Outdoor Guerilla Growing tips guide

G.Leave

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
The Guerilla Style Growers Guide...this tips guide is only partially finished, but since its so close to the outdoor season I figured I had better get it posted. Some things will be edited and reformatted as time allows.

Chapter 1 Introduction:

I know a lot of folks can only grow in their closets, or stick plants out in the woods, and hope for the best. For years, that was the way i grew outdoors(before i injured my neck) and i had good success growing that way. Now I cannot write a complete how-to guide on this subject as everybodies location is very different, but i am attempting to write a guide that will have tips and tricks that will help in any situation, along with some tips and tricks to more location specific growers here in North America. As with my other "Guide to Training Photosensitive Monsters" this guide will not delve into basics of growing seedlings, as it already assumes you can grow at the least small plants. The goal of this guide is to hopefully increase outdoor success.

The early phase of growth, before they go outside - "Seedlings"

Okay nothing too complicated to see here! I start all of my outdoor plants on April the 1st indoors under T8 flourescant lights.(recently upgraded to LED's) As there is still snow on the ground in my locations, I cannot put them in the ground until the snow melts and the ground warms, which is June the 1st. I put plants outside on June the 1st hell or high water. My plants over the years have seen many frosts, sleet and even snow on occasion. I believe early cold stress toughen the plants for the often cold weather they must endure in the fall. Every year my plants will deal with some frost, usually in both the spring and fall seasons.

Vegetative growth - "Location, Location, Location"

This is the key factor for successfull growing guerilla style. There is a few factors that will make or break your crop in the end. Choosing your spot is everything.

Where Exactly to grow - I can only give my experiences on this. Edges of farm fields, edges of forests, abandoned and public land all have opportunity. Do not trespass on others land to grow a hundred plants. That type of behaviour is what gives growers a bad name. I do understand that in many places of the world, there are only two types of land, privately owned and publicly over used land. If you have to trespass to grow a couple of plants, do just that. Do just enough to smoke for the year, and train them to look like bushes not Xmas trees. Trespass growing changes your threats from typical thieves and hunters to the guy that owns, and likely knows the land.

Security - Absolutely the most important thing when it comes to location is security. It doesn't matter if your plants grow to 20 feet tall if someone else is going to find and steal them, or worse call in the cavalry. You have to make the decision whether your spot could be compromised by hikers, hunters, bird watchers or worse of all pot thieves. If you have doubts, i would advise a much later seedling start than April the first. Then get away from the typical Xmas tree structure by topping the plant at the fourth true node. Branches can be tied down using 10lb test green braided fishing line which is extremely un noticeable to the human eye which will give the plants a very different than usual bush/shrub like appearance. Tying the braided line directly onto the branches will cut into the stalk walls, so i tie a small piece of dark fabric and then tie the braided line to that.

Security Animals - Deer, rodents, racoons, gophers, moose, coyotes can all be a problem when growing in guerilla settings. My biggest problem is Deer and Coyotes. Deer are pretty easily deterred by using blood and bone meal as fertilizers, but on the flipside Blood/Bone attracts predators like Coyotes, Wolves and Bear. These animals will dig up your soil to check out what the blood and bone smell is. Once the animals have dug up the soil a couple of times and find nothing worthy to eat, they will stop disturbing the dirt. For this reason I will prepare my holes a good two weeks before planting my plants. Blood meal sprinkled on the ground close to the plants is a great deterrent for rabbits, rodents, deer and moose. I have always found that little plants are most likely to get eaten by animals, especially plants put out early in the spring. In areas where i know there are few people, i will not hesitate to use chicken wire cages to protect them for the first few weeks.

Insects - Yet another thing to look out when choosing location is insects. In my locations, I have a few of the hassle bugs to look out for. Slugs are probably my number one concern, followed by Leaf Hoppers(we have green, brown and rainbow coloured Leaf Hoppers). Grassy type fields might seem like an ideal spot for sun(and it is) but know that the leaf hoppers will likely be eating your plants. Some strains are susceptible(or just taste better to the bugs?) and some strains the insects will virtually leave alone. If you have good light and good soil, leaf hoppers shouldn't be too much of a hassle, as your plants should certainly outgrow the damage they can cause. Now slugs on the other hand can do some substantial damage. Those little pricks leaving their slime trail while they devour tissue must be stopped!!(lol) Experiment to see what works to repel them, as it would seem some things work well in some places but not others. I tried wrapping exposed copper around stalks and training ties and is was quite effective in my situation. I've also used beer traps with good effect, but here in Cannada its a capitol crime punishable by death to waste beer. Got to admit though, it feels pretty good to see a bunch of the bastards dead. :D

PH of the soil is imperative here. If the PH is off whether high or low it will cause major problems. Invest in a digital soil ph meter and make sure you location choice is fairly close to an ideal PH. Lime is crucial to help any soil to get to the ph sweet spot, and also adds calcium and magnesium to the plants so its a really worthy addition to any soil.

