Outdoor Landrace Afghani 1 DNA genetics.

Nelson

R.I.P. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reaction score
I was just putting my Afghani I, seeds into jiffy pucks to hatch for the year. I put 5 seeds in. It is one of the old types that I still plant cause it grows well uo here in Southern Quebec. It doesn't have any problems. Nice shorter plant barely above the weeds so very stealthy. Yields well and makes great pot that just about every one likes. Good swat for an old type. Even turns a little purple at the end for good bag appeal. Smells just like it should like pot. No faint aromas of lobster bisque or moldy fruitcake or dead skunk or the gas tank on my old diesel pickup truck.

I realise it is one of the ones that I need to fem so I put it on the list to do so next fall. Who the hell wants to clone for sex anymore. It always is a true pain in the ass. A lot of work and a lot of time just to find a female. Fem seeds have become the way to fly. Besides I think Afghani 1 is a real keeper and I will be needing more seeds soon so I might as well make some femmed ones. I probably will grow this one as part of my permanent collection.

I was noticing on the seed packet that it says original landrace type. Now what does that mean. I have heard the term used several times but never understood what it means. Go to it guys educate me.

I was noticing on the seed packet that it says original landrace type. Now what does that mean. I have heard the term used several times but never understood what it means. Go to it guys educate me.
Pure, indigenous, original strain...

thanks Joe. Now I git more than I did yeaterday but you have to factor in what I may of forgot today. I hope it is still a positive number.

Pure, indigenous, original strain...

true landrace is wildely grown selected by mother nature only in a specific climate
when plants weren't selected by humans for diff breeding traits
i think it is pretty much impossible to have a true landrace plant w/ genetics untouched by mankind someone could have worked the seeds a thousand years ago jst because it has been outdoor grown doesn't by anymeans "pure" or "original"
but we use the term landrace to more imply it hasn't been altered by indoor growing or human selection has been kept to a minimum ie. wildely grown
long time no see nelson good to see again

Well that is a very good point you are making about not being touched by human hands. I intend through next Fall and Winter to turn the Afghani 1 into femanised seed. I guess that means good by landrace claims. Oh well it will probably be real good pot but without the pain in the ass male problems.

Where do I know you from this site or somewhere else? Pm me your answer fi ti is another site.

true landrace is wildely grown selected by mother nature only in a specific climate
when plants weren't selected by humans for diff breeding traits
i think it is pretty much impossible to have a true landrace plant w/ genetics untouched by mankind someone could have worked the seeds a thousand years ago jst because it has been outdoor grown doesn't by anymeans "pure" or "original"
but we use the term landrace to more imply it hasn't been altered by indoor growing or human selection has been kept to a minimum ie. wildely grown
long time no see nelson good to see again

Land races usually carry great genetic diversity because they have never been inbred. Every male can mate with every female, so each and every female probably has 10 seeds from each male within 200 yards. That female dies, and leaves seeds from at least 100 different males in her spot to sprout next year.

These extremely mixed offspring will be pollenated by every male within 200 yards next year, and be even more mixed. The next year, the same would happen and they would be even MORE mixed. At some point they reach a point as thoroughly mixed as possible and hold the maximum amount of genetic diversity. (if interested, read on wikipedia about Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium)

Since the landrace plants don't inbreed (or it would be very very statistically unlikely in the wild because of open pollination), no phenotypes are able to show up in the population besides the dominant phenotype. This is why afghan smells like afghan, columbia smells like columbia- they all express the dominant phenotype, no recessive phenotypes.

Compare that to inbreeding, which ONE male mates with ONE female, then ONE son mates with ONE daughter. By F2 your hashy smelling afghan throws out a small percentage of some recessive berry smelling phenotypes, which would NEVER show up in a land race population because landraces have never been inbred.

If a breeder sells landrace seeds, they have to inbreed them at some point, right? If they only start off with a handful of "landrace afghan", straight from afghanistan, at some point they run out of seeds and have to cross a male and a female again - therefore excluding all other genetic info besides those two plants, right?

To get around this, most respectable landrace preservers (be it cannabis or heirloom tomatos) OPEN POLLINATE. This would mean taking at least 10 males and 10 females, preferably more and just completely letting nature do its thing. That way, every female in the tent will have seeds from every male. When having a larger breeding population like this, it is easier to preserve diversity and not acquire recessive traits.

Land races have mostly natural selection pressures on them, with very little artificial selection. This means that they have high disease resistance and they are perfectly acclimated to their climate.

