How long after paper towel germination for sapling to break through the soil

So relieved that it finally sprouted :) As you can see from the image, couple of areas of concern:
- the cotyledons look a little pale (wondering if it's because of excess water)
- crazy number of soil mites (read up quite a bit that they don't do any harm to the seedling, so have left them as is for now)

Would love to get your thoughts/advice please.

Attachments

• IMG_4120.jpg
    IMG_4120.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
So relieved that it finally sprouted :) As you can see from the image, couple of areas of concern:
- the cotyledons look a little pale (wondering if it's because of excess water)
- crazy number of soil mites (read up quite a bit that they don't do any harm to the seedling, so have left them as is for now)

Would love to get your thoughts/advice please.

into the brave new world! :yay: ppp

I germinate my seeds using the same method. I leave them in the paper towel until the tap root is about 1 inch long then I plant the sprout in a rockwool plug with the seed helmet just above the surface. Then just plant the plug into your medium and she's ready to go. Doing it this way I've usually got the cotly's open within 72 hours of wetting the seed. It also gives the young sensitive roots more stability in the rockwool that it would have in the Coco.

I germinate my seeds using the same method. I leave them in the paper towel until the tap root is about 1 inch long then I plant the sprout in a rockwool plug with the seed helmet just above the surface. Then just plant the plug into your medium and she's ready to go. Doing it this way I've usually got the cotly's open within 72 hours of wetting the seed. It also gives the young sensitive roots more stability in the rockwool that it would have in the Coco.
Makes sense - going forward I will be using coco peat for the sprout before transplanting it to its final place.

Btw, can I expose the seedling to direct sunlight now? or, do I have to wait for the first set of true leaves to grow?

I had it out in the sun all day and fed it water after the medium started to dry up. Looks like she has sprouted her first set of true leaves (there does seem to be a bit of a burn at the tip of the leaves)

IMG_4124.jpg

Back