HLG Halloween Event

View attachment 1376844

Super Sativa Seed Club and twenty20 Mendocino are sponsoring seeds for second and third place.

Make this the best pumpkin contest on the web to support and make all our AFN vendors spookfabulous.

View attachment 1371077

Then this is a pumpkin carving contest for you. This is how it works:

You carve a pumpkin with a tool that breaks the skin. You may embellish your pumpkins environment in any manner you see fit. You must take a picture or video of it with a code card “AFN Pumpkin” You can photo shop the pumpkin but not the code card. Videos are welcome. Hard Core XXX will be deleted and you will be spooked. You are allowed one entry. That entry will place you into 3 separate polls: One for The Best Ever, One for The Ugliest, and One for The Goofiest. The winner of each of those polls will be entered in the final poll to determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Enter in here when the thread is open. Entry posts should be just the picture/video only to make it easier for me to copy.

Dates have changed!

Entries open October 1 through November 1, 2021.

First polls open November 3 and close November 10.

Final Poll Opens November 11 and closes Midnight November 18.

The winners are by the poll results on November 19!

Pumpkins are not universally available around the world at the same time so the definition of pumpkin for this contest shall include:

A pumpkin is a cultivar of winter squash that is round with smooth, slightly ribbed skin, and is most often deep yellow to orange in coloration.[1] The thick shell contains the seeds and pulp. The name is most commonly used for cultivars of Cucurbita pepo, but some cultivars of Cucurbita maxima, C. argyrosperma, and C. moschata with similar appearance are also sometimes called "pumpkin".

Carved Watermelons will be acceptable also.

View attachment 1371081View attachment 1371082View attachment 1371083View attachment 1371084
I read that canned pumpkins are not even pumpkins, but a squash that was developed because the pumpkins are not consistent enough.

I read that canned pumpkins are not even pumpkins, but a squash that was developed because the pumpkins are not consistent enough.

Yeah I looked into that too ....

"Instead, most canned pumpkin in the U.S. is made from a type of pumpkin that doesn't look all that typical. Dickinson pumpkins, also known as Dickinson squash, are the pumpkins used to make the majority of canned pumpkin we eat today. ... They're also sometimes called squash, not pumpkins."

Y'know ... I thought i was finding this carving comp a bit tricky ... but now i know where i was going wrong! .. We need to use the real ones .. and not the Dickson squash (in cans)

1634380946389.png

Ahhh la laaaaaa

:pass:

Yeah I looked into that too ....

"Instead, most canned pumpkin in the U.S. is made from a type of pumpkin that doesn't look all that typical. Dickinson pumpkins, also known as Dickinson squash, are the pumpkins used to make the majority of canned pumpkin we eat today. ... They're also sometimes called squash, not pumpkins."

Y'know ... I thought i was finding this carving comp a bit tricky ... but now i know where i was going wrong! .. We need to use the real ones .. and not the Dickson squash (in cans)

View attachment 1378440

Ahhh la laaaaaa

:pass:
Butternut squash could be fun, but I'm surprised no one asked about turnips as that's what was used traditionally.

Screenshot_20211016-103946_Google.jpg

Also absolutely freaking terrifying, some straight up shrunken head stuff there.

I was hoping i wasnt late but i see the date has been moved back. Here is my entry

27621256661067.jpeg

27621256661067.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping i wasnt late but i see the date has been moved back. Here is my entry

View attachment 1378629
Just a heads up but in the rules the code card needs the words "AFN PUMPKIN" don't ask me how lenient staff are on the rules, but it would be a shame if you were disqualified on a technicality. Either ask the Staff about it, or just re photo with a new code card. Code cards are the only thing which can't be photoshopped!

Ya, i thought of that after looking at the first post. Gotta play by the rules. Now i just have to bribe my model again.... i feel like she planned it for more cookies.

Ya, i thought of that after looking at the first post. Gotta play by the rules. Now i just have to bribe my model again.... i feel like she planned it for more cookies.
@DDubs We will give you a special Dog Dispensation - your entry is good.

Back