If you're interested in learning more, check out the wikipedia pages on heterozygosity and landraces.

I think that was interesting but I don't really want to pursue it any further. Twenty years ago I had a great Afghani strain called Black Tiger that was called that by the unique seeds that it had. They were black and striped like a Tiger. I lost the strain when I got ill with brain cancer and never found it again. It was great stuff, short plant, just like the Afghani 1. and turned purple very late in budding just like the Afghani 1. What you said about the Afghani having its own taste this is true for the Black Tiger and this Anghani 1. It is a great smoke and I will probably grow it until I am too old to bother anymore. I am sorry to any of you who are upset with me turning this into femmed seed but males are a pain in the ass.

Land races usually carry great genetic diversity because they have never been inbred. Every male can mate with every female, so each and every female probably has 10 seeds from each male within 200 yards. That female dies, and leaves seeds from at least 100 different males in her spot to sprout next year.

These extremely mixed offspring will be pollenated by every male within 200 yards next year, and be even more mixed. The next year, the same would happen and they would be even MORE mixed. At some point they reach a point as thoroughly mixed as possible and hold the maximum amount of genetic diversity. (if interested, read on wikipedia about Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium)

Since the landrace plants don't inbreed (or it would be very very statistically unlikely in the wild because of open pollination), no phenotypes are able to show up in the population besides the dominant phenotype. This is why afghan smells like afghan, columbia smells like columbia- they all express the dominant phenotype, no recessive phenotypes.

Compare that to inbreeding, which ONE male mates with ONE female, then ONE son mates with ONE daughter. By F2 your hashy smelling afghan throws out a small percentage of some recessive berry smelling phenotypes, which would NEVER show up in a land race population because landraces have never been inbred.

If a breeder sells landrace seeds, they have to inbreed them at some point, right? If they only start off with a handful of "landrace afghan", straight from afghanistan, at some point they run out of seeds and have to cross a male and a female again - therefore excluding all other genetic info besides those two plants, right?

To get around this, most respectable landrace preservers (be it cannabis or heirloom tomatos) OPEN POLLINATE. This would mean taking at least 10 males and 10 females, preferably more and just completely letting nature do its thing. That way, every female in the tent will have seeds from every male. When having a larger breeding population like this, it is easier to preserve diversity and not acquire recessive traits.

Land races have mostly natural selection pressures on them, with very little artificial selection. This means that they have high disease resistance and they are perfectly acclimated to their climate.

If you're interested in learning more, check out the wikipedia pages on heterozygosity and landraces.

I think that was interesting but I don't really want to pursue it any further. Twenty years ago I had a great Afghani strain called Black Tiger that was called that by the unique seeds that it had. They were black and striped like a Tiger. I lost the strain when I got ill with brain cancer and never found it again. It was great stuff, short plant, just like the Afghani 1. and turned purple very late in budding just like the Afghani 1. What you said about the Afghani having its own taste this is true for the Black Tiger and this Anghani 1. It is a great smoke and I will probably grow it until I am too old to bother anymore. I am sorry to any of you who are upset with me turning this into femmed seed but males are a pain in the ass.

Nooo nelson don't think you're doing anything bad! I just put that info out there for anyone interested. If it weren't for inbreeding, all cannabis would still taste like landraces today. When you self that plant you may come across a new plant that you decide is better in every way than the one you started with. If I were you, I would cross it with one of wiz's afghan dominant autos as well so at some point you could back cross male offspring to your afghan #1 and get 3/4 afghan #1 plants at some point in the future.

I am open to just about anything. Yea I'm willing to cross out the Afghani but I will try and keep the Fem seeds going for a while cause she is a sweet old smoke that tastes like pot used to taste like with that nice old hashy smell. I love the old girl. I do notice that Wiz has that Jem plant that is very close to it in smell. I like that one also and I am growing it in my auto tank. Maybe that one might be a candidate.

Nooo nelson don't think you're doing anything bad! I just put that info out there for anyone interested. If it weren't for inbreeding, all cannabis would still taste like landraces today. When you self that plant you may come across a new plant that you decide is better in every way than the one you started with. If I were you, I would cross it with one of wiz's afghan dominant autos as well so at some point you could back cross male offspring to your afghan #1 and get 3/4 afghan #1 plants at some point in the future.

The five Afghani 1 femmed beans I planted all popped and I have replanted them into 4 inch pots with a mix of coco and pro mix 50/50. They will be heading downstairs to my Carousel room to get bigger and then outside into the raised beds and one heading upstairs into a container for my 3rd floor balcony.

Back