Live Stoners Live Stoner Smoking!!! BBQ & Live Fire Chitchat

I threw my last gas grill out, I ruined it trying to put charcoal in it. LMAO
Been there done that brother. When I was younger, I would gut roadside gas grills to use with coals...before I bought my first Kettle. Put a basket in....drill some airholes...good to go till the coals eventually eat their way out the bottom. Then out by the curb it goes and the circle of life goes on.

There called KAAHBS Joe

Been there done that brother. When I was younger, I would gut roadside gas grills to use with coals...before I bought my first Kettle. Put a basket in....drill some airholes...good to go till the coals eventually eat their way out the bottom. Then out by the curb it goes and the circle of life goes on.

There called KAAHBS Joe
Hey man got your PM Im here on thread

Wow....I've never seen anything like that. Keep in mind that there is two distinctively different kinds of smokers:. Cold smoke and Hot smoke. Don't quote me here, as I am still in my rookie training with about 40-50 smokes under my belt....but I think that might be a cold smoker. Think Alaska smoked salmon from the store. It's fully cooked, but looks almost raw, and looks nothing like traditional smoked meats that are hot smoked like RyBZ and Pulled/Chopped Pork and Briskets. I believe the target temps for cold smoke are in the 175° area...I've seen commercial could let smokers that look almost like a commercial pizza proofer box. A stainless box the size of a fridge with an electric heating element....the way they make that smoked salmon u see in the store. I smoked some fresh caught by us great lakes salmon and rainbow trout with Hickory at 225° or so and it looked and tasted nothing like cold smoked salmon. It was more like super tender salmon jerky with tons of flavor. Quite good indeed. Just by looking at the setup in the pic (which is gorgeous by the way) I don't think it is meant to get over 180°. I bet that pic is from Alaska where everyone cold smokes salmon over green Alder wood....to survive the winter. Those guys live on Pacific Salmon. Just a little heads up before u go out and start buying stuff to whip it up, lol. I have seen a bunch of homemade 35 and 55 gal drum smokers in backyards, especially in the ghetto, while we are doing tree work. You see all kinds of stuff up there wandering around back lot lines. The PBC (Pit Barrel Cooker[emoji769]) is made from a brand new drum....but is run vertical, and uses hooks to hang RyBZ vertically. Solid 5 star reviews and it's only about 2 bills. Check it out for a killer affordable hot smoker that's made in the states by metal workers.

There called KAAHBS Joe

I think if you built it right, you might be able to go either way. Have a wood stove off to the side like in the pic for doing cold smoke. And then setup the cinderblock base under the main part of the "smokehouse" to let you also put a fire directly under if you wanted to do higher temp stuff. I think most are setup for one or the other, though, so may be some reason I'm not seeing why both together doesn't work right. Cold smoking lots of salmon and sausage has it's appeal, though. :baked:

I don't think I'm a cool smoke guy.....but then again, I do love a nice country ham and bacon, which I believe are cold smoked...if it was me doing it though, I would rather do some regular smoked pork belly or get an uncured, unsmoked ham and do that. I've come to find that I like surface area and proper bark. If I did have a whole ham, I think I would make it into smaller pieces and see where that goes. I've had decent smoked pork (pulled pork) from around town, but it's never barky or smoky enough to be truly "WOW...in love", like I have been the 15 times or so we did it. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not the only one either, as the dozen or so folks who have tried our Cherry smoked chopped pork were in unanimous agreement that it's on a total different level. Famous Dave's was without a doubt the closest, AND they sold it to go BY THE POUND!! We would grab a couple pounds of that, along with some fresh potato rolls and make killer chopped pork sammies with a bare minimum of work. That was actually what inspired me to try smaller cuts. I was a little nervous the first time, like why is nobody else doing it like this?? But that was COMPLETELY gone when I saw it and had the bones pop right out clean and white. Next level. More like a rib sammich with some flavor and bark. Much less material for the smoke to penetrate as well as knocking the cooking time in half. A win/win by every definition of the word.

There called KAAHBS Joe

All this talk has reminded me of some of the gadgets folks over on the old pellet grill forums used to chat about. For example, if someone did want to play around with cold smoking a little in their existing gas or charcoal or whatever grill there are devices that can do so. From what I remember they were kind of mixed reviews/results. Not going to get as much smoke as you will with a wood fire going in a side fire box on a real smoker setup.... but could play around with cold smoking some cheese or something similar and safe to try it out some. Range from bolt on the side canister looking "smoke generators" to simple tubes or mazes you fill with pellets and then start smoldering.

a-maze-n-pellet-smoker-review-13.jpg

...and that's EXACTLY why I created this overdue thread. Awesome tip. I have never seen anything like that for turning a normal smoker into a smoke generator. Like I stated....I'm more of a typical smoke guy. I smoke meats and herbs. I like heat AND smoke. Cold smoke food (like Morimoto from Iron Chef) and modern new fangled low heat vaping is not for me. I like coughing and tasting smoke whether it's pork or Sour Stomper. Call me old fashioned....I do love me some bubble though.

There called KAAHBS Joe

Doing them Button Ribs aka Applebee's Riblets!! Just put em in at 260° and then they get a nice indirect run on the big kettle for a couple hours after the sun goes down.

Say hello to Felix...the official mascot of the Live Fire & BBQ thread. We call him Bucky too. And Bucka. And Monster. And sometimes Shithead.
c0e4631fcecb60700dd14923cd52d13d.jpg
f508913f745e66f91665d13221b9bb02.jpg
c45962a6b94ddb0b7da6bbd7e4ca63b8.jpg

There called KAAHBS Joe

Well I didn't get around to ever posting in the live eats section, for whatever reason... But this is more my speed! Last night a growmie and I cooked up grass fed T-bone, some old english pork sausages and a kilo of smokey spiced wings and drumsticks. Washed it down with a handfull of Westies a weed cookie, and four slices of weed brownie once home!

The bbq is a shop bought charcoal cooker that came with a small electric rotisserie attachment but the wear and tear has warped all the metal so the circle of life is in motion haha V2 is coming up soon, a nice little keg job the growmies finishing up and is proud as punch about.
7d0f0256880eb8a474a4d743a3296f9c.jpg
f656952acbd116039a360516deb377ba.jpg
9c606c5f8e938a13cd48f7addf3dedee.jpg

Back