Indoor Organic-experimental-tobacco&more-lowWatt-0maintenance(?)-12/12-breeding-outdoor-etc.

Are you kidding me?

View attachment 1402924

7+ million articles

View attachment 1402925

677,000 articles.

The information is out there.

I don’t think I’m kidding.

I am using Epsom salts and gypsum mainly for their ability to lower pH in growing mediums.

everything I can find says they ~do not lower pH, let alone going over the science, application rates, etc. of using them to lower pH.

why do people using Epsom salts in soil ~stop getting blossom end rot? Because it lowers the pH of their to high pH soil to the appropriate range for the plants they are growing. I know, I have experienced it myself, it is a pH issue. Obviously a bag of soil has the nutrients required for a seedling but if the pH is not good for the seedling, the nutrients are meaningless.

10 million articles, none with what I requested, which is fine. I’m doing it myself.

I have looked at quite a bit of stuff trying to find application rates for gypsum and Epsom for lowering pH, I can’t find anything decent. I believe epsoma (I think is the brand name), has a product with either Epsom or gypsum or both, for lowering pH, been meaning to look at it, other than that, I’m over looking for it.

If you can find pH adjusting using Epsom or gypsum, with the science attached, I’d be impressed. Not a request though because I don’t think it’s there to be found.

I don’t think I’m kidding.

I am using Epsom salts and gypsum mainly for their ability to lower pH in growing mediums.

everything I can find says they ~do not lower pH, let alone going over the science, application rates, etc. of using them to lower pH.

why do people using Epsom salts in soil ~stop getting blossom end rot? Because it lowers the pH of their to high pH soil to the appropriate range for the plants they are growing. I know, I have experienced it myself, it is a pH issue. Obviously a bag of soil has the nutrients required for a seedling but if the pH is not good for the seedling, the nutrients are meaningless.

10 million articles, none with what I requested, which is fine. I’m doing it myself.

I have looked at quite a bit of stuff trying to find application rates for gypsum and Epsom for lowering pH, I can’t find anything decent. I believe epsoma (I think is the brand name), has a product with either Epsom or gypsum or both, for lowering pH, been meaning to look at it, other than that, I’m over looking for it.

If you can find pH adjusting using Epsom or gypsum, with the science attached, I’d be impressed. Not a request though because I don’t think it’s there to be found.
Perhaps you should take a clue from that total lack of data. Epsom Salt and Gypsum are not used for PH adjustment in agriculture.

Blossom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency. Gypsum can correct that.

Perhaps you should take a clue from that total lack of data. Epsom Salt and Gypsum are not used for PH adjustment in agriculture.

Blossom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency. Gypsum can correct that.

here is a product to lower pH, supposedly
80% gypsum after going through q and a

Amazon product
30 pounds for 40 bucks or you can get gypsum at ~10 bucks for 40 pounds gypsum.

Same thing pretty much. ~70% gypsum
This one is 10 bucks for ~5 pounds of gypsum instead of the 40 pounds you can get of gypsum for the same price.

they also say to reapply after 4 weeks if necessary, I was under the impression elemental sulfur takes months to work but gypsum is ~instant and can probably be washed through if watering with runoff over the course of several weeks.

I add 1/2 cup gypsum to 1 gallon coco and see ~0.4 pH drop ~instantly

they both also have sulfur elemental sulfur, which from my testing doesn’t seem to work very well in my flower beds to lower pH, 6 months later, I see no change but need to play with it more, I am heavy on the dosages as well.

how does my soil not have the calcium for a seedling but the calcium for a large plant is beyond me, I think I will stick with the pH being off, since it was off and most likely is for others with the exact same problem.

On the topic of data, I was interested in seeing the data that says plants have different pH requirements depending on what medium they are grown in. I have been interested in seeing it but have not yet.

Last edited:
Here is a link for gypsum application rates. Epsoma brand
And the useful information, minus what pH change to expect again, oh, just says to keep doing it till desired pH is achieved.

We recommend wearing gardening gloves when feeding your plants
  • Hydrangeas & Blueberries: Apply in the spring to lower soil pH.
    New Plantings: 1-1/4 cups per plant.
    Established Plants: 2-1/2 cups per plant
    Spread evenly around the plant out to the drip line and water well. Repeat in 60 day intervals until desired pH or bloom color is achieved.
  • Potted Plants: One tbsp. for each 4˝ of pot diameter.
  • Broadcast Rate:
    Apply 12 lbs. per 100 sq. ft. for each one point reduction in soil pH desired. For heavy clay soils increase rate to 15 lbs. Gradual reduction in soil pH is preferred as dramatic reduction can result in stress.
  • As a Fertilizer: Apply 1/2 cup per 100 square feet (1 tablespoon per plant) around the root zone
*Safer than Aluminum Sulfate due to potential toxic levels of Aluminum with continued use of Aluminum Sulfate.

