Making the best out of a bad situation

Reaction score
Being a resident of New England, I’m blessed here with ultra humid drying/curing weather in the summer months. I have to run a large dehumidifier to keep things in the proper range.Then, as soon as it gets cold outside and the heat gets turned on , our house gets super dry. I checked a couple of potential hanging/ drying locations with my little thermometer /hygrometer and this week with the clear skies and cold nights my humidity is lucky to get up to about 40%. That’s WITH a humidifier running. It’s about as good as I can hope for with the outside weather . I usually dry my harvest inside the grow tent where I can control the climate a little better. But this time I have other plants that are not quite done yet so I can’t dry in the tent. Towards the end of the week into next week the forecast says there is some unsettled weather heading our way. Rainy, cloudy which is what I need to get the humidity level more where it Should be. I like to dry at about 50 -55% So I’m going to wait till later in the week when it gets rainy/overcast. If the weather stays with the forecast I should be able to get to my target humidity. But if I can only get to around 40% give or take should I set up in the basement where it’s cooler ? (Like low 60s) or keep the temps up in the upstairs part of the house? Will cooler temperatures help to slow down the drying process, even with a not ideal lower humidity? Also, I have a cool mist humidifier and a warm mist one. Which one is likely to give me a better result? I’m a bit nervous. Don’t want to wreck my harvest. I have some great looking plants don’t want them to dry out in 3 days and taste like hay

Maybe you should try a different tester for the humidity level . or a different humidifier but i would only use room temp no warm/cool mist

Being a resident of New England, I’m blessed here with ultra humid drying/curing weather in the summer months. I have to run a large dehumidifier to keep things in the proper range.Then, as soon as it gets cold outside and the heat gets turned on , our house gets super dry. I checked a couple of potential hanging/ drying locations with my little thermometer /hygrometer and this week with the clear skies and cold nights my humidity is lucky to get up to about 40%. That’s WITH a humidifier running. It’s about as good as I can hope for with the outside weather . I usually dry my harvest inside the grow tent where I can control the climate a little better. But this time I have other plants that are not quite done yet so I can’t dry in the tent. Towards the end of the week into next week the forecast says there is some unsettled weather heading our way. Rainy, cloudy which is what I need to get the humidity level more where it Should be. I like to dry at about 50 -55% So I’m going to wait till later in the week when it gets rainy/overcast. If the weather stays with the forecast I should be able to get to my target humidity. But if I can only get to around 40% give or take should I set up in the basement where it’s cooler ? (Like low 60s) or keep the temps up in the upstairs part of the house? Will cooler temperatures help to slow down the drying process, even with a not ideal lower humidity? Also, I have a cool mist humidifier and a warm mist one. Which one is likely to give me a better result? I’m a bit nervous. Don’t want to wreck my harvest. I have some great looking plants don’t want them to dry out in 3 days and taste like hay
With drying, cool is what you want. It will evaporate your water slower, which will slow down your dry time. You should be ok with lower humidity as long as your temps stay down.

I hang my trimmed branches inside a cardboard appliance box ducted to the tent intake. RH in the box can be adjusted by altering the flow to the tent with a baffle or the like. Works a treat, and the tent filter takes care of smell. I put a computer fan in the bottom of the box to stir up the air gently.

Good luck with it, :pighug:

I hang my trimmed branches inside a cardboard appliance box ducted to the tent intake. RH in the box can be adjusted by altering the flow to the tent with a baffle or the like. Works a treat, and the tent filter takes care of smell. I put a computer fan in the bottom of the box to stir up the air gently.

Good luck with it, :pighug:

that’s pretty cool, seems like a lot of air flow though.

imo, higher humidity higher air flow, lower humidity lower airflow. Other than that and even with that, I don’t put much thought into it. Hang whole plant or cut branches off if to bushy. All trimming after dried. And just to get an idea of who’s opinion this is, I trim by hand, no scissors or anything.

Reactions: AMG
that’s pretty cool, seems like a lot of air flow though.

imo, higher humidity higher air flow, lower humidity lower airflow. Other than that and even with that, I don’t put much thought into it. Hang whole plant or cut branches off if to bushy. All trimming after dried. And just to get an idea of who’s opinion this is, I trim by hand, no scissors or anything.
The amount if air flow can be reduced to zero if that it what it takes. You don't have to get all the air for your tent from the box, just enough to keep the humidity in the box down to the level that you want. When I set mine up, I adjust the amount of air being pulled through the box by changing the overlap between the duct and the intake hole in the growdrobe. With more overlap, the growdrobe gets less of its air supply from the box, and RH in the box goes down. With less overlap, the growdrobe pulls most of it air from the lung room and not much from the box, increasing the RH in the box. Nothing changes particularly quickly, so minor adjustments a couple times a day keeps both the growdrobe and dry box sorted. My lung room is usually drier than I want to dry at, so the challenge for me is to get the RH in the box high enough. If the lung room itself was too high in RH, this setup would not work as well.

Clear as mud? :pighug:

Back