Drainage - Drainage is super important. If water sits in a hole for hours without draining away then you have some serious work ahead of you, and making the plants look natural will be very difficult in super soggy soil. The best way to fix the problem is to create mounds of dirt. In my experience if the water is soggy(low drainage swampy or clay) try to find another spot to grow in. Also PH is usually way off in swampy soil.

Sunlight - I've pulled a pound a plant in 6 hours of direct sun a number of times. Full sun is ideal, but know if all of the conditions are right the plants could grow uncontrollably, and if they get too big they will be prone to thieves. I would rather harvest a handful of 3 foot 1/4 pounders, than lose a 10 footer to some hunter, or worse. Now if you have an incredible spot with full sun, and no people then get ready for a crazy harvest. Scout spots during the day, and try to vision the path of the sun, and maximize the rays by putting the plant in a good location. Ideally check the sun in the morning and in the late afternoon to ensure your location has sufficient light.

Vegetative growth - "Preparing the soil"
One of my favorite soils to use is hardwood leaf compost. Rotted maple, oak, beech, birch all drop a ton of leaves in the fall and once they compost down, they breakdown to a fluffy black soil full of nutrients and PH is perfect. In my situation, the mature forests don't allow enough sun to penetrate the canopy, so i relocate this soil to a more sun filled location. Often this will save a ton of work, and it really is a pristine medium. With a few other additions, it is the perfect soil. When you dig up soil for relocation, try to cover up the spot where you dug from, and leave as little evidence as possible....the less hikers notice, the better. I carefully scrape back the non rotted leaves from the soils surface and dig the top 8"-12" of the nice black topsoil, and then cover up the dug hole with the leaves i scraped away.

Soil - "Mixes and bringing in your own"
I hope for your sake you don't have to resort to carrying soil mixes kilometers though rough country. Finding good native soil is usually much easier than lugging in many kilos of dirt, but not always feasible.

Preflower

Tending to your plants - "Stealth"

If you can, nothing is more stealthy than night runs dressed in black. Be wary though, as rough rugged ground can send you home with a twisted or broken ankle. Also some may have night time predator animals to deal with, which is always fun.(getting confronted by a Bear in the middle of the night while tending your plants is a real treat) For night runs though, people in the woods are few and far between, and truth be told, humans are the biggest threat to most peoples outdoor plants. In the night you move much slower than during the day time, especially if you are going out on moonlit nights, so give yourself extra time to complete your tasks.

Great job man, just some info I would like to add, in the case that you may have forgotten anything, or not known about it. Just trying to spread the knowledge man :)
The early phase of growth, before they go outside - "Seedlings"

Okay nothing too complicated to see here! I start all of my outdoor plants on April the 1st indoors under T8 flourescant lights.(recently upgraded to LED's) As there is still snow on the ground in my locations, I cannot put them in the ground until the snow melts and the ground warms, which is June the 1st. I put plants outside on June the 1st hell or high water. My plants over the years have seen many frosts, sleet and even snow on occasion. I believe early cold stress toughen the plants for the often cold weather they must endure in the fall. Every year my plants will deal with some frost, usually in both the spring and fall seasons.
I believe it'd be good to note that the most optimal time to plant seedlings outdoors would be during a rain storm (bad visibility, low traffic, everyone wants to stay inside), or before a nice rain. It moistens up the surroundings, which allow for easier digging as well as assisting new root development. Also, you won't have to carry in as much, or any water at all when going into plant, depending on conditions.

Security - Absolutely the most important thing when it comes to location is security. It doesn't matter if your plants grow to 20 feet tall if someone else is going to find and steal them, or worse call in the cavalry. You have to make the decision whether your spot could be compromised by hikers, hunters, bird watchers or worse of all pot thieves. If you have doubts, i would advise a much later seedling start than April the first. Then get away from the typical Xmas tree structure by topping the plant at the fourth true node. Branches can be tied down using 10lb test green braided fishing line which is extremely un noticeable to the human eye which will give the plants a very different than usual bush/shrub like appearance. Tying the braided line directly onto the branches will cut into the stalk walls, so i tie a small piece of dark fabric and then tie the braided line to that.

It would be good to look into autos, or late plantings. Both offer a variety of benefits over long flowering indicas, or sativas, especially because there is more risk involved with photos. Outdoors, autos can be harvested twice per season at one location, if staggered to plant once a month from May til August 1st, you can put out as many as, 4 harvests throughout the entire season. Now, autos are the most optimal of the two options -late plantings or autos-, this is because autos have an exact lifetime, bred for their short lives, and are very hard to notice until the last 15-25 days of their life span in which they flower.

