Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between spaghetti gravy and spaghetti sauce?

NY Times food editor Craig Claiborne wrote in 1979 that there was no difference, but the word sauce had a “more sophisticated ring to it.” Some people think only New Yorkers or pre-WWII immigrants say gravy and that more recent immigrants say sauce. Both camps insist only “real” Italians say the word they use.May 17, 2020

My personal categorization between sauce and gravy is If it has a thickening agent added - corn starch, roux , etc. it is a gravy, if it is simply reduced by heat it is a sauce.
In my family it's gravy or "red sauce". It's gravy if it's slow cooked with various meats in it. Can be meatballs, sausage links, pork chops, chicken or whatever combination. Generally whatever is leftover or needs to be cooked. That'll simmer in a pot all day and you can just pick something out whenever you walk by and the rest is for dinner. Just watch out for the bones. Red sauce can be cooked fast or slow or incorporate bones but doesn't have the big chunks of meat in it. I've got no problem with sugar in my sauce, it depends on how acidic the tomatoes are :glutton:

Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner lol.
That's usually the big argument around here.
It's a riot just bring it up in a bar/pub step back.and watch the fireworks it's too funny

u won't be disappointed with linda....especially with their own in-house strainz, which currently range from $1.62 - $4.31 per bean, depending on strain, with a nice variety of either auto or photo :headbang: ppp
Is it better to use PayPal?
I tried a place called seedman with a credit card and my bank went ballistic and threatened to lock my card. :yoinks:

It's a lame attempt at a joke..
Antoine Lavoisier was a French chemist famous for..
Lavoisier's Law of Conservation of Mass.....

With the development of more precise ideas on elements, compounds and mixtures, scientists began to investigate how and why substances react. French chemist A. Lavoisier laid the foundation to the scientific investigation of matter by describing that substances react by following certain laws. These laws are called the laws of chemical combination. These eventually formed the basis of Dalton's Atomic Theory of Matter.

Law of Conservation of Mass
According to this law, during any physical or chemical change, the total mass of the products remains equal to the total mass of the reactants.

View attachment 1555494

The law of conservation of mass is also known as the "law of indestructibility of matter."
The joke was you meant like chalk dust I think
Where as I alluded to the chemical composition of chalk almost pure CaCO3
I know it's a lame joke lol. I warned everyone I'm a 15 year old brain trapped in a 60 year old body
Hahaha

Last edited:
Is it better to use PayPal?
I tried a place called seedman with a credit card and my bank went ballistic and threatened to lock my card. :yoinks:
I had to call my bank in advance to clear an over seas transaction with Herbie's b4 I could complete the transaction (banks are wary of overseas transactions I think they worry your hacked)

After that (like 3 days later) it could be pure coincidence but my card was hacked and they were making purchases with it.
Since then I've only been buying stuff in the US.
I feel pay pal is safer by the nature of how it works. I pay them, they pay the other people

True, and even more so in 70's. :pighug:
Yup, lived through the 70's too, and barely. I was old enough to know better and earned enough by that time to really find myself in interesting situations. . .

What's the difference between spaghetti gravy and spaghetti sauce?

NY Times food editor Craig Claiborne wrote in 1979 that there was no difference, but the word sauce had a “more sophisticated ring to it.” Some people think only New Yorkers or pre-WWII immigrants say gravy and that more recent immigrants say sauce. Both camps insist only “real” Italians say the word they use.May 17, 2020

My personal categorization between sauce and gravy is If it has a thickening agent added - corn starch, roux , etc. it is a gravy, if it is simply reduced by heat it is a sauce.
This just in. Long lost mamma Soprano says "don't worry about it".

never heard that one always put a little sugar in pasta sauce otherwise I get wicked heartburn.. my dad did it cause his grand father always did it he was straight from Sicily:shrug::pass:
My grandfather would never eat sauce after like 4 pm cause if the heartburn. He even put 2 bricks (typical mason) under each foot of the headboard so he was inclined as he slept he said it helped.
Now as a kid I used to tease him about in a good natured way. We liked ribbing each other lol
Now I get the same thing and somewhere he's laughing at me I know it

Last edited:
@RosaB and @Kirka88 - I've lost track of who was up to what so....

For online purchases like seeds, I prefer to put a nice layer of distance between myself, the vendor, and my actual bank/cards.

I highly recommend the prepaid Visa gift cards from Target. Pay cash and they are completely disconnected from your actual finances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back