Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
So @Lil Dab and @Mañ'O'Green , can I do a whole house water softener and put an ro system in for say the kitchen sink? No way I could afford ro for the whole place :yoinks:

Yes, when you use a salt softner the Ca ions and other metals are replaced by sodium ions (salt). Sodium ions are much larger in comparison and are easily filtered out by the RO membrane. This makes the membranes last much longer.

@RosaB I've used both these units for the plants the larger unit is my current setup... My whole house softener is old it was installed in the house before we bought it :shrug:

View attachment 1557924
View attachment 1557927
It is not just the purchase price you want to look at. If you buy a unit that does not have Standardized cartridges you are stuck with OEM which can be costly compared to standard sizes you can buy everywhere. Also what is the expected service life - how many gallons? Waiting an hour for 2 gallons is a long time unless you plan ahead :pop:. Be sure to PH your RO water as it will become acidic when exposed to air.

Holy crap those have come down a LOT! That is AWESOME!

FOR ANYONE WHO DOESNT KNOW... RO WATER IS THE BEST WATER - DIRECTLY NEXT TO RAINWATER FOR NUTRIENTS AND FOLIAR FEEDS AND (GOD FORBID) PESTICIDES TOO. MOST FOLIARS AND PESTICIDES CAN BE REDUCED TO AS LITTLE AS 15% OF WHAT IS RECOMMENDED ON THE BOTTLE IF YOU CAN REMOVE ALL CARBONATES AND BICROBONATES WHICH REVERSE OSMOSIS IS VERY GOOD AT. WHAT I MEAN IS THIS IS THE BEST INVESTMENT YOU CAN MAKE IN PLANT HEALTH! AND I'M SORRY I'M YELLING BUT THIS IS SO IMPORTANT!

Steps off soapbox and quietly slips off to the corner. :smokeit:

rainwater for the win! :yay: it'z all my plantz get, exclusively :headbang: ppp

Yes, when you use a salt softner the Ca ions and other metals are replaced by sodium ions (salt). Sodium ions are much larger in comparison and are easily filtered out by the RO membrane. This makes the membranes last much longer.

It is not just the purchase price you want to look at. If you buy a unit that does not have Standardized cartridges you are stuck with OEM which can be costly compared to standard sizes you can buy everywhere. Also what is the expected service life - how many gallons? Waiting an hour for 2 gallons is a long time unless you plan ahead :pop:. Be sure to PH your RO water as it will become acidic when exposed to air.
I wonder if I could put it on a timer? It sounds like at the very least I will need a barrel and a pump.:pass:

Yup that's kind of why I went with the 100GPD for the long run but I still bought OEM filters being it is only about every 6-12 months when I change... I do plan ahead I have a trash can with a float valve for my RO then treat with what i want depending the plant... yes I will even be phing my RO water when i feed it even though it becomes difficult unless using a large amount.. The last time I ph RO water I had to use ph down still and had to dilute one drop of ph down in one gallon then use that to ph the bucket of water I was testing.. I hear what your saying but anytime I check my RO water it is around ph 7 or higher still :shrug::pop:

squirrel.gif
Ooops..he dropped his light sabre......... :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back