What I am referring to when I say late plantings is using photos but instead of planting in May, or June, which would generally produce monsters by the end of the season, you would plant in Mid-July to first week of August. These plants will immediately flower, once they become established. This gives you the ability to produce smaller plants, which will be hard to find until September or October. Although they may only average an oz or two, when done in medium-large batches, the overall yield is worth the trouble. Because of the shorter life span, akin to autos, they do not require as heavy nutes, but still provide the debatable "superior quality to autos"

Insects - Yet another thing to look out when choosing location is insects. In my locations, I have a few of the hassle bugs to look out for. Slugs are probably my number one concern, followed by Leaf Hoppers(we have green, brown and rainbow coloured Leaf Hoppers). Grassy type fields might seem like an ideal spot for sun(and it is) but know that the leaf hoppers will likely be eating your plants. Some strains are susceptible(or just taste better to the bugs?) and some strains the insects will virtually leave alone. If you have good light and good soil, leaf hoppers shouldn't be too much of a hassle, as your plants should certainly outgrow the damage they can cause. Now slugs on the other hand can do some substantial damage. Those little pricks leaving their slime trail while they devour tissue must be stopped!!(lol) Experiment to see what works to repel them, as it would seem some things work well in some places but not others. I tried wrapping exposed copper around stalks and training ties and is was quite effective in my situation. I've also used beer traps with good effect, but here in Cannada its a capitol crime punishable by death to waste beer. Got to admit though, it feels pretty good to see a bunch of the bastards dead. :D

PH of the soil is imperative here. If the PH is off whether high or low it will cause major problems. Invest in a digital soil ph meter and make sure you location choice is fairly close to an ideal PH. Lime is crucial to help any soil to get to the ph sweet spot, and also adds calcium and magnesium to the plants so its a really worthy addition to any soil.

For insects such as, slugs, mites, and a few others, using diatomaceous earth is a very good remedy. Also, if you are an organic grower, you can set aside the dolomitic lime, and pick up a bag of oyster shell flour, and crab meal. Oyster Shell provides a good supplement of Cal & Mag, as well as that, it has a good supply of silicon which strengthens the stalks of the plants. Crab meal has chitin in it which kills insects, and the nutrients within it, slowly release providing the plants with nitrogen, and phosphorus throughout their life.

Also, you should mention something called water polymer crystals. Essentially, they absorb water from the soil, which otherwise would be unused and sink through gravity. They absorb this water, and slowly release it back into the soil during times of drought. It can prevent visits to water entirely depending on rainfall, or limit them greatly. Each time you visit your location, you're putting yourself as well as your plants on the line, by using the crystals you prevent the number of visits, even if only cutting it down to biweekly, it can mean a very big difference in the long run. Just something for everyone to consider to add to their soil mix, it may not be needed if you already have heavy rainfall in your area, but if you don't, or are worried of your plants to succumbing to any droughts, you should definitely consider them.

My post was only meant to further the information provided by you Skell, I think you did a great job explaining a lot of what must be considered, and some things that newer growers might not know. However, I felt that I should add some of my own knowledge, I in no way mean for you take this as a sign of disrespect, only someone trying to ensure the safety, security, and success of all this years growers. Very well done on the post though, I hope you can further expand upon it to include harvesting, and late flower, as well as anything else you can think of. I'll be watching and waiting to see what else I may be able to add, and of course learn from you as well. :)

Great job man, just some info I would like to add, in the case that you may have forgotten anything, or not known about it. Just trying to spread the knowledge man :)

I believe it'd be good to note that the most optimal time to plant seedlings outdoors would be during a rain storm (bad visibility, low traffic, everyone wants to stay inside), or before a nice rain. It moistens up the surroundings, which allow for easier digging as well as assisting new root development. Also, you won't have to carry in as much, or any water at all when going into plant, depending on conditions.

It would be good to look into autos, or late plantings. Both offer a variety of benefits over long flowering indicas, or sativas, especially because there is more risk involved with photos. Outdoors, autos can be harvested twice per season at one location, if staggered to plant once a month from May til August 1st, you can put out as many as, 4 harvests throughout the entire season. Now, autos are the most optimal of the two options -late plantings or autos-, this is because autos have an exact lifetime, bred for their short lives, and are very hard to notice until the last 15-25 days of their life span in which they flower.

