Drew Pearson

Stroke
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Amnesia haze cbd auto Dinafem
Hello AFN family,

First, I am an amateur grower and have tried several different techniques to growing. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money switching my grow set ups and am not satisfied with my yields. I am obviously doing something wrong but I am unable to figure out what it is. I have run 5 small grows, from seed to harvest just for my personal use, but the yields that I get is never worth the time, money or effort.

Some history,

1st grow, I used some crappy, so called organic miracle grow soil with 250 true watts of draw using cfl's. The plant stretched like crazy and grew huge but only produces about 22g's dry and I had this plant in veg for about 4 months before flowering it. Fail. this was before I know about ph and organic nutrients. this plant thrived on miracle grow plant food.
(seed was a feminized blue dream).

2nd grow I did some research and purchased a Viparspectra 450 watt led light and used ff ocean forest with fox farm big bloom, grow big and tiger bloom nutrients and just I knew I would get a decent yield. I also ph'ed my water to 6.3. I ended up with about 24 g's dry. after approx. 2 months of veg and 2 months of flower (seed was dinafem cbd fem)

3rd grow was a repeat of the second grow. I focused on making sure my PH, temps and humidity was right, Still only yielded about 20 grams dry.
(seed was dinafem cbd fem)

4rd grow I thought the second and third grow were flukes! I thought "fundementals". I'm going to be a ph, humidity, temp and nutes Nazi who doesn't over water. Make sure that I'm doing everything perfect,. I also wondered if I caused nutrient lockout due to the nutes but plants did not show any deficiencies throughout the grow. I also decided to try my hand at auto flowers. I was thinking they are supposed to thrive and flower no matter what so I purchased kind soil, two three gallon fabric smart pots and planted one Fast buds Pinneaple express auto and Royal Queen Seeds Girl scout cookies auto. 24 hr ligh cycle, My total yield was18g's dry. SMH

5th Grow I'm guessing by now tried nutes, tried Kind soil, I NEED MORE LIGHT. So,I purchased two 3000k autocobs from BigSmo and some kind soil. I purchased, germinated and planted an amnesia haze cbd autoflower from Dinafem and a pineapple express auto from fastbuds. with my new lights, perfect ph water, right temps, right humidity, I should get at least three ounces off of two auto's. NOPE. yielded about 26 g's dry. 18/6 light cycle

(FYI) after two grows, I switched my primary soil from fox farm to roots organic because I kept getting bugs.

WTF AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!

The bud I end up with is high quality. It smokes awesome, smells and cures awesome. It's potent, Friends of mine have smoked it and tell me often that it's the best bud they ever had etc. but my plants always seem dwarfed. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Hello AFN family,

First, I am an amateur grower and have tried several different techniques to growing. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money switching my grow set ups and am not satisfied with my yields. I am obviously doing something wrong but I am unable to figure out what it is. I have run 5 small grows, from seed to harvest just for my personal use, but the yields that I get is never worth the time, money or effort.

Some history,

1st grow, I used some crappy, so called organic miracle grow soil with 250 true watts of draw using cfl's. The plant stretched like crazy and grew huge but only produces about 22g's dry and I had this plant in veg for about 4 months before flowering it. Fail. this was before I know about ph and organic nutrients. this plant thrived on miracle grow plant food.
(seed was a feminized blue dream).

2nd grow I did some research and purchased a Viparspectra 450 watt led light and used ff ocean forest with fox farm big bloom, grow big and tiger bloom nutrients and just I knew I would get a decent yield. I also ph'ed my water to 6.3. I ended up with about 24 g's dry. after approx. 2 months of veg and 2 months of flower (seed was dinafem cbd fem)

3rd grow was a repeat of the second grow. I focused on making sure my PH, temps and humidity was right, Still only yielded about 20 grams dry.
(seed was dinafem cbd fem)

4rd grow I thought the second and third grow were flukes! I thought "fundementals". I'm going to be a ph, humidity, temp and nutes Nazi who doesn't over water. Make sure that I'm doing everything perfect,. I also wondered if I caused nutrient lockout due to the nutes but plants did not show any deficiencies throughout the grow. I also decided to try my hand at auto flowers. I was thinking they are supposed to thrive and flower no matter what so I purchased kind soil, two three gallon fabric smart pots and planted one Fast buds Pinneaple express auto and Royal Queen Seeds Girl scout cookies auto. 24 hr ligh cycle, My total yield was18g's dry. SMH

5th Grow I'm guessing by now tried nutes, tried Kind soil, I NEED MORE LIGHT. So,I purchased two 3000k autocobs from BigSmo and some kind soil. I purchased, germinated and planted an amnesia haze cbd autoflower from Dinafem and a pineapple express auto from fastbuds. with my new lights, perfect ph water, right temps, right humidity, I should get at least three ounces off of two auto's. NOPE. yielded about 26 g's dry. 18/6 light cycle

(FYI) after two grows, I switched my primary soil from fox farm to roots organic because I kept getting bugs.

WTF AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!

The bud I end up with is high quality. It smokes awesome, smells and cures awesome. It's potent, Friends of mine have smoked it and tell me often that it's the best bud they ever had etc. but my plants always seem dwarfed. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
Damn sorry to hear that! Whats the size of pots your using and grow space size? Better yet send pics of the grow set up. How early on are you feeding nutes? What kind of water are you using?

Last edited:
1.Don't use Miricle Grow or Fox Farm soil.Don't concern your self with wattage draw it just tells you what the light uses to operate.You can grow with cfl lights but you have to have enough of them and the correct light spectrum for veg and flowering.LED lights are great for growing but you have to have a decent one with a good par value to grow higher yields and potent buds.Also Kind soil has also had bad reviews so I would skip that also.You should stick with Auto's that finish much faster than photos and need no dark period.You should be using at least 5 gal pots like air pots and use soil like Promix or Sunshine mix that has michorizae in it.There are other factors also like nutes, Cal/mag etc,If you have any questions send me a PM and i'll try and help.

I use Gerber pure, distilled, fluoride free water which has a PH of 6.5.

My space is 3x3.

I've been using 3 gallon smart pots.

I used Kind soil for my last two grows. It's supposed to be a water only, hot soil. My yields were so low using nutes, I figured I would try the kind soil because it was simple. You put the kind soil at the bottom of the pot and fill it up the rest of the way with an organic soil of your choosing. I believe they recommend roots organic which is what I use. (they break down how to use it here www.kindsoil.com)

When I did use nutes, I wouldn't start feeding until about 3 weeks into veg. I would start off with half strength and feed once per week. In flower, every other week to prevent over watering. (I water once every 3-4 days as needed).

I am growing a photo period Killer Kush Fast version from sweet seeds that seems to be doing okay. I will upload pics of it and the space.

I forgot to mention my 6th grow. I grew another pineapple express auto by fastbuds and a cheese cbd auto from dinafem. This cheese cbd is awesome. probably would be my everyday smoke. I want to grow another one but I want to make sure I get a better yield.

20180801_104404.jpg

Back