Indoor Iriee Vibez grows AutoBlackberry Kush in DWC

Iriee Vibez

Just a guy with 3 plants and a cabinet...
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Gorilla Glue, BlackBerry
Hey AFN!

I figured I would go ahead and start a journal to document my Dutch Passion AutoBlackberry Kush grow, as it has already presented me with challenges I haven't had before, but ones that I am trying to overcome. More about that later...

My setup will be the same as last grow:

2X2 cabinet
Kind K300 LED (I always use for veg)
RapidLED Cobs and ChilLED Logic Puck (I use some combination of these three lights for flowering)
Active Aqua Water Chiller (set to 66 degrees)
Extraction fan and carbon filter
Bluelab Guardian PH and PPM reservoir monitor
Generic Humidifier and Dehumidifier

Nutrients:
Advanced Nutrients Hobbyist Level(3 part grow/micro/bloom, Big Bud, Overdrive,B-52, Voodoo Juice)

Strain:
Dutch Passion AutoBlackberry Kush

Okay, here is the recap so far:
I typically don't try to start a new grow in late August/Early September due to the high temps in Central California. Plus, my cabinet is in a hot as garage, where temps easily get into the 100's. However, I am in the finals for two grow battles and the start time wasn't flexible.

I started how I typically start the plants, soaking for a day, and dropping right into rapid rooters and into the reservoir. However, these were very slow to germ, taking a week to break ground. When they did, they just couldn't handle the temps in the cabinet and they wilted, falling over their tiny little stems.

I thought that was that, and I would have to start over, but decided to take them from the cabinet, bring them inside and place in a window sill with great sunlight. To my surprise they started to grow the second set of leaves. I have just put them back in the reservoir at Day 5.

They are growing okay, but each has a visible weak point in the stem that I am hoping corrects itself and doesn't stunt the plants too much. The first plant, BK1, is tall and lanky, so I had to put in some extra clay pebbles to build it up a bit.

BK1

BK Day 5 - 2.jpg

Take a look under the pebbles and you will see the source of my concern.

BK1 Day 5  - 1 (2).jpg

The root seems to be above the rapid rooter plug. I am hoping that it becomes a stem and the little kink is worked out over the next couple of days. We will see.

BK2

Same sort of issue, but this plant is short and smaller than the other.

BK Day 5 - 1.jpg

Under the pebbles reveal a similar situation:

BK1 Day 5  - 1 (1).jpg

Will do some more research, but I won't be comfortable until the stems thicken.

Anyway, this promises to be a good learning situation for me. I may not grow the biggest plants this time, but I am sure I will become a better grower after this one!

Let me know if you have any thoughts about my stem/root issues. Anything else I can do to help it along while still in the very early seedlings stage?

Day 7

I am still very concerned with this grow because I can still see where the stem turns into root for both plants.

BK1's roots have reached the water, so I am more hopeful that she will be okay. Maybe just a touch stunted, but I can see the stem thickening and leaves growing at a normal pace. She is still lanky, but no longer requires any additional support. I have extra clay pellets there just in case. Fingers crossed that she grows out of her stem/root issues.

9-2 - 8.jpg
9-2 - 11.jpg

BK2 is still in the red zone. Her roots are no where in sight and she is clearly stunted by her rough start. I am hand watering her and trying to get her going, but it doesn't look great for her to recover normally. I plan to grow her out, though, more for the education than anything else.

9-2 - 10.jpg
9-2 - 12.jpg

There strong plants Iriee and already look a whole lot better then the first post from 2 days ago, sure they will pull through and be fine, I will pull up a chair to find out anyway!

There strong plants Iriee and already look a whole lot better then the first post from 2 days ago, sure they will pull through and be fine, I will pull up a chair to find out anyway!

Hey Chro! Thanks and welcome, man. Gonna try my best with these strange girls!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Day 8

After no signs of growth, I decided to pull BK2 out of the reservoir. I decided to put her in soil, where I could cover the exposed roots, and give her a small chance of recovery. I put her outside to fend for herself. "Born Free!"

Temps outside are a bit cooler than the cabinets, and we are still getting 13 hours of natural sunlight, so she has a chance to survive. Thats all any plant can ask for!

The good news is that BK1 is starting to kick into gear now that the roots are in the water. She looks like she will cover from her root stem issues, although the growth is a little stunted. Being that I like having two plants in the cabinet, I dropped an Autoseed Purple Stilton to keep the Blackberry Kush company. Hopefully, she sprouts normally... and quickly!

BK1

9-3 Cabinet - 2.jpg

The space where the PS will occupy when she sprouts in a couple days:

9-3 Cabinet - 3.jpg

Oh yeah, your going to have some nice variety soon, I guess you prefer the fruity strains? Your jars are going to sound like a fruit salad, lemon, strawberry, BlackBerry with some funky cheese thrown in lol :smoking:

Hey Iriee! Tough start for these girls. This little seedling stage is so nerve wracking. Even when they’re perfect I suspect they are smaller than everyone else’s LOL.

That heat is crushing! I have an extra Cash Crop you could throw in the basement for the time being ... :crying:

Seriously I would have taken that whole tub and put it in the house somewhere for a week or two...

In any case, you will beat the conditions, and Dutch Passion — you cannot beat DP genetics — will almost always pull through.

Subbed! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, your going to have some nice variety soon, I guess you prefer the fruity strains? Your jars are going to sound like a fruit salad, lemon, strawberry, BlackBerry with some funky cheese thrown in lol :smoking:

I am looking forward to having a few different strains on hand, Chro! And yes, I can't deny that I am naturally drawn to fruit flavors and aromas! Love it!

Hey Iriee! Tough start for these girls. This little seedling stage is so nerve wracking. Even when they’re perfect I suspect they are smaller than everyone else’s LOL.

That heat is crushing! I have an extra Cash Crop you could throw in the basement for the time being ... :crying:

Seriously I would have taken that whole tub and put it in the house somewhere for a week or two...

In any case, you will beat the conditions, and Dutch Passion — you cannot beat DP genetics — will almost always pull through.

Subbed! :thumbsup:

Lol! I can use that Cashcrop 2000! Yeah, this is a particularly tough time to start a grow. Older plants have no problem dealing with it, but I am finding it a different story for seedlings!

Back