Outdoor Mephisto alfresco

Thanks Dr lsd. My water has a ph of 6.5, would this work? Do you think I can use organic nutes in coco or should i swap to a chem fert? As i don't have a grow shop within 700km do you think i can use coco from a general garden store? Sorry for all the questions but I couldn't find much info on growing in coco outdoors! It's something i would love to try
I read a couple of pages back that you were considering trying coco at some point. If you do hit me up. It doesn't have to be complicated and you can get away without testing you ph and ec. I like getting a bit technical but it is not necessary to have good results. It's basically the same as soil except you can feed more regularly, and you mix nutes every feed. Except once a week when you water with plain water to flush out any salts. If your water source is about ph 7 you will get away without adjusting your ph with most nutrient lines.

Good luck with everything :) hope you surpass your goals!

I think bunnings has coco in block form. You want coco without feed in it preferably. You may find a lot of the coco in garden stores have fertalisers mixed in which you want to avoid. But if you can find something without feed, I don't see any reason not to use it. Probally going to save you some $. Might be worth rinsing it, as some cheap coco can have salt in it. As coconuts are often grown near the sea.

6.5 should be okay. The chem ferts mixed full strength will normally take you from a ph of 7 to 5.8. so since you have a slightly low ph, just mix the more lightly at 2/3 of the recomended strength. E.g. 2ml per lt instead of 3ml per lt. I normally do this and have to use ph pown to get it right. But you should be close to spot on by just using a bit less.

There are some one part fertalisers that are powdered. General hydroponics makes one. Koolbloom or something. Makes heaps and would be convenient to post opposed to using a heavy liquid fert considering your distance to a shop. Tomato magic would also work well, or any other soluble fertaliser for tomatoes, but you may need to check your ph with them. A cheap liquid ph testing kit is fine and often more reliable than a ph pen. Landmark or elders might have something in bulk super cheap. But you need something soluble so you can mix it properly with water.

No reason organics would not work also. But you are not trying to build healthy soil with coco, just make sure the correct food is avaliable to you roots.

The main difference with watering coco is that you don't want your medium to ever dry out. There is a lot more oxygen in the media so you can water quite often and disregard wet dry cycles that are needed with heavier soil mixes. Each time you water you correct the nutrient balance in your coco, so they always gave the correct tucker.

Outdoors coco and indoors coco are the same thing. The only difference maybe is that it is good to mulch your coco outside to prevent wind drying out the top of your pots. But any technique used indoors for coco is the same as outdoirs except you are using the sun instead of a light and wind instead of a fan.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks very much for the reply and answering my newbie questions! I have a small block of coco here from bunnings, i will put in to hydrate and give this a go. I will give it a try with the biobizz nutes as that's what i have on hand at the moment. I will get on and get some cal/mg today as in the little bit I have read about coco it seems like a must have? Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.
I think bunnings has coco in block form. You want coco without feed in it preferably. You may find a lot of the coco in garden stores have fertalisers mixed in which you want to avoid. But if you can find something without feed, I don't see any reason not to use it. Probally going to save you some $. Might be worth rinsing it, as some cheap coco can have salt in it. As coconuts are often grown near the sea.

6.5 should be okay. The chem ferts mixed full strength will normally take you from a ph of 7 to 5.8. so since you have a slightly low ph, just mix the more lightly at 2/3 of the recomended strength. E.g. 2ml per lt instead of 3ml per lt. I normally do this and have to use ph pown to get it right. But you should be close to spot on by just using a bit less.

There are some one part fertalisers that are powdered. General hydroponics makes one. Koolbloom or something. Makes heaps and would be convenient to post opposed to using a heavy liquid fert considering your distance to a shop. Tomato magic would also work well, or any other soluble fertaliser for tomatoes, but you may need to check your ph with them. A cheap liquid ph testing kit is fine and often more reliable than a ph pen. Landmark or elders might have something in bulk super cheap. But you need something soluble so you can mix it properly with water.

No reason organics would not work also. But you are not trying to build healthy soil with coco, just make sure the correct food is avaliable to you roots.

The main difference with watering coco is that you don't want your medium to ever dry out. There is a lot more oxygen in the media so you can water quite often and disregard wet dry cycles that are needed with heavier soil mixes. Each time you water you correct the nutrient balance in your coco, so they always gave the correct tucker.

Outdoors coco and indoors coco are the same thing. The only difference maybe is that it is good to mulch your coco outside to prevent wind drying out the top of your pots. But any technique used indoors for coco is the same as outdoirs except you are using the sun instead of a light and wind instead of a fan.

Hope that helps a little.

S.O.D.K she's about 2.5 feet tall and nearly 3 feet wide...pics don't do her justice!
20181105_080543.jpg

If biobizz already has cal mag i would not bother. Normally cal mag issues are a ph issue and that's why the plants are not taking it up. If biobizz already has cal mag it's probably unnecessary. If I have a mag cal issue the first thing i check is my ph. Plants are looking great!

I'd opt for a little bottle to test ph before getting cal mag

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of catterpillers?? The girls are a couple of weeks into flower....willing to try just about anything @Growtogrow @Dr LSD

Ok thanks to @Waira and @Mañ'O'Green I think my catterpillers will be in for a bad time! We are going to use some biological warfare on the little fuckers! I have ordered some bacillus thuringiensis. Thanks to AFN my grow will go on

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of catterpillers?? The girls are a couple of weeks into flower....willing to try just about anything @Growtogrow @Dr LSD
Do you have Rubbing Alcohol ?
Do you have a sprayer ?
If so 1 cup of rubbing alcohol to 1 qt of water and 2 tsp of mild dish detergent.
spray your plants to drench repeat every other day until they're gone.

Sent[emoji297][emoji100][emoji482]

Ok thanks to @Waira and @Mañ'O'Green I think my catterpillers will be in for a bad time! We are going to use some biological warfare on the little fuckers! I have ordered some bacillus thuringiensis. Thanks to AFN my grow will go on
Be sure to spray this just before sunset as the sunlight will limit the effectiveness of the bt. You are not getting cold nights are you? If so try to time it so the plant will be just dry before sunset.

Back