Mephisto Genetics Organic "Green Sea of Change" 6 MG strains always changing

Reaction score
I thought I would write a little about my grow style and tech. I am currently doing what I call the "Green Sea of Change". I am running six MG strains at a time, all staggered. I have a few that have finished, and six more in the works.

I grow organic, and am into soil building. I am a typical gardener, with a yard, garden, etc. I grow canna the same basic way I do everything else.

I make my own leaf mold to use instead of sphagnum peat moss in my soil mixes. All the leaves I gather are pesticide free, and some of the finest varieties to collect. Aspen/cottonwoods, alder, willow, and birch.

I also make my own compost for use in my soil mixes. I collect dandelions, clover, horsetail, and other garden/ yard waste to go with leaves. This might sound like a lot of work, but it is stuff I have to do to maintain my yards and gardens anyway, I just make bins and horde stuff. I also like to add some alfalfa and chicken manure if I can.

I like worms. I maintain extremely large populations of worms in my leaf mold, and compost that is done cooking. I use these two items in the production of 'Vermicompost" or 'VMC' for short. 'VMC' is compost that has been heavily worked by worms. Its a little different than straight Earthworm Castings or 'EWC', in that it is created from compost (or leaf mold), and the compost is still part of the finished product, unlike EWC that is usually separated castings only. I have a 'goto' mix for making vmc, that I have been using for years in various styles of worm bins. If anyone wants to hear more about how I make VMC, I would be happy to go into great detail.

I mostly grow "No till" style, with soil recycling incorporated into the initial mix. I use 10 gallon containers. This is pretty minimal in size for what I do, but I make it work. I exclusively use an unconventional potting scheme that utilizes wicking. What I do is start with an empty 10 gallon hard sided plastic nursery pot and a saucer. In the nursery pot, I place a few inches of landscaping lava rock. I have best results if I drive over the bag of lava rock with my truck, before I place it in the bottom of the nursery pot. On top of the lava rock goes a 10 gallon round smart pot. I roll the top edge of the smart pot around the top edge of the nursery pot. This roll, keeps the smart pot from sagging down into the nursery pot. The lava rock wicks moisture to the smart pot. A lot of folks use perlite for this, the lava rock works better with my mix in the long run. The smart pot is then filled with soil. I reserve an empty spot at the top, center for some seed starter. I plant seeds directly into this final container.

I basically use just tap water throughout the grow. I use a couple teas a couple times. Usually a kelp tea, a couple times, a kelp/ alfalfa tea a couple times, a sprouted corn tea once, and a malted barley tea once or twice. The teas are simple. 1 Tablespoon of an ingredient, to a gallon of water. Let sit 24-48 hours and use.

I also spray around a lot of aloe water. The seedlings and young plants love it. Its also great for moistening seed starter.

I mulch my containers very heavily. This the key to making things work in the longterm.

In my grow room, I use cob lights. Each plant has a 50 watt cob overhead, and a 40 watt cob as an angled side light. In veg I mostly use just an overhead cob.

I like to grow plants in 'Tomato cages' in a fairly natural style. I leaf tuck and branch tuck, but nothing extraordinary.

That's an intro into my style, and my program.

So far I have harvested and dried and jarred my first 3 MG plants.

Strain: Strawberry Nuggets
Grow Method: Homemade no till soil
Lights: 50 watt COB + 40 watt COB
Height: 16" Tall
Yield: 103 grams dry and cured
Harvest day: 73 from seedling emergence

Strain: Fugue State
Height: 38" Tall
Yield: 223 grams dry and cured
Harvest day: 78 from seedling emergence
Strain: 4Assed Monkey
Height: 24" Tall
Yield: 104 grams dry and cured
Harvest day: 76 from seedling emergence

I need to get a camera with a flash so I can really show off the frost levels on these things. The ipad doesn't do them justice.

Coming up in the rotation currently, I have a 'Forum Stomper', 'Fantasmo Express', 'Sour Stomper', 'Deez Nuggz', 'Port and Stilton', and an 'Auto Livers'. They are all staggered.

Every couple weeks I should have another one finishing, and another one started back in the same spot the same day.
Cheers
os

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I wanted to start an organic MG thread that was aimed at soil building. The thing that I really respect about @mephisto Genetics, is that they grow organic and tell everyone exactly how they do it. That is rare in my experience. Its not exactly my style, but more interesting to me than synthetic nutrients. I will get into more details on things as time goes on. I didn't want to start a thread with a super long first post that puts folks to sleep. The staggered grow should keep it fresh, with something new every week or 3.
cheers
os

>>> I also spray around a lot of aloe water.

Hi Organic Sinse, thanks for sharing all your info. What's aloe water? Aloe juice that's watered down?
Aloe Water, is water mixed with either 200x aloe concentrate or aloe juice from the store and water, or aloe plant inner fillet mixed with water.
For the 200x concentrate (available from BAS or 'ingredients to die for'), I use 1/4 tsp to a quart of water for foliar spraying, I start this as early as day 1.
For aloe juice from a bottle, I mix 1/8 cup aloe juice, to a quart of water for foliar spraying.
If using an aloe leaf inner fillet, I use about 2 tablespoons of inner material (the gel), mix it into a blender with a quart of water, and then strain before spraying.

This not only a great plant tonic, but a good seed starter soil drench, and regular soil drench.

I like the aloe water for the 'surfactant' and 'spreader' qualities of the aloe. The surfactant spreads the foliar spray so it doesn't bead up, lets you really soak them. It also is great for keeping the top soil from becoming hydrophobic (doesn't like to accept water). I fight low humidity inside during the winter months. Foliar spraying seedlings and plants in veg, as often as I can, helps make a micro climate with a little better humidity, than have in the rest of my grow room.

I always use aloe water to hydrate a soil mix, and its especially helpful for hydrating seed starter. There are also many other qualities to aloe that make it great for moistening seed starter. I feel that the aloe softens the 'husk' or seed shell, as well as containing salicylic acid that is beneficial to seedlings.

Every organic grower should find aloe as a helpful tool for the tool box. I grow a couple aloe vera plants in my grow room. According to NASA, aloe is a great 'air cleaner' as well. This another good reason to have one in your grow room. (Less smell is always good).
Last but not least, aloe is great for cuts, burns, skin conditions, etc

cheers
os

Back