Lighting MarsHydro300w "old model" conversion...sort of.

HotBunz

Just a dude who likes to grow
Reaction score
So by all means nothing in this thread will change the world, alter
zthe time/space continuum nor make anyone a millionaire but it will be fun and with a little luck work and make my next grow(s) better. And lastly maybe give someone else inspiration to do the same.

What I have is a year old MarsHydro 300w "old model" LED fixture. This is the "real" "old model" with the 180w output rating. Plugged into my KIll o Watt watt meter it is using 173w of power. At just a couple of months over being a year old she has lost a couple of diodes already. With information gathered here on AFN from a number of wonderful members and other internet sources my plan was to just do a "standard" Cree COB conversion. But like many of my 'plans" things get turned around and expanded on as I dig into them. Now instead of using the Mars housing and just swapping out the diode panel for COBs I am going to use just the guts. I dug up an extra heat sink I had laying around from one of my salt water reef tank projects. It is 7"x 15.75". This version of the MarHydro 300w fixture uses 4 55v-100v .55-.6A drivers to power the diode panel. I will be using one of these drivers to power 2 Cree cxb3590 3000K 36v CB Bin COB's. I am also using the 12v1A power supply to power either a 140mm fan or 2 of the factory Mars fans though they are a little loud. I was going to draw up in CAD a quick program to drill the COB mounting holes on the heat sink but as luck has it the desk top computer that runs my SolidWorks and Mach3 that powers my CNC milling machine has took a dump....this sucks because I was needing my milling machine to do a couple other things with the heat sink. I guess I will have to work around this and still get the job done. So this is the basic layout on the top side of the heat sink and a look at the inside of the stock MarsHydro 300w.

Mars300oldmodel.jpg
basiclayout.jpg

You are going to have an awesome little light there bro.i was thinking of doing the same with my new mars 2 400w lol.was going to put 6 cbx3590 3500k cd bin cobs in it but then i had a joint and realized i am way to lazy for that shit hahahaha

I plead ignorance, what are the benefits of COB?

I was able to enjoy a day off from work today and spent my free time working on getting this light together and powered up. I must say it was just to easy to do. First I wanted to strip the black anodizing off the bottom of the heat sink. But I just didn't want to have to mix up a batch of my anodizing stripper(real nasty stuff) so I just broke out some medium grit wet sandpaper and went to work. I then layed out my COBs using Ideal COB holders, Ideal reflector adapter and the Ledil Angelina reflector. I drilled and tapped 2 holes for each COB held with 4-40 machine screws. I then sorted out where I wanted to mount the 140mm PC fan, the PC fan power supply and the LED driver. I had to drill a few other holes to mount them. I pulled out the power cord plug from the MarsHydro fixture and made an easy little mount so the power cord comes out the side of the new fixture and not out the top like on the MarsHydro unit. I never liked the top mounted cord on the factory unit. A little quick wire work and 5 minutes with the soldering iron and it was done. The COB holders are great as you don't have to do any soldering to connect the wires to them. I powered up the new fixture and confirmed everything was running as it should. I then connected it to my Kill A Watt watt meter and she is only using 42 watts of power! It is sitting here 5 feet from me running for the last 2 hours and I can't even hear the fan and there is almost ZERO heat coming from the unit. Frankly I doubt I even need the fan and will do a test run to see how if runs without the fan. I love this thing already. Now if my Mephisto Genetics seeds get here soon I can start my next grow.

COBtop.jpg
COBfixture.jpg
wattmeter.jpg

i would still probably alter my mars 2 400w if i could get the cobs in the uk because its a nono for me getting from abroad,had a few things not even turn up so i only buy from the uk

Very nice conversion! I have that same light, a pair actually. I have some CXA 2530 chips I want to install. run 6 and use 3 drivers 108 watts at three times the PPFD! I'll use the stock heatsink with better fans.

So by all means nothing in this thread will change the world, alter
zthe time/space continuum nor make anyone a millionaire but it will be fun and with a little luck work and make my next grow(s) better. And lastly maybe give someone else inspiration to do the same.

What I have is a year old MarsHydro 300w "old model" LED fixture. This is the "real" "old model" with the 180w output rating. Plugged into my KIll o Watt watt meter it is using 173w of power. At just a couple of months over being a year old she has lost a couple of diodes already. With information gathered here on AFN from a number of wonderful members and other internet sources my plan was to just do a "standard" Cree COB conversion. But like many of my 'plans" things get turned around and expanded on as I dig into them. Now instead of using the Mars housing and just swapping out the diode panel for COBs I am going to use just the guts. I dug up an extra heat sink I had laying around from one of my salt water reef tank projects. It is 7"x 15.75". This version of the MarHydro 300w fixture uses 4 55v-100v .55-.6A drivers to power the diode panel. I will be using one of these drivers to power 2 Cree cxb3590 3000K 36v CB Bin COB's. I am also using the 12v1A power supply to power either a 140mm fan or 2 of the factory Mars fans though they are a little loud. I was going to draw up in CAD a quick program to drill the COB mounting holes on the heat sink but as luck has it the desk top computer that runs my SolidWorks and Mach3 that powers my CNC milling machine has took a dump....this sucks because I was needing my milling machine to do a couple other things with the heat sink. I guess I will have to work around this and still get the job done. So this is the basic layout on the top side of the heat sink and a look at the inside of the stock MarsHydro 300w.

View attachment 554124 View attachment 554125

Very nice conversion! I have that same light, a pair actually. I have some CXA 2530 chips I want to install. run 6 and use 3 drivers 108 watts at three times the PPFD! I'll use the stock heatsink with better fans.[/QUOT

@pop22 Thank you! I have changed from the stock MarsHydro driver and have been using a Meanwell HLG-185H-1400B. So she is running right at 100w at the wall now. Plus I have room on this driver for 2 more 36v cxb3590's. Good luck with your build.

Thanks a ton for posting this bunz. I have searched all over the net for drivers for specific cobs but seeing the Mars has 4 55-100v drivers in it I may pick one up. Most eBay drivers only list the wattage and not the voltage. But the Mars 300's are plentiful and at only $80 it's 20 per driver. Ohhhh just thought 2 3590's in the Mars and I can still take out 3 drivers would be the best bang.

Thanks a ton for posting this bunz. I have searched all over the net for drivers for specific cobs but seeing the Mars has 4 55-100v drivers in it I may pick one up. Most eBay drivers only list the wattage and not the voltage. But the Mars 300's are plentiful and at only $80 it's 20 per driver. Ohhhh just thought 2 3590's in the Mars and I can still take out 3 drivers would be the best bang.

Keep in mind I only ran this with the Mars drivers for a very short time. The Mars drivers are only 600ma!!! So they drive the Cree's very very soft. To the tune of only 48w for the fixture. I have since replaced the Mars drvier with a Meanwell HLG-185H-1400B and run it wide open for a real at the wall 100w fixture.

Back