Growing the nodes only?

PeaceLove&Buds

It’s never too late to be what you might’ve been
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Homegrown!
My first grow is around 60 days old now and I have 6 in my 4x4 tent as I was clueless to how bushed out they can grow with all the intermodal growth. As I struggled with defol and worries of airflow I decided I’d run 3 max next time. HOWEVER now when I open my tent each day and see it packed full of large beautiful buds I feel like I’ve found my purpose! So I’m considering continuing to grow 5-6 but eliminating all the internodes except those near the top. This will obviously eliminate yield per plant but that’s really not a concern because it’s all personal medicine and from what I’m seeing I’ll have a perpetually stocked