Outdoor Moby Dick XXL

Second set of leaves are starting to show ^^

df016396c5f664ff4be47cbe8a4a33b2.jpg

So far the weather had been awesome; allot of sun So far.

It’s been 2 weeks now and one plant is starting to grow super fast compared to the other one, it’s about 2cm wider. The slow grower is the “crooked one” I showed above. It seems to grow really slow and continues to grow asymmetric. On one side the leaves always grow faster. Strange.. but let’s see how it continues :)

By the way, upcoming weekend I will not be home (I leave Saturday morning and come back on Monday). So I won’t be able to water them for more than 48hours. Is this a problem? If so, what could I do?

Alright, I’m starting to think I sometimes give them too much water anyway.. I read that some people soak the soil of the entire pot and don’t water them again for the first 2 weeks.. they are planted in a 12l pot, I water about half a liter per day when it was hot outside. Once it cooled down (end of last week and this week), I kept doing this and I noticed the water running through and coming out on the bottom. When I touch the soil, it has never felt “wet” to me though.. even when the water runs through, the soil on top just looks and feels moist but never wet.

I might need to invest in a good probe to make sure :)

How much do you outdoor growers water the plants?

Today I’ve put them in the greenhouse but it was 26 degrees outside and 30+ inside the greenhouse. So I fully opened the doors and placed the pots right at the opening so they stay cooler + maximum ventilation. However I needed to water them like 3 or 4 times to keep the soil moist. With these temperatures it goes crazy fast.. tomorrow I will be at work all day and it will be 27+ degrees outside. So I’m thinking of placing the pots outside of the greenhouse before I leave because it might become an oven tomorrow..

Hi Moby,
Last summer I was watering twice a day when the temps were getting around 100/38. My plants were in huge pots ( 8 gallons). They got a morning watering for 5 minuets from the auto dripper system and then I would water them by hand at 3 in the afternoon with 2 gallons from a watering pot. They loved it. However, keep in mind the air humidity & how dry the soil is - those are variables to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been 2 weeks now and one plant is starting to grow super fast compared to the other one, it’s about 2cm wider. The slow grower is the “crooked one” I showed above. It seems to grow really slow and continues to grow asymmetric. On one side the leaves always grow faster. Strange.. but let’s see how it continues :)

By the way, upcoming weekend I will not be home (I leave Saturday morning and come back on Monday). So I won’t be able to water them for more than 48hours. Is this a problem? If so, what could I do?

Alright, I’m starting to think I sometimes give them too much water anyway.. I read that some people soak the soil of the entire pot and don’t water them again for the first 2 weeks.. they are planted in a 12l pot, I water about half a liter per day when it was hot outside. Once it cooled down (end of last week and this week), I kept doing this and I noticed the water running through and coming out on the bottom. When I touch the soil, it has never felt “wet” to me though.. even when the water runs through, the soil on top just looks and feels moist but never wet.

I might need to invest in a good probe to make sure :)

Even if the soil is just moist, and not wet, then that's enough.
Let the top of the soil surface dry out. It'll change to a lighter color.
Don't keep it moist on top all the time, can invite mold or damping off.

Not watering for 48 hrs is fine. Prob good for them.
If you're not sure, give them a nice water before you leave.
They'll be just fine when you return.

Sounds like both plants are fine. Often the slow ones catch up later.
Don't worry about it! I have a couple of plants that were slow and sickly.
Now they are doing fine, and may be my best yielders!

Watering to runoff, when the water runs out the bottom, is okay.
But if you do that too much, can wash away finer soil particles and nutrients.

Sometimes water from the top of the pot, and sometimes from the bottom.
If you have the pots in trays, you can slowly pour some water into the trays,
and the soil will draw the water up inside.
This is a nice way to keep the bottom moist, and draw roots deeper down.

Back