Indoor Hardon's First AFN Grow - Fast Buds West Coast OG GLR SCROG

Looking sweet fella….I'm pretty sure you'll pick a few more colas as it goes through the stretch. Hope the temp picks up for you brother.

Thanks man. Yeah I'm sure I'll get the spaces filled. It's just these damn temps... And to think I somehow thought I could run the GLR this winter! :rolleyes1:

Cheers,
Hardon

Looks great mate! I really like how evenly spaced out the tops are and how even the canopy is, nice work! :d5: They all look like solid tops too, I'm a bit jealous :biggrin:

How much of the colas do you usually have above the screen? I usually aim for 15-20cm, any more and the lower part usually doesn't develop more than some popcorn but I guess it depends on the density as well.

Cheers man. The distance above the screen depends on the strain and how much they want to stretch. It's all about an even canopy so I try and maintain that during the stretch as far as possible. I also try to leave enough space around each bud site/cola so it gets it fair share of light right down to screen level to limit the popcorn effect. I only have a 400w lamp and the light penetration isn't all that great so I need to give them space to develop instead.

Hope that makes sense - I always seem to write replies to you when I'm baked! lol

Cheers,
Hardon

Cheers man. The distance above the screen depends on the strain and how much they want to stretch. It's all about an even canopy so I try and maintain that during the stretch as far as possible. I also try to leave enough space around each bud site/cola so it gets it fair share of light right down to screen level to limit the popcorn effect. I only have a 400w lamp and the light penetration isn't all that great so I need to give them space to develop instead.

Hope that makes sense - I always seem to write replies to you when I'm baked! lol

Cheers,
Hardon

I'm starting to think that you're always baked..:smoking:

That makes sense, at some point you have to let them go and see how it turns out.

For the temperature issue, what is the temp at lights on? Would it be possible to place the heater close to the tent inlet? I just think if you can keep the temperature up with 400W inside it should be possible to reach reasonable temps with 800W outside given that a lot of that is diverted directly in to the tent.

I have a fan controller on the RVK connected to the cool tube so I can control the lights on temps no problem. They dipped on Friday when winter arrived so I dropped the fan speed to 20% and the temps are around 25-26 again. I have the lamp 7-8 inches away from the canopy so I have a bit of scope left on this front yet...

For lights out, I installed a heater at the intake side and a heater at the front door (both external) and then the tube heater on the inside of the tent. The problem is my loft is pretty big and temps outside the tent are in single figures now. The only heaters that are doing anything is the one at the intake and the tube. The one at the door made little difference to be honest.

What I think I need is a thermostatic fan heater that I can connect to some ducting and feed into the tent. The temperature probe can be kept at canopy height and the heater can then keep the temps pretty constant. Unfortunately I don't think this exists and my own attempt at one last year was an epic fire hazard :biggrin:

I dunno what the answer is dude. It would be easy if I had any free space inside the tent which makes a DS90 even more appealing. Fuck it, I'm off to see how much this new set-up is gonna cost me!

Thanks for the input man, always appreciated.

Cheers,
Hardon

Nice grow! I like the SOG method I might do that at some point. I am getting ready to do the same strain from the same vendor. I know in the fast buds description the mention to give the plenty of light and extra nutrients more than you are used giving them so drilling them with nutrients is something they can take. I will be using a 4x4 tent with a 600 watt hps and two 35 watt led's and I am only doing 3 in 5 gal pots being this is my first auto grow and pretty much my first grow overall. Fast Buds also noted that this strain tends to be very stinky especially towards the end of flowering. Will be sure to check your grow out it should be a good show!

Nice Scrog bro have you thought about covering your tent with some thick blankets to help with the heat when lights out just a thought. Keep up the great work bro.

Regarding, "What I think I need is a thermostatic fan heater..."

I use a Lux WIN100 programmable electrical outlet thermostat to control my fan. For example, see www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-Cooling-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000E7NYY8. I set it so it turns on its electrical outlet (run fans or whatever) when the temp. reaches 80˚F and it turns off at 79˚F (you can set the range, here just 1 degree, that you allow temp. swings). But because it obviously is designed to remain on for minimally a few minutes (can't have heaters and air conditioners going off-one multiple times per minute), it runs a few minutes and when it stops its 2 degrees cooler, 78˚F. The unit allows for different temp. settings day and night of each day of the week, etc. But I just run it in manual, with my tent going 24 x 7, as a normal thermostat without using any timer functions.

Back