Light burnt seedlings

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I started my first everygrow with LED lights, and unfortunately I had my lights to close. These seedlings are now 10 days old, and but showing much signs of recovery. I'm wondering if I should just scrap them, and just start over?

Thank you.

-Problem: light burn seedlings
-Medium/grow method: 50/50 coco/perlite
-Feed and supplements used: 200 ppm of sensi grow coco a/b
-Water source:
RO
-Strain and age: mango smile and auto blue mazar 10 days
-Climate:
Day temp/rh 75/70. Night temp/rh 70/65
- Light used: 400w 301b dimmed to 200w
-Additional info:
found the issue about 4 days after sprout and moved the lights up/checked ppfd. No growth since l. That do start a lot more yellow in person vs the picture

Attachments

• IMG_20221126_050913093.jpg
    IMG_20221126_050913093.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20221126_050820488.jpg
    IMG_20221126_050820488.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20221126_050811072_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221126_050811072_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20221126_050815422.jpg
    IMG_20221126_050815422.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 83
Hello everyone,

I started my first everygrow with LED lights, and unfortunately I had my lights to close. These seedlings are now 10 days old, and but showing much signs of recovery. I'm wondering if I should just scrap them, and just start over?

Thank you.

-Problem: light burn seedlings
-Medium/grow method: 50/50 coco/perlite
-Feed and supplements used: 200 ppm of sensi grow coco a/b
-Water source:
RO
-Strain and age: mango smile and auto blue mazar 10 days
-Climate:
Day temp/rh 75/70. Night temp/rh 70/65
- Light used: 400w 301b dimmed to 200w
-Additional info:
found the issue about 4 days after sprout and moved the lights up/checked ppfd. No growth since l. That do start a lot more yellow in person vs the picture

Looking okay to me .. just a little small and behind schedule!
I'm not seeing light burn .. thay typically bleaches the buds when they're too close.

Is your pot on a cold floor? - everything else in the description looks good - I'm not sure where 200ppm puts you, but i would feed coco with a minimum EC of 0.8 - (some people disagree with me ... and i don't use coco anymore, but had success in the past)

It's usually temps that slow them down . (could be rootzone temps and not air temps)

Hope this helps
Blue ^_^
:d5:

Looking okay to me .. just a little small and behind schedule!
I'm not seeing light burn .. thay typically bleaches the buds when they're too close.

Is your pot on a cold floor? - everything else in the description looks good - I'm not sure where 200ppm puts you, but i would feed coco with a minimum EC of 0.8 - (some people disagree with me ... and i don't use coco anymore, but had success in the past)

It's usually temps that slow them down . (could be rootzone temps and not air temps)

Hope this helps
Blue ^_^
:d5:
Thank you for they reply. They are raised on a plastic grate.

I say I believe it's light burn, because when I came back, they were mostly yellow. They were receiving 700-800 ppfd. They do look a lot more yellow in real life, than in the picture.

The only reason I'm thinking of scraping it, is because I've never seen 0 growth over a 7 day period. I really don't want to pay for all this electricity and nutes and end up with a severely diminished yield. I've also never grown an autoflower, and I don't know what length of time it'll have before it flowers.

Edit Do you think the ppm would affect the growth at this point much? I believe 200ppm is .04 EC based off my pen. They haven't really even tapped into the cotyledon yet. I'll try upping the EC if nothing changes soon. So, I think I'll invest in a warning pad and thermometer for the dirt. Thanks again

Last edited:

I say I believe it's light burn, because when I came back, they were mostly yellow. They were receiving 700-800 ppfd. They do look a lot more yellow in real life, than in the picture.

The only reason I'm thinking of scraping it, is because I've never seen 0 growth over a 7 day period. I really don't want to pay for all this electricity and nutes and end up with a severely diminished yield. I've also never grown an autoflower, and I don't know what length of time it'll have before it flowers.

Edit Do you think the ppm would affect the growth at this point much? I believe 200ppm is .04 EC based off my pen. They haven't really even tapped into the cotyledon yet. I'll try upping the EC if nothing changes soon. So, I think I'll invest in a warning pad and thermometer for the dirt. Thanks again
You haven't said how big your pots are...At this stage most the growth is going into building up a root system that can sustain growth on the top later....Bigger pot, longer to establish the roots....

They look OK, don't notice any light burn or nute burn or anything detrimental so far....I'd run em....could be slow genetics, too cool for them, or a myriad of other reasons. At 10 days I'd not worry, at 20 I'd start to worry at 25 I'd start a new batch if they are still the same.

No worries - yeah, i think yellowing seedlings is usually down to either PH problems, or lack of food problems.
I'd be PHing to 5.8, with an EC of 0.8-1.0 (veg nutes) for a nice green colour!

As far as scrapping - i do believe that the first 20 days of an autos life is the most important thing to nail down. But it's always grow choice when to pull the trigger!

here's what i expect 5 day olds to look like in my setup

full

and here's the same plants at 11 days (same setup)

full

They look OK, don't notice any light burn or nute burn or anything detrimental so far....I'd run em....could be slow genetics, too cool for them, or a myriad of other reasons. At 10 days I'd not worry, at 20 I'd start to worry at 25 I'd start a new batch if they are still the same.
Sounds good. I appreciate your time and advice.

No worries - yeah, i think yellowing seedlings is usually down to either PH problems, or lack of food problems.

As far as scrapping - i do believe that the first 20 days of an autos life is the most important thing to nail down. But it's always grow choice when to pull the trigger!

full

full
Showoff... :rofl:

full

full
Those are looking great! That is what I was hoping to see. Both you and Bill.de.Cat have suggested .08EC I'll definitely boost them a bit the next watering. Thank you
Edit: is that an autopot? I've actually got the round fabric versions for this grow. I'm itching to get them in there.

Back