Lighting Planning for a DIY COB build

Raoul Duke

Get in!
Reaction score
Hey guys. As the title says, I'm planning for a DIY COB build. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to COBs, but I've been trying to do a little research. I'm basically looking for suggestions for my space right now. I have no components picked so feel free to throw out any suggestions. I have a 4x2x5 tent. Right now I have a Mars LED lighting one half and I'd like to set up cobs for the other half, so basically I need to fill a 2x2 space. I was thinking about doing 4 COBs running at a lower amperage for good coverage and penetration. I'm thinking a dimmable driver might be nice. The plan is also to eventually replace the Mars with more COBs when the time is right. Thoughts on reflectors (pros/cons)? The 4 COBs are just an idea, if you have suggestions for a different set up, let me know (and why). All suggestions are appreciated.

@BigSm0 @pop22 @Slater

Cheers

For autos? Start to finish?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I'm thinking more for flower, probably going to use the Mars to Veg. So I was thinking of going 3000k or 3500k. And it will be mostly for autos right now but I'm thinking of throwing some photos under it occasionally. Would you have different suggestions if it was for auto specific?

No, but for Autos, folks seem to do the one pot one light thing. I've ALWAYS had a separate mother 18/6 rig going for photos so you eliminate that BS time spinning your wheels between rounds. Thas why I axed...Lol. I would wholeheartedly recommend a Citizen 1812 or 1818 3500k 90cri running at 52-55w or so. 4 almost complete Autocobs with the above mentioned Meanie CC driver would make any man jealous, and you skip all the horse shit of sourcing heatsinks, and messing with Arctic Silver. 18awg solid core in series.. Badda bing badda boop badda book badda bupe.

No, but for Autos, folks seem to do the one pot one light thing. I've ALWAYS had a separate mother 18/6 rig going for photos so you eliminate that BS time spinning your wheels between rounds. Thas why I axed...Lol. I would wholeheartedly recommend a Citizen 1812 or 1818 3500k 90cri running at 52-55w or so. 4 almost complete Autocobs with the above mentioned Meanie CC driver would make any man jealous, and you skip all the horse shit of sourcing heatsinks, and messing with Arctic Silver. 18awg solid core in series.. Badda bing badda boop badda book badda bupe.

Thanks pal. Just checked out all those parts. This looks like the route I may go. The plan is to get just one plant under the light, so ya, "one pot one light thing". Opinions on reflectors? Necessary?

I'm not the guy to ask about that....Sorry. I think its a good idea as long as you're above the plant some. I personally am lacking reflectors, because they were out the last time I got COB gear. Which was just last week...Lol. This shit is addicting.

I'm not the guy to ask about that....Sorry. I think its a good idea as long as you're above the plant some. I personally am lacking reflectors, because they were out the last time I got COB gear. Which was just last week...Lol. This shit is addicting.

Ya the reflectors still seem to be out of stock. And I hear ya on the addicting part. I seem to be adding new things to the tent (or a new tent) every week.

Back