Maybe nutrient lockout.

As stated, coco is not soil.

The pH in coco needs to be between 5.8-6.2, if you are running all the way up to 6.8 you will have trouble. Water to runoff every time. Get at least 20% runoff volume.

Example: Water in - 1000ml, you should get 200ml of runoff.
So I did what you said. The runoff was 7.04. I PH my water to 6.0 with some microbes to help out. I ran it until a good bit of runoff. The runoff started at 7.04 and after all the drainage stopped I tested the last bit of runoff. It was at 6.8. The next watering will be the same. I am sure the damage has been done. I will focus on the proper range from now on. I was treating it like soil because of the amendments I put in there. Well… my top dress. Lesson learned. Thank you for the information.

The plant can recover quickly. That's the great thing about coco. Just start putting in the right stuff and you can fix issues fast.

Don't worry about the runoff pH just the input pH. However, you can absolutely test the runoff EC/ppm. I collect and test all my runoff for both volume and ppm. I watch the volume to make sure I am giving enough fertigation and check the runoff ppm to see if I need more/less strength.

I am going to start a grow diary as you said. Thank you for the information. I am sure I am making this harder for myself than need be.
That’s the spirit :cheers: Tag some coco people when you start and you will be nicely on your way.

on your point of over complicating things that is generally what’s happens at the start. I can’t believe how much equipment I have bought over the years and never use it, I found over time the easier/simpler you make it, the better it is for your mentalness:crying:

The plant can recover quickly. That's the great thing about coco. Just start putting in the right stuff and you can fix issues fast.

Don't worry about the runoff pH just the input pH. However, you can absolutely test the runoff EC/ppm. I collect and test all my runoff for both volume and ppm. I watch the volume to make sure I am giving enough fertigation and check the runoff ppm to see if I need more/less strength.
I really appreciate your reply. Thank you. After I adjusted the PH the growth changed overnight. Just hate seeing the scares I put on her. I am going to use liquid nutrients for my next grow. Found an easy to follow guide on here. Thanks again

....After I adjusted the PH the growth changed overnight. Just hate seeing the scares I put on her. I am going to use liquid nutrients for my next grow. Found an easy to follow guide on here. Thanks again

That's great to hear! I'm glad the plants are perking up for you. Be careful with the ppm strength for autos. 500-650 is usually the max. If you are following a guide the numbers are typically for photoperiod plants which take a lot more than autos. Start at 50% strength and slowly ramp up from there. You can always add more but it's harder to fix when there is too much.

There's basically 3 big rules for coco:

1) Always fertigate - that's water + nutrients. Never water only.
2) pH 5.8-6.2
3) Always water to runoff. 20% of volume is a quick guide.

Success! Well, most of the time. Few tweaks here and there but that's the main bits.

Oh, which guide are you looking at?

That's great to hear! I'm glad the plants are perking up for you. Be careful with the ppm strength for autos. 500-650 is usually the max. If you are following a guide the numbers are typically for photoperiod plants which take a lot more than autos. Start at 50% strength and slowly ramp up from there. You can always add more but it's harder to fix when there is too much.

There's basically 3 big rules for coco:

1) Always fertigate - that's water + nutrients. Never water only.
2) pH 5.8-6.2
3) Always water to runoff. 20% of volume is a quick guide.

Success! Well, most of the time. Few tweaks here and there but that's the main bits.

Oh, which guide are you looking at?
Thank you.

Back