Sprouting Seeds Using Paper Towels Without Damaging the Roots

I haven’t experimented with temp much. I’ve used my stereo cabinet ( warm) as well as a closet ( room temp) with the same results.

Thanks for the answer; gotta approach germination differently as my results have been poor.
Going to try this technique next session. 🙏

Really good read and some great ideas in here . Some of you may remember, a few years back I collected some germination data for Dinafem Mark from all of you guys/gals here on AFN. From the data collected, I could find no significant difference in germination in terms of successful germination % and time to germinate between various germination methods used amongst the AFN users that participated . If I recall it was about 40-50 user sample size. I believe the strain everyone used was Dinafem Cookies auto. Figured I'd put that out there for people having a hard time deciding what method to use.(paper towel, strait to soil, ect). I'm going to give @BII method a go because well, why not, it looks cool.

(edit) it's a little fuzzy now but I do recall there was actually 1 data point that did actually show a significant difference in germination rates. There was a large difference between the US and EU in terms of success rates. I think it was speculated that there was maybe some funny business going on at customs. Maybe spraying or some other funny stuff. It was a pretty small sample size so who knows. But the U.S/CAN had a 50% success rate.

Last edited:
(edit) it's a little fuzzy now but I do recall there was actually 1 data point that did actually show a significant difference in germination rates. There was a large difference between the US and EU in terms of success rates. I think it was speculated that there was maybe some funny business going on at customs. Maybe spraying or some other funny stuff. It was a pretty small sample size so who knows. But the U.S/CAN had a 50% success rate.
I doubt US customs is secretly spraying something toxic on imported cannabis/hemp seeds, which are fully legal in US at federal level.

How would customs do it, contaminate the seeds? Aren't commercial seeds shipped from Europe in their final sales-unit packaging, such as packaged in Spain or Netherlands, and these shipped in bulk internationally to distributors?

For ex., back with Dinafem, were the seeds destined for US distributors actually imported in bulk and the seeds packaged at a central US Dinafem or contractor facility, and then shipped to US distributors (vs. end-user English language packages shipped from Europe direct to the US distributors)?

Last edited:
I doubt US customs is secretly spraying something toxic on imported cannabis/hemp seeds, which are fully legal in US at federal level.

How would customs do it, contaminate the seeds? Aren't commercial seeds shipped from Europe in their final sales-unit packaging, such as packaged in Spain or Netherlands, and these shipped in bulk internationally to distributors?

For ex., back with Dinafem, were the seeds destined for US distributors actually imported in bulk and the seeds packaged at a central US Dinafem or contractor facility, and then shipped to US distributors (vs. end-user English language packages shipped from Europe direct to the US distributors)?
It was almost 5 years ago and the discussion wasn't that serious. Just shooting the shit really. If I was to take a more serious guess it would likely be something with the environmental conditions possibly when being shipped such a long distance. The seeds were shipped directly to AFN users for a solo cup competition. I really have no idea, and again it was a small sample size. Maybe like 100-150 seeds germinated in total between everyone that participated in the feedback. I just thought I would throw that info out there as it seemed on topic with your thread and some might find the data interesting.

It was almost 5 years ago and the discussion wasn't that serious. Just shooting the shit really. If I was to take a more serious guess it would likely be something with the environmental conditions possibly when being shipped such a long distance. The seeds were shipped directly to AFN users for a solo cup competition. I really have no idea, and again it was a small sample size. Maybe like 100-150 seeds germinated in total between everyone that participated in the feedback. I just thought I would throw that info out there as it seemed on topic with your thread and some might find the data interesting.
Can you tell us how Dinafem, formerly a major seed company (did they just disappear or were they acquired?), exported their seeds such as to the US? Were they shipped in bulk and packaged here in the US and then shipped to US distributors, or were they put into their final end-user packaging in Europe and shipped directly to US distributors (seem much more likely)?

Yes, shipping on planes could result in seeds being in the hold of a plane and either being overheated or frozen in flight.

Can you tell us how Dinafem, formerly a major seed company (did they just disappear or were they acquired?), exported their seeds such as to the US? Were they shipped in bulk and packaged here in the US and then shipped to US distributors, or were they put into their final end-user packaging in Europe and shipped directly to US distributors (seem much more likely)?

Yes, shipping on planes could result in seeds being in the hold of a plane and either being overheated or frozen in flight.
Your guess is a good as mine. I'm just a forum member here from Canada that volunteered to collect some data. I don't have any inside knowledge of anything. It wasn't my intention to make it sound like I had some sort of affiliation or connection.

Last edited:
Back