Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Buds..:smoker:..sharing one..literally the only one.

Yapping in here last night meant I got no rolling done...:doh:..so I've got to start now..I'm cussing..:dammit:

Thank you and yes, I'm in the US. A couple of us are snarky too!

Happy Mothers day...:watering:

UK-ers have a very sarcastic sense of humour..but I have to be careful in the staffroom coz the US-ers Think I'm Seriously Evil to hubby..:crying:..

Ripper....:coffee:..you didn't Ask what the job was did you...you just wanted the badge..didn't you...?...:headbang:

Britons want cannabis to be legalised – change is inevitable, says ex-minister
Lib Dem’s Norman Lamb urges MPs to pass the bill to create a regulated market for the drug

Thousands of campaigners attended a rally in Hyde Park in London in April to demand legalisation of cannabis.

Parliament will be failing in its duty to reflect the will of the people if it continues to resist calls to introduce a regulated cannabis market, a former coalition minister has warned.

A 10-minute rule bill proposing the introduction of a legal cannabis market in the UK, something that would constitute the biggest shakeup of the drugs laws in the past half-century, will end its passage through the Commons on Friday. It was tabled by Norman Lamb, the Liberal Democrats’ health spokesman, and supported by MPs from all parties, as well as experts including a serving chief constable.

Despite failing in his attempt to steer a similar bill through parliament when he was a coalition health minister, Lamb said it had achieved its aim, by helping frame the debate around the UK’s drugs laws. “Change will happen, it’s just inevitable,” Lamb told the Observer. “We will come back in years to come and see this was the start of the change.”

He drew comparisons with public support for an overhaul of the euthanasia laws. “This is an issue like assisted dying, where parliament is a long way behind the public. In an age when there is a lot of anger out there and a great sense that the establishment is remote from how people feel, these are two great liberal issues where there is growing public opinion in favour of change. I think it reinforces the view that parliament is unrepresentative of so many people in our country.”

Lamb’s bill, co-sponsored by Lib Dems including Tim Farron and Nick Clegg, Green MP Caroline Lucas, Labour’s Paul Flynn and Conservatives Michael Fabricant, Crispin Blunt and Peter Lilley, was shaped by a report from an independent panel of experts. These included Mike Barton, chief constable of Durham police, the retired chief constable of Cambridgeshire, Tom Lloyd, andProfessor David Nutt, former chair of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs.

Under its proposals, cannabis producers would be licensed and their products sold in plain packaging. There would be mandatory provision of health advice to consumers at the point of sale and controls on the drug’s potency. It is estimated that a regulated market could raise up to £1bn a year in tax.

“There are some people who say because we are uncertain we shouldn’t act,” Lamb said. “I say because we are uncertain we should act. People start with a fear of substances that can cause harm. The instinctive reaction is to ban it until you see all the unintended consequences of that – like prohibition of alcohol in the US.”

Lamb said he had received only five letters opposing his bill from his constituents in Norfolk. He said it was striking that the bill had won support in the liberal press and had not been savaged by rightwing newspapers, proof that public opinion, at home and abroad, was shifting.

Opinion polls suggest the majority of the UK public back a regulated cannabis market. In Canada, the Liberal government was elected on a manifesto commitment to legalise cannabis. Several US states and a number of South American countries now either allow the cultivation of cannabis for personal use or are taking steps to allow its sale through pharmacies.

Further calls for reform will come next week when Barton, Kenny MacAskill, the former Scottish justice secretary, and Baroness Meacher, chair of the all-party parliamentary group on drug policy reform, will be among the politicians and experts who will attend a conference hosted by the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies (CCJS) which will hear from João Goulão, one of the architects ofPortugal’s health-led approach to drugs policy. Many experts believe the UK could learn from Portugal’s experiences.

‘‘More and more people recognise that the UK’s drug control regime has been a public health disaster that has unnecessarily criminalised countless people,” said Richard Garside, director of the CCJS. “Portugal’s health-based approach to drug regulation and regulated cannabis markets in several US states offer examples of how drugs might be regulated differently. Regardless of the fortunes of the cannabis bill, there is a growing sense that drug-taking needs to be treated as a health and education, not criminal justice, challenge.”

Morning arty..:bighug:...

Hey folks, I usually can't keep up with this amazing thread but it's a "rainy day" and I was able to peruse a bit. I noticed some people are interested in hobby level distilling. It's something I have a fair amount of experience with. I felt like I should make sure folks get good info if they were actually going to get into it. There's a lot of mis-information and pure bull out there. I've been a member of a distilling forum for more than 10 years that is the best out there imho.It's clean and its a decent bunch there, willing to help. Not sure if I can link to it here but if anyone is interested I'd like to help people get going in the right direction.

Give it a Go Jraven...:toke:

Thanks for the rep Mossy :bighug:
upside down hug.gif
:pass:

Whaaat...? UK-ers be sarcastic .....noooo....not a bit of it..much. pmsl:crying:

I bet hubby has a wonderful life (as long as does what he is told) :naughtystep::kissass:did you see the food Mossy made yesterday, one lucky chap..nom!

He also gets to play golf with his buddies
smileys-golf-394576.gif
Whilst the boss chills and has a float in the tub :soak:.