What I am referring to when I say late plantings is using photos but instead of planting in May, or June, which would generally produce monsters by the end of the season, you would plant in Mid-July to first week of August. These plants will immediately flower, once they become established. This gives you the ability to produce smaller plants, which will be hard to find until September or October. Although they may only average an oz or two, when done in medium-large batches, the overall yield is worth the trouble. Because of the shorter life span, akin to autos, they do not require as heavy nutes, but still provide the debatable "superior quality to autos"

For insects such as, slugs, mites, and a few others, using diatomaceous earth is a very good remedy. Also, if you are an organic grower, you can set aside the dolomitic lime, and pick up a bag of oyster shell flour, and crab meal. Oyster Shell provides a good supplement of Cal & Mag, as well as that, it has a good supply of silicon which strengthens the stalks of the plants. Crab meal has chitin in it which kills insects, and the nutrients within it, slowly release providing the plants with nitrogen, and phosphorus throughout their life.

Also, you should mention something called water polymer crystals. Essentially, they absorb water from the soil, which otherwise would be unused and sink through gravity. They absorb this water, and slowly release it back into the soil during times of drought. It can prevent visits to water entirely depending on rainfall, or limit them greatly. Each time you visit your location, you're putting yourself as well as your plants on the line, by using the crystals you prevent the number of visits, even if only cutting it down to biweekly, it can mean a very big difference in the long run. Just something for everyone to consider to add to their soil mix, it may not be needed if you already have heavy rainfall in your area, but if you don't, or are worried of your plants to succumbing to any droughts, you should definitely consider them.

My post was only meant to further the information provided by you Skell, I think you did a great job explaining a lot of what must be considered, and some things that newer growers might not know. However, I felt that I should add some of my own knowledge, I in no way mean for you take this as a sign of disrespect, only someone trying to ensure the safety, security, and success of all this years growers. Very well done on the post though, I hope you can further expand upon it to include harvesting, and late flower, as well as anything else you can think of. I'll be watching and waiting to see what else I may be able to add, and of course learn from you as well. :)

Excellent tips HMR! I will be adding more to the guide for sure, just wanted to get it out there even though its a WIP, since some guys will be getting ready to rock soon.

I remembered another thing I forgot to add on my last post.
When looking for locations, look EVERYWHERE.. Even the most obvious places, or places with high traffic that you'd never consider in a million years, can have one or two late minis, or autos.. An extra one or two ounces per spot, with 10 or 20 spots can make a HUGE difference. Before entering a spot, research it on google earth, as well as
streetview, so you can have a good idea of what its like. Try to avoid rivers, lakes or other bodies of water as police will put more focus on those areas because growers may be inclined to use it as a source to water their plants. So keep in mind the HARDER to get to a spot the BETTER. Also, state parks, and any conservation areas should be highly avoided, they'll add time if you're caught, and you have the chance of something fucked up happening, e.g a few years ago, a state park decided to attach a camera and tracker to a turtle... The turtle apparently had a taste for the ganja an stumbled right into someones massive plot, and he was busted and lost everything. There's always that X factor which you cannot control, such as GPS tracked camera strapped turtles lol

If you're really interested in someone who can pull off crazy shit in urban areas, outdoors, look into a guy named Julian, and his Massive Outdoor Grow.. He was able to put thousands of plants in one of the U.S biggest cities, in areas with HIGH traffic (few hundred thousand people feet away every year), and he's never been caught. *If I need to remove this part because it's referencing another thread on another forum I will do so, but he truly provides amazing information*

Exceptional tip man...with your permission might i add these tips to the initial post? Also please link to this julian fellows grow....i want to see!!!

Exceptional tip man...with your permission might i add these tips to the initial post? Also please link to this julian fellows grow....i want to see!!!
Absolutely! Also I'll warn you that his thread is 200 pages long.. However, it documents his journey over 3 years of growing, including security, location, plants, strains, past experience, experience with the law, mailing MMJ, autoflowers, photos, guerilla, indoor, greenhouse, how to run separate businesses, stock trading, and a WHOLE lot more. He is an incredibly hard worker, he went from a dealing white back in the 80s, and a self made millionaire by 20, to broke by 25, to millionaire, to broke, to millionaire once again, in between that all if he had to work a hourly rate job he would put in 120 hours a week. This thread is also very old, however, majority of the information is still very useful to say the least.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=62895 Now over 3/4 of a million views btw

Are there any outdoor UK guerrilla growers on here I'm looking to have my first attempt this year and would love the opportunity to discuss difference aspects of growing outdoors with a fellow enthusiast.

P.S - Does anyone have experience growing Ultimate Autos in the UK climate it seems 8-10 zips is very achievable indoors as documented by a few of you fellas on here what type of yields could we expect outside ?

Regards the Pear.

Last edited:
Back