Outdoor Mice or squirrels chewing my plants

Muddy

Proud deplorable!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
OG Kush, Deep Cheese, Key Lime
Either a mouse or a squirrel has had a field day chewing the bark off of my photo plants. I checked them yesterday and they were fine. Today I noticed that my Pineapplegum plant was kind of droopy. On closer inspection I found that all the bark had been eaten away from about 2 to 5" up the stalk, and out on several branches. I also found 3 others that had the same thing to a lesser degree. I applied some petroleum jelly around the base of the stalks and up about 6". I also placed a spoon full of instant potatoes near each stalk. If it is a mouse, they will eat it, it will expand in their stomaches and kill them. If it's a squirrel, that's a different story. Then it's either the 22 or the trap.

I've never had this happen to me before, how about anyone else? Any suggestions on prevention?

Only way I deal with pests is to shoot them :firedevil: :lol:

I usually just use the .22, but if they make me really mad the 12 gauge with buckshot comes out :ama:

The only time I had the stalks chewed it was neither of the rodents you suggested. It was a stinking porcupine but maybe you don't have them in Tennesee. My dog keeps them away. He has been quilled 3 times and he hates having the quills pulled. When I see one now I have to go and borrow my neighbours 22 magnum. Everything I got spreads em across the patch.

Either a mouse or a squirrel has had a field day chewing the bark off of my photo plants. I checked them yesterday and they were fine. Today I noticed that my Pineapplegum plant was kind of droopy. On closer inspection I found that all the bark had been eaten away from about 2 to 5" up the stalk, and out on several branches. I also found 3 others that had the same thing to a lesser degree. I applied some petroleum jelly around the base of the stalks and up about 6". I also placed a spoon full of instant potatoes near each stalk. If it is a mouse, they will eat it, it will expand in their stomaches and kill them. If it's a squirrel, that's a different story. Then it's either the 22 or the trap.

I've never had this happen to me before, how about anyone else? Any suggestions on prevention?

My buddies dad used to make up a jalapeno paste to put on his stalks when he seen stuff like that.

What ever it was caught on real quik not to do it anymore :D

Trouble is the only place I can get a good shot at em means I'm shooting toward the road. I can hear any cars coming, which are few, but someone might be walking that I can't hear. Unlikely, but still possible. Gonna get my trap out tomorrow and set it.

Only way I deal with pests is to shoot them :firedevil: :lol:

I usually just use the .22, but if they make me really mad the 12 gauge with buckshot comes out :ama:

---------- Post added 09-25-2011 at 07:31 PM ----------

There are plenty of rabbits around but these are in 15 gallon pots. I've never known rabbits to jump up on a pot.

Could be rabbits too

---------- Post added 09-25-2011 at 07:33 PM ----------

No porcupines down here. Coons, possums and skunks for the most part. But my dogs keep em all away. Never see any around the house.

The only time I had the stalks chewed it was neither of the rodents you suggested. It was a stinking porcupine but maybe you don't have them in Tennesee. My dog keeps them away. He has been quilled 3 times and he hates having the quills pulled. When I see one now I have to go and borrow my neighbours 22 magnum. Everything I got spreads em across the patch.

use rat traps and mouse traps and/or bait em and kill em

if you use bait leave a bowl of water nearby... you'll find them dead there... they go for the water when the poison kicks in...

Everything I got spreads em across the patch.

rofl! :crying: fast fert mate!

Oh it mice for sure this happens to me quite frequently... once the eats all the way around the plant is dead within a week, but as long as there is some outer cambium left the plant lives on. Kill at once use some old fashion mouse traps...lots of them it may be team work.

Team work for sure. Way too much eaten for just one mouse. Yet, they girted that whole plant. It was drooping already so I expect I'll have to harvest in real soon. Fortunately it was almost ready.

I checked just before dark and no further damage and the instant potatoes weren't touched. I'll check in the morning again. Don't have any traps, will need to pick some up tomorrow.

Oh it mice for sure this happens to me quite frequently... once the eats all the way around the plant is dead within a week, but as long as there is some outer cambium left the plant lives on. Kill at once use some old fashion mouse traps...lots of them it may be team work.

---------- Post added 09-25-2011 at 08:30 PM ----------

Maybe a killer rabbit. Where's my Holy Hand Grenade?

Watch your fingers, you need em to keep us updated :D

---------- Post added 09-25-2011 at 08:31 PM ----------

Don't want to put out poison if I can help. Other innocent critters might get it or one of my dogs.

use rat traps and mouse traps and/or bait em and kill em

if you use bait leave a bowl of water nearby... you'll find them dead there... they go for the water when the poison kicks in...

rofl! :crying: fast fert mate!

Back