Indoor Mephisto/Soil/Autopot

Just checkin in as I’ve just managed to come across your journal bro.

Here is my thoughts on what’s happened on the early flowering...

The transplant has been too early. I wait until they’re around day 12-14 before I transplant. They are a little heartier at that age from my experience. I did transplant my stardawg at day 11 and she still trotted along nicely, but I will be aiming for the 14 day mark my next run. So stress could have been induced from the early transplant. I believe they do look a little under watered at the beginning. Under watering shows the same symptoms as over watering. And lastly, the LST has been too early I believe. Could have been the reason the nugs etc flowered early. My plants don’t usually flower until around week 5-6. I grew a strawberry pie from fastbuds and I trained early too and she flowered on me within three weeks and ended up short and not soo good. Begin LST around three weeks when they are bigger and you should be gold bro.

They still look pretty good and the smoke should be awesome!

The transplant has been too early. I wait until they’re around day 12-14 before I transplant. They are a little heartier at that age from my experience. I did transplant my stardawg at day 11 and she still trotted along nicely, but I will be aiming for the 14 day mark my next run. So stress could have been induced from the early transplant. I believe they do look a little under watered at the beginning. Under watering shows the same symptoms as over watering. And lastly, the LST has been too early I believe. Could have been the reason the nugs etc flowered early. My plants don’t usually flower until around week 5-6. I grew a strawberry pie from fastbuds and I trained early too and she flowered on me within three weeks and ended up short and not soo good. Begin LST around three weeks when they are bigger and you should be gold bro.

FANTASTIC FEEDBACK. Transplant could have been better, that’s for sure. The transplant has been a lingering thought in trying to understand what is happening. I do know that the soil was on the dry side when I transplanted. It was my first time.

Totally agree!
I was a bit reluctant to transplant. I'd rather direct plant, but it can be very handy. I have noticed a difference in transplanting at different times. Day 14 is what I did the first time, but it was a cutout double solo cup set up. I didn't really like the way the tap root was with that set up. I did 14 days again in a regular little thin planter. At that time period, the root progress was extensive when I popped her out of the planter, but far from being circled badly. They didn't seem to skip a beat at all. The next set got transplanted at day 8. Naturally, the roots weren't as extensive and they did not seem to be quite as vigerous as the last.
Yup, when I don't stall them, around day 21 I'll start lst.

Just a quick tent pic. Still progressing with water only. Thanks to some of the fabulous input from more experienced growers, I have learned ANOTHER valuable lesson. LIFTA!

I dropped a couple more seeds (GSC & GG) to see how they grow. I am half way thru my 2nd grow and STILL don’t know how a plant grows (structure). I am so focused on LST and maximizing yield. In my pursuit to maximize, I impose my will thus not seeing nor understanding how the plant grows.

73943C11-E019-4614-ADCA-6E2A87BEC721.jpeg

Day 59- STILL water only. I absolutely LOVE this. Original soil mix ran a little hot in the N which presented its issues, but I just kept my head down and didn’t make ANY adjustments. I added 2 gal of soil to dilute my soil for next grow. Another step I will take next grow is to put hay or mulch on top of Autopots. The top 3-4 inches of pots are bone dry. The wicking doesn’t seem to keep up with the evaporation.

As I am a self proclaimed @pop22 disciple, I had a conversation about grow stones in the bottom of the pot and it’s impact to wicking. Pop’s position is it goes against the rule of hydraulics, which is accurate, however, Autopots says otherwise. My current grow also indicates that the grow stones/wicking works, BUT doesnt keep up with the evaporation. My plan is for next grow is to put a top cover to slow down evap. I will also do 1 pot without any stones so I can do a side by side comparison. I’m still processing our conversation.

E6026553-208F-43F2-BB37-873B55193388.jpeg

My point was that they don't prevent wicking, just greatly impede it. In the plastic auto pots you get the top 2-3 inches drying out and I imagine it's worse in the cloth pots with it's increased surface area for evaporation. Without the stones, my pots usually were at least slightly moist at the surface to maybe dry an inch down in winter when my RH was 25-35 %.
And I'm glad you to want to see for yourself, this is how we learn, by challenging concepts we have doubts about. And it leads us to seek more knowledge, and soon you find yourself looking up other garden and plant related information just out of curiosity.

And you've got some delicious looking bud!

Day 59- STILL water only. I absolutely LOVE this. Original soil mix ran a little hot in the N which presented its issues, but I just kept my head down and didn’t make ANY adjustments. I added 2 gal of soil to dilute my soil for next grow. Another step I will take next grow is to put hay or mulch on top of Autopots. The top 3-4 inches of pots are bone dry. The wicking doesn’t seem to keep up with the evaporation.

As I am a self proclaimed @pop22 disciple, I had a conversation about grow stones in the bottom of the pot and it’s impact to wicking. Pop’s position is it goes against the rule of hydraulics, which is accurate, however, Autopots says otherwise. My current grow also indicates that the grow stones/wicking works, BUT doesnt keep up with the evaporation. My plan is for next grow is to put a top cover to slow down evap. I will also do 1 pot without any stones so I can do a side by side comparison. I’m still processing our conversation.

View attachment 1394625

View attachment 1394625
Day 59 from sprout? If so those are fast. I had one finish in 72 days at the earliest. Good job.

Day 59 from sprout? If so those are fast. I had one finish in 72 days at the earliest. Good job.
I’ve added Nothing but water. I have also been pushing the ppfd from the start. The HLG600R is no joke. I started at 435 watts and never increased. Spent time early trying to maintain the canopy so I can keep light close. 800+ ppfd the entire grow (500 ppfd during seedling).

Back