Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats up stoners? :smokeout:
I know it's different for different cultivars, but what time and temp do yall typically use for pressing flower? Still trying to find the sweet spot of quality and yield.

Last edited:
I know it's different for different cultivars, but what time and temp do yall typically use for pressing flower? Still trying to find the sweet spit of quality and yield.
500 for 12min ;) :pighug:

1676344176469.gif

I know it's different for different cultivars, but what time and temp do yall typically use for pressing flower? Still trying to find the sweet spit of quality and yield.
210f for 4-5 min that includes 1min warm up

@Hog MaGundy see the edit this is what i gave frank when he started..
Mañ'O'Green said:
Squish squish I did my first press with my new 6 ton DIY rosin press and it works well. Not so much the pressor. I need to learn how to handle this sticky goo. Can you say Keystone Cops....... It stuck to my fingers then it stuck to everything I touched. I thought it was not supposed to stick to silicone - I assure you it does. I am definitely on the uphill side of this learning curve.

First observations: I need to put a grip on the jack handle the diameter is too small and made my hand sore. The press needs about 15 minutes to stabilize the temperature of the plates after you turn it on. I need to learn how to fold the parchment and load the plates to best contain the rosin.

I ran 14 - 1g test presses of two strains at various temps and times. This is the data from that:

View attachment 802130

I got about 17% return average not counting what I lost to poor handling techniques.

View attachment 802131

All in all I am very happy with this press.
:hula::hula::hula:
Mañ'O'Green said:
I added a knob to the release valve and a padded grip to the pump handle.
View attachment 804968

I am learning how to handle the rosin. It is not as easy as it sounds. Some strains do pick up easily others are more oily-sticky. They need to be worked nearly frozen. I experimented using dry ice in various ways. The most effective was to freeze the end of the tool on the dry ice and work with really cold rosin. sometimes freezing it by placing the parchment on the dry ice momentarily. This really worked well with the oily rosins but dry ice is expensive and inconvenient. A frozen cookie sheet works but only for a few minutes before it warms too much. So next I will be experimenting with some refreezable ice packs I have molded while thawed into a 6" round aluminum cake pan. I will let you know how that works out.

As to the pressing of the rosin: I have tried 6 strains at various temperatures and volumes of bud. The individual strains have almost the same consistency over the range of temperatures from 180°F to 220°F so if they are going to be oily they will be oily regardless of the press temp. I want the best flavors I can get so I will be using 180 - 190 most of the time. The difference in yield to press at the lower temperature is about 5% so far. This may change with other variables I am still working with. 4g in the 2x3 prepress had very poor yields whereas 1.5g in the 1 inch square prepress had very good yields. I just got the metal to make a 1.25" x 1.75" puck using 3g of bud. I am hoping this will be the magic combination. I still have some filing and sanding before I can test it out.

My vape mix which get you floatin :LOLStoned: is 50 drops of EJmix to 1g of rosin yields about 2.5 ml liquid. This is still thicker than syrup but flows enough for the cartomizer. I have ordered some different cartridges that are wickless with ceramic heaters and batteries with a preheat mode that are purported to work better with better flavor - I will let you know the results. They are coming from Florida so they could be delayed?
Frank the Dank said:
I was reading about a guy last night that likes 220…:shrug:
InkAddict$ said:
I still don't understand the rosin bags...seems it just get stuck in them....or I'm doing something wrong...I only use the paper....I did 210 and 215 and couldn't tell a difference....it's been a min...sometimes I feel like I'm waisting to much bud for the little amount I get....
Dale's Proper Bud said:
Let me look around I’ll see what I can find hopefully @Mañ'O'Green will chime in later when he gets on…

@InkAddict$ If your getting 10-20% yield your doing fine from what I’ve heard anything over 20% is really good
Mañ'O'Green said:
Yes there is definitely a difference in the flavor. I have pressed samples every 3°C (my PIDs are only Centigrade) from 72C/162F to 99C/210F. Same strain, yield is best ~ 210F but flavor leans a little to the harsh/burnt, not strong, but there. Flavor is cleaner - more strain dependent @ 180 - 185 without giving up too much in yield. These are my observations so far. Testing is a problem well sorta because i just jet too wasted and have to wait until the next day to continue the test :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am getting different tanks because some of the harsh flavors might be coming from the coil contact.
Mañ'O'Green said:
Just a quick update. I have been doing quite a bit of pressing using all sorts of settings. Full flavor comes between 165° - 185°F but it is at a cost of about 10% to 20% yield compared to pressing at 210°F. I have tried replacing the lost terpenes on high heat pressings with non-cannabis strain specific terpenes on the green crack. I does not really fix the high heat 210°F rosin. It does not seem to add much to the low heat rosin and it does not thin it well unless it is low heat low pressure rosin which really lowers yield. I would like to find a natural thinner that is not coconut oil, PG, VG or PEG etc. I am not having any luck with that. Strains that don't yield well don't yield well at any temp or pressure and vice versa good yielders yield well across the board.

I am trying several vape cartridges and variable voltage batteries to find the "Magic" combination for best flavor and function of the equipment. The problem is even if I don't inhale I get really stoned fast and testing loses credibility fast.

What a terrible problem:bong:.:doc1:

Last edited:
Hey guys, got a question about drying.

What do I do if my stems are still soft but my buds have dried out way too far? Could this be from the humidity being too low in my drying space? I jarred what I had hanging and after 12 hours the rh in the jar hasnt climbed above 41%

What do I do if my stems are still soft but my buds have dried out way too far? Could this be from the humidity being too low in my drying space? I jarred what I had hanging and after 12 hours the rh in the jar hasnt climbed above 41%
Too low RH. Should be around 50-60.

Buds got dried out too quickly. What was your RH in the dry room?

I have found if you water really close to harvest then the stems will be more moi…..i mean saturated then usual so they will take even longer to dry! Rarely do my stems snap by time bud is ready unless they are hollow or wimpy! Why i got a moisture meter! Best way to know for sure! They are worth the cost imo! :d5:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back