwars

FreedomFighter
Reaction score
Hello all, the heat has gotten the best of most of us this summer and now it's time to buy an AC unit. The temps in the room where I have my tent setup is currently 80 degrees and that's with the central AC on!!! (As high as 86 in my tent with the doors open and a fan blowing) Portable AC unit here we come!! :hot:

Couple questions...

I want to filter the exhaust on my soon to be new portable AC unit because it f@cking stinks like a god damn skunk in my grow area :D. So do they make an inline carbon filter that I could put in between my AC and the outside?
This is a must, I can lean out my window and knock on my neighbors window if I wanted to. Plus stealth is a priority in these parts.

So I haven't bought anything yet, so far I've looked at HD's webpage and they have a 9000 btu with a dehumidifier for like $350 with free shipping and good reviews.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...Id=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UBFYr3C5aRY

Any recommendations?

:firedevil:

I faced a similar decision recently. I don't think your a/c unit is going to be able to help with the smell... in fact I'm sure about that... at least, not the one at HD. You'll need a carbon filter to fix that. :peace:

I faced a similar decision recently. I don't think your a/c unit is going to be able to help with the smell... in fact I'm sure about that... at least, not the one at HD. You'll need a carbon filter to fix that. :peace:

I've got a carbon filter exhausting from my tent already but my room stinks cause I've got buds drying as well. I'm looking for an additional carbon filter that I can some how tie into the exhaust of my AC unit to clean the air I'm venting outside.

i agree joe ac for cool down. carbon filter for smell, especially if you can knock on your neighbor's window. My first grow i did not have a carbon filter and grew out one of the stinkiest smelling plants, Diesel Ryder. Towards the end of flower i could smell it as i walked up to my apartment building! I got paranoid quick and got the filter. now the smell is almost totally eliminated and paranoya gone completely.

When i added my ac unit to my room i stopped using the dehumidifier all together because it did the trick. Dehumidifier now stays in the closet, a wasted $200 in my eyes. I only used it maybe twice lol.

Look on craigslist for good deals on ac units, just be careful not to get scammed and make sure it works before handing over any money. I've gotten some good finds on craigslist though. good luck!

I've got a carbon filter exhausting from my tent already but my room stinks cause I've got buds drying as well.
I had to get another fan/filter for that very reason. Regardless of the source of the smell, it'll take a carbon filter or something like Ona to eliminate the odor. I have used Ona out of necessity, and it does work (unlike anything else on the market from industrial chems, on down). But, something about filling the air my bud is drying in, with that stuff, never gave me a warm cozy feeling inside. :D

I've used Ona before and it works ok in a pinch if I have company over or something. I don't mind the smell in my house, it's definitely a skunk fest but IMO there is only so much a carbon filter can do when it get's close to harvest time and you've got 5 stinky bitches trying to claw their way out of your tent :D. I'm just worried about passing the smell outside with the AC exhaust... Not many if anybody goes on that side of the house very often, maybe just to mow the grass or check a meter but that's enough traffic for me to want to look into hiding the smell from the AC exhaust.

Exactly what I was thinking TBM!! An inline carbon fliter, not a can filter to attach to the ducting. I've been searching the web all morning with no luck.
Might be time for a little DIY action.

Thanks for the input TBM :smokebuds:

my ac has a 6" hose and I use a 6" carbon filter on the end of it..now it does have filters on the intake side but there just to keep dust out of the cooling coils... and here is a tip for you, take some 6" insulated duct and pull the outside insulation off and put it over your ac duct it will keep the heat for the exhaust hose from radiating heat in your room and yes they do get that hot out the exhaust..

Ive been having that same problem right now im toward the end of flower and the cheeses r stinkin up everything and i live right behind a wa lly world. So u can imagine im very worried about it most of the time my ozone generator handles the smell but after the lights come back on the smell is to much for my ozone gen to handle so if the wind blows strong and u know what ur lookin for ull smell it outside. I even have a carbon filter runnin non stop. So now im in the market for another.carbon filter not sure wit h one yet but it is a must and i may also invest in an ozone jr to add to my arsenel towards the end of flower when smell gets overwhealmin.. I 2 have thought about puttin my old carbon filter on the end of my ac duct but ive been worried about it causein my ac to over heat and burn up and i cant realy aford a 500 dollar hit like that right now so im just prayin im gonna be alright till harvest then ill be able to get what i need to be better prepared for my next grow as.i love these stinky strains.

Instead of a portable unit like that you might want to look at a mini split system. The compressor goes outside and the cooling element inside, so there is no exhaust from the room, eliminating your exhaust odor problem. A bit more money than a portable but might be worth a look.

Back