Blueberries, Hydrangeas and other acid loving plants

Use on all acid loving plants, trees and shrubs including:
Amaryllis,Andromeda, Aster, Azalea,Bayberry,Bleeding Heart,Blueberry,Camelli,Dogwood,Evergreens,Ferns,Fir,Gardenia,Heath,Heather,Hemlock,Holly,Huckleber,Hydrangea,Inkberry,Juniper,Leucothoe,Lily-of-the-Valley,Lupin,Magnolia,Marigold,Mountain Ash,MouuntaLaurel,Oak,Pachysandra,Phlox,Pieris,Pine,Raspberry,Rhododendron,Spruce,Strawberries,Wood-sorrel,Arborvitae & Boxwood are evergreens that do not require acid soils.

And here is for the Jobes, but they don't give any application rates.

here is appcliqtion rate for Epsom salts.
9837D415-DD0F-4759-A02A-BD33E85D4BE5.png

BCBF5A64-BCDB-4960-8E26-73433C90583B.png

C65095AD-88FE-422F-929A-58A225587341.png

Id say I was pretty close, if not spot on for a plant as messed up as op’s.

I would now have different advice, after using what I have now a little longer. I would suggest to combine a variety of things and dosages only after being sure of pot and plant size. Just looking at the pics of op’s plants in that thread, I assumed the plants were of decent enough size, I shouldn’t assume like that.

I have also heard of and seen people putting that much under seedlings and younger plants, not worked into enough soil or worked well enough, to the point even I was shocked lol. That I don’t suggest.

Last edited:
It is the Elemental sulfur that is lowering the PH in Epsoma soil acidifier.

Epsom salt is used for magnesium and sulfur both essential plant nutrients, not for lowering PH even if that happens it is not the intended purpose.

Show me the AutoFlower crop! The proof is in the pudding.

It is the Elemental sulfur that is lowering the PH in Epsoma soil acidifier.

Epsom salt is used for magnesium and sulfur both essential plant nutrients, not for lowering PH even if that happens it is not the intended purpose.

Show me the AutoFlower crop! The proof is in the pudding.

Are you trying to imply that gypsum does not lower pH?

My intended purpose with epsom salts is to lower pH and it does that for anyone that uses it unless their starting pH is lower than the pH of the epsom.

Proof of what?

Last edited:
Are you trying to imply that gypsum does not lower pH?

My intended purpose with epsom salts is to lower pH and it does that for anyone that uses it unless their starting pH is lower than the pH of the epsom.

Proof of what? I'm not trying to prove anything. My whole grow set up would probably take more than 200 watts, 12 hours of the day if I was.
No, Gypsum will change soil PH slightly but that is not its main purpose in Agriculture.

You are telling people to put 1/2 cup of Epsom salt on 1 gallon of coco to grow cannabis. Show us you can do that. Isn't that what all your experiments are about?

Happy New Year by the way. I need to pop over into LS for a bit and then split the sheets.

You are telling people to put 1/2 cup of Epsom salt on 1 gallon of coco to grow cannabis. Show us you can do that. Isn't that what all your experiments are about?

To quote myself for the second time, since you want to lie about what I said (again), and also how do you know the OP's pot size or growing medium?
You can lower pH ~0.5ph per half cup Epsom salt for a gallon of coco, Probably a little bit more needed for soil. See my most recent post in my journal for more details

maybe try 1/4 cup, dissolve in warm water just till you get enough run off to test. I always try and use 6.0pH for runoff testing because that is what i am aiming for, though water pH has very litttle impact on soil/medium pH from my testing.

And this is what I already replied to you here already, that you did not respond to then, but lie about again.
here is the thread. I suggested they use 1/4 cup, the biggest mistake I made was not knowing their pot size, so long as it was a gallon or more, I think it was okay. The guys plants were toast, because pH. The 'mods' there are not giving advice on adjusting pH and bringing it back into range, from what I saw, correct me if I'm wrong.

What is lying to me about what I said supposed to achieve?

Please, feel free not to respond if just more lying.

and here is the results of 1/4 cup epsom salts, applied in worst manner possible, to less than a gallon of soil.

Not to mention, the people selling the Epsom salts suggest the same as and more than I did in some cases.

Last edited:
Found some more stuff to add to my flower beds, free fertilizer everywhere now that trees are dropping leaves. I got one more tree and all the leaves are completely brown/dried, just waiting for them to drop and I will use them for a top cover
22E26457-E957-4BED-AAE4-989EF9B90683.jpeg
63C81195-161F-44EF-A3EB-3CC40D1B6C63.jpeg

F8D62C43-5AD0-4053-BD2E-F756ECB038F6.jpeg

E93364F0-90CF-49F7-B490-2B941F951A37.jpeg

While all these leaves are around I wanted to try another experiment, using leaves to lower ppm and pH of city tap water. I think these are in a 7-10 gallon pot, probably 1/3 full of leaves and the rest is 0.7 ec/8.0pH tap water. Will test in a few days and more after that. Most leaves are brown, some green.
EB5A053B-FBE6-4B32-9D48-A5558E715B72.jpeg

Also started up a bigger batch of vinegar, I think I can add a little more water, everything in there now is probably around 4-5 gallons. Bottles to keep it from floating.
0EC267D2-9DF9-4B60-8A05-8EEFFA90232B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back