Lighting Heat Sink for Citizen 1212

@supersi The active I have in front of me right now give off 25db x4 that's an extra 100db in your setup. Not to mention they need to be cleaned thoroughly eventually.

Hey man I want to point out this is not true. You cannot simply add dB as it is a logarithmic unit. When the sound pressure doubles, dB goes up by value of 3. And when it douples again from there it goes up another 3 dB. 4 actives each giving 25 dB would all together result in 31dB noise. :toke:

Are you uk based mate? I can give you contact details for a good mechatronix supplier here. I use mechatronix passive heatsinks that are the bomb. So much more solid than many of the others I've seen and used.

How are you mounting the cobs? On a frame? The ones I use are predrilled for cob holders of all types, and also for attaching to a frame.

Not cheap at about 25 quid each, but well worth it. I have broken fins off others quite easily!

It all depends on your situation I suppose. If I were growing in my house I’d probably want passive but then again you need a fan going anyways so passive wouldn’t do much to help you. Personally I look at the extra stuff. Driver,fan and wiring. Never really liked knowing if the fan died I’d probably cook my lights either. Everyone’s situation is different.

Hey man I want to point out this is not true. You cannot simply add dB as it is a logarithmic unit. When the sound pressure doubles, dB goes up by value of 3. And when it douples again from there it goes up another 3 dB. 4 actives each giving 25 dB would all together result in 31dB noise. :toke:
Wouldn’t this be 34? 25+3+3+3. I’m happy to learn this!!

Wouldn’t this be 34? 25+3+3+3. I’m happy to learn this!!

No. The sound pressure douples just twice when there are 4 units, compared to one unit. Think about it bro ;)

It would be 34 dB with 8 units, provided that single unit is 25 dB.

To provide a comparison, firing artillery cannon at around 30m away will give about 130 dB sound pressure. For that you would need... uum.. calculating...
about 34 billion fans at 25 dB each?

Last edited:
You run same wattage per COB. And you get more photons because COB is more cooled.
I have Arctic alpine fans, which has 0.3 sone. This is 20 dB. I have 5 of them and you cannot hear them in front of tent. Actually my computer is louder.
MW drivers are 92-95% efficient, so you don't waste too much wattage.

But yea, agree with BigSm0... if you have money, go passive and get latest and the most efficient chip (Citizen 1825 gen 6, Vero 29 gen 7, CXM32). Get more of them and drive them at lower current. That means also more heatsinks and other stuff.
They were basically the same statement but ok. You run the same wattage per cob if there's an extra driver for the fans, the enquiry is about passive heatsinks for 1212s. No stress though I have actives i would like running for the heck of it, I'm not hating.

This is good to know, thanks. There's still the initial decibel factor though

Back