Finally his good lady breeds and grows some fine meds, I'd be happy with that, wouldn't you?

Only down side is your arse might get a little singed from time to time :dragon7:but what do you expect when your living with a dragon?

Morning Mossy :bighug:

I had the kettle on so made a cuppa and a smoke
sipping-tea.gif
:pass: may as well start the day as we mean to go on.

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-8_9-17-33.png
    upload_2016-5-8_9-17-33.png
    2 KB · Views: 40
Police probe 'Willy Wonka-style cannabis chocolate fountain party' after revellers descended on nightclub
Around 200 party-goers paid £25 for a ticket and travelled from across the country to attend the Sunday Sessions Vol 2.0 on Easter Sunday
  • Around 200 party-goers paid £25 for a ticket and travelled from across the country to attend the Sunday Sessions Vol 2.0 on Easter Sunday
    birmingham-cannabis-club.jpg
Police have launched an investigation after an alleged 'chocolate cannabis party' was held at a Birmingham nightclub
Police have launched an investigation after droves of revellers descended on a nightclub to allegedly drink from a Willy Wonka-style chocolate fountain laced withcannabis .

Party-goers paid £25 for a ticket and travelled from across the country to attend the Sunday Sessions Vol 2.0 in Birmingham on Easter Sunday.

Inside guests allegedly tucked into an array of nibbles, including strawberries, bananas and grapes, which they could dip into the chocolate and mango-flavoured fountains, the Birmingham Mail reports.

The 200 ticketholders also alleged to have devoured a cannabis cake complete with icing sugar at the event, which was reportedly hosted by Birmingham City Cannabis Club, at a club in Digbeth.

birmingham-cannabis-club.jpg

Birmingham City Cannabis Club Facebook page, which allegedly hosted the event

Inspector Will O’Connor, from Birmingham Police, said an investigation into the event had now been launched.

birmingham-cannabis-club-2.jpg

Revellers were allegedly invited to drink from the cannabis-laced chocolate fountain

The event is reported to have been sponsored by Medi Monkey, a brand of cannabis products.

The products – which come in colourful packaging with a Union Jack – include bottled cannabis syrup, cannabis chocolate and concentrated cannabis.

Though not openly sold on the internet, the products appear to have been distributed among cannabis activists in Britain.

The club involved and the Birmingham City Cannabis Club were unavailable for comment.

OG Kush is now a star in the Galaxy.

A Portland biotechnology company has launched a 3-D map that charts the genetic evolution of cannabis genomes, protecting strains like OG Kush from future patent attempts by big agricultural companies such as Monsanto.

The startup, Phylos Bioscience, and its chief scientific officer Mowgli Holmes have been talking about mapping weed genes for years. But Phylos finally launched its guide—called the Galaxy—on Wednesday.

With the Galaxy, users can view the hereditary sequence of each plant by following lines that connect strains to their genetic parent or offspring. Similar plants are located close to each other, while color groups the plants into “tribes” based on their region.

Preparations for this project have stretched over two years, as Phylos has worked to sample plants, sequence their DNA and develop the software that would allow the Galaxy to function.

“Sample collection was a huge part of this process,” says Carolyn White, Sales and Marketing Manager at Phylos Bioscience. “One side was a collaboration with growers, dispensaries and labs to collect modern samples, and the other a process of hunting down ancient landrace strains from all over the world.”

The strain results outlined in the 3-D data analysis have been individually sequenced, separating this guide from cannabis catalog websites such as Leafly, Weedmaps and Verdabase.

Holmes first told WW about his cannabis genome research in January 2015.

At WW’s TechFestNW conference last year, Holmes took the stage to expound on how genome research allows us to understand the history of interbred cannabis plants.

“[Cannabis] is being pushed to a point in the evolutionary landscape that it never would’ve gotten on its own,” Holmes said to the crowd.

But the data collection will also help with patent protection, a legal anxiety that has been leeching onto growers since the first cannabis plant was patented in August 2015.

Marijuana is subject to the same statutes as any other agricultural patents—simply, that the genome must be characteristically different than the naturally occurring counterpart.

Marijuana growers are worried about protecting intellectual property rights, especially from the patent techniques of seed-trade powerhouse Monsanto.

Monsanto has responded to this suspicion on their website, chalking their involvement in the production of GMO marijuana up to “an Internet rumor.”

(Clarification, 10 am Monday, April 25: Monsanto spokeswoman Charla Lord says the company isn’t getting in the marijuana business. “Monsanto has not, is not and has no plans for working on cultivating cannabis,” she tells WW.)

But White expects Monsanto and similar companies to seek weed patents.

“We think Big Pharma and Big Ag will be the primary audience after patents, and it will likely require writing new DNA in to the plant,” White tells WW. “None of the folks at Phylos really see patenting as a viable tool for the average breeder.”

Holmes and Phylos want to push more information on that DNA into the public domain.

“You can’t patent anything that’s been in the public domain longer than a year,” White explains.

Within the next several months, Phylos will launch their commercial sequencing product, allowing any grower, consumer, or curious individual to send in a sample and let Holmes and his staff research it. The sample will receive a placement on the Galaxy, as well as special access and metadata to further understand that strain.

“We set out to bring more knowledge and transparency to the industry and that’s still what we’re doing,” says White.

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back