Please help me save my heavyweight auto's :(

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first grow. I've attached pics showing 3 of my ladies who aren't doing to well right now. I planted them on 7/16 @ 6AM. It is now day 4 and they have showed almost no growth since the 2nd day of being out of the soil and aren't looking so good...

I wasn't sure how much info was needed, this is quite a bit below but feel free to skip to the pics if you would rather just see what they look like instead of the huge read.

- I have a Agromax 2x4x6 growing tent

- My seeds I bought are called: Heavyweight Fast & Vast Auto Autoflowering Feminised Seeds

- I germinated them by placing them in pH'd 5.8 RO water for about 12 hours, checking them frequently until all 3 cracked open. After that, I removed them and placed them on layered plain white paper towels and made sure they were separated from each other and the paper towel was moist. Once I folded the paper towels over I placed them into a open plastic sandwich bag and let sit for about 20 hours in a dark warm place. Each seed sprouted about a half inch long tap root.

- I prepared my soil beforehand. I am using Promix HP w/mycorise. I filled 3 separate 3-Gallon pots up and then pH'd the soil with my 5.8 pH RO water flushing till about 15-20% run-off. I made sure before placing the seeds into each pot that the soil was moist, not soaked, moist as if you were to buy a garden bag of soil that kinda moist.

-I placed each seed w/taproot facing Down very carefully into 1/4" hole, maybe a tad bit deeper but not by much, then covered it lightly with some loose soil gently pressing down. Since the soil was still moist i only sprayed the top with 5.8 pH water around where i placed the seed, maybe like 5 sprays from the water bottle. I then put a large sandwich bag over the top of each 3 gallon bucket to create a little humidome for the tap roots to get the correct humidity needed to grow better (which i removed after 2-days of the seedlings being popping out of the soil).

- I decided after much research that I wanted to get my ladies out of the ground and into veg using CFL 6500K color temp spiral bulbs. Each pot has hanging above it 3 x 42w 2600 Lumens Spiral CFL bulbs. I wanted to make sure that they got all the light so i bought baking pans for reflectors... i know it was ghetto with the nice tent i bought but I had already purchased ext. cords and such for vertical use, later finding out horizontal is better. So i figured maybe this would direct some of the lost light downwards. Picture below.

-My lights are hanging about 2-4 inches away from the soil atm. I planned to move the lighting up little by little as they grew keeping them as close as possible to the plant without burning it.

-At the top of my Grow tent I have a GrowBright 4" Inline Fan & Carbon Filter Combo. The bottom flaps are opened to bring my house air inside which right now the house is set to 71 degrees. My digital thermometer inside the grow tent is reading 78.8F and 50% humidity.( is positioned at level with the top of the pots) with the lights and fans/carbon filter running.

-Additionally for flowering.. IF I ever make it that far :( ... I have hanging a 400W HPS setup attached to a 400w Ballast (Ballast is mounted outside the tent.) The HPS bulb is encased in a 4 Sided Horizontal Reflector.

- I have some clip on fan's im running that blow across the tops of the CFL lights I mentioned above. Both inline fan at the top and the fans at the bottom for the CFL bulbs run 24/7.

- From day 1 of putting them under the CFL's I chose to go with 18/6 lighting schedule.

- I haven't fed them any kind of nutes or anything weird just the pH 5.8 RO water ( I pH using a digital wand unit you swirl in the water, also i have a PPM meter the water reads 001-004 ppm that I'm using.) As far as watering I really haven't done much. Each day I just spritz around the seedling at the soil in a circle pattern, not much because i heard the roots need to search for water, i was just keeping the soil moist on the top. If i stick my finger into the bucket about 2 inches down its still somewhat moist so I haven't watered them just the spritzing once a day to make the top wet.

Phew.. hopefully your still with me after all that above. I just wanted to make sure I gave all the info so you when you look at my ladies in the pics you can tell me what I've done wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can provide. I can upload better pics if needed just let me know.

Top and bottom views attached.
Image 1003 and 1004 are seedling ONE.
Image 1005 and 1006 seedling TWO and the next 2 are seedling THREE.
The last pic is how i have the lights above each pot. Currently they are 3-4" away from the lil ladies.
The solo cups are a non-autoflower strain I just germinated and placed in there today because I fear i messed up the Auto's.

Attachments

• IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 90
I see there getting there first true leaves and parts of the seed leaves are dying off but this shouldn't hurt them.Make sure you have some fresh air going over them with a fan but only gently.They grow very slow at first until the roots are developing and as each set of new leaves appear they will pick up speed so just hold tight and they will be fine.Check back in a few days and let us no how there doing.

I'm no expert so take this comment for what it is. A new grower trying to help.

It looks like there is some funky shit from the humidity bags. Or, just to much water in general. You soaked the whole pot first? The idea of letting g the tap root search for water is to water less, more often. It will take 2 weeks for that seedling to grow enough to consume a fully soaked pot.
What I do, which may not be the "best way" is, make a hole in center of soil. 2 drops of water. Add seed, tap root facing down. Cover gently with soil. Spritz. Cover with a perforated, inverted, plastic cup (spritzed inside cup). Wait. When I see green, take cup off and give 100ml of water, straight down the stem, slowly.

My recommendation would be, stop spritzing them. Aim a fan directly at the pots, to help dry them out. And wait.

I am a new grower though.
Peace

Thank you for the fast replies guys. I have a oscillating fan on setting 1 of 3 (lowest) blowing over the top of all three pots since day 2. When i pre-soaked the soil for the initial setting of soil pH to 5.8, i waited a few days, then, by handfuls i took the soil out and squeezed any excess water out just leaving all the soil moist and not wet. Put the soil back in the pot and planted the seed. Same thing with the other two 3 gallon pots. I'm not sure if that's what I was supposed to do but too late now

@namvet25 ,

I'll take some more pictures over the next few days if I see any changes. Thanks again for the responses it gave me some hope. I was thinking I had to trash all three of them. Especially seedling 2 and 3, they look so freaking weird. Seedling 1 looks the best out of the three I guess but compared to videos I watch online of almost the exact setup I have, by day 4-5 they are MUCH bigger. Maybe a different kind of auto? I thought they all pretty much grow at the same rate being auto's and all.

Either way ill post updates and thanks again mate

Last edited:
No growth from yesterday to today. Will check back again tomorrow

:toke: Brownie-- I think the trouble is mostly the water and pH,.. RO has all pH buffering minerals removed from it (mainly CaCO3), so it will swing in pH wildly from even small inputs, and it's totally unstable,.. even atmospheric CO2 will acidify it! Also, pure water like that can actually pull nutrients out of the plant if there's nothing else in it (reverses the osmotic gradient across the root cells)... the water should have at least some Ca-Mg added back in, and after several days, some mild nutes, since Promix has very little in it,... can you mix in some tap water? Dechlorinated of course; this can help add some mineral content to the water,.. blending with RO is fine, if the water is really hard, high ppm's/EC... A root tonic of some sort would be fine to feed at first as well,..
Also, that pH 5.8 is too low, even for Promix, low 6's is best,... Promix is not a true soil, it's considered a "soilless " mix, like coco coir,... So, the seedlings are looking hammered from low pH medium, (peat is naturally acidic),... proximity to the CFL's might be too hot, being that close to the source,... put your thermometer right on top of the soil surface and see what it reads,... fans do help carry some heat away, but a reading is called for still,... how do they look today? With the cotlydons wasted away, they will have a rough recovery, but it's worth a try for a few days to see if they turn the corner,..

Hey guys -

This morning I put together some water with some additives to a Gallon size. I added Botanica - Cal-Mag Plus 1/2 ml, 1/4 Tbs of molasses and pH'd the water to 6.1. It read 071 PPM. The soil on all 3 pots were due for a watering today. I stuck my pointer finger into each of them (down to Two knuckles, and it was dry. At the bottom of the pot where all the drainage holes it had very little moisture left as well.
I very carefully watered each plant with the mix.
I also raised my lights from 2" to 4" away from the seedlings. The temperature from my digi thermometer reads 79.1 F, on the top of the soil with 50.4% humidity. I will upload some pictures towards the end of the day showing what the seedlings have done over the past few days. To be honest, seedling 1 and seedling 3 look almost the same as before. Seedling 2 however - her true leaves have grown a bit, not much, but are a tad bit longer then the previous pictures posted.

For the most part the true leaves on each seedlings are a solid green color, if they were dying/not growing wouldn't they be wilted or dying after almost a week? Either way, thank you guys for helping me out. I'll be back in about 7 hours with some pics of each again.

-Brownie

Day 6 after coming out of the soil. Still small, but like i said above seedling 2 has grow another small set of true leaves i think?

Attachments

• seedling 1 - side view.JPG
    seedling 1 - side view.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 69
  • seedling 1 - top.JPG
    seedling 1 - top.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 45
  • seedling 2 - side view.JPG
    seedling 2 - side view.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 68
  • seedling 2 - top.JPG
    seedling 2 - top.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 76
  • seedling 3 - side view.JPG
    seedling 3 - side view.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 65
  • seedling 3 - top.JPG
    seedling 3 - top.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 67
  • lights raised to 4 inches away.JPG
    lights raised to 4 inches away.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 55
how they doing now Brownie? Still stalled out? I might ask a couple Promix guru's to look in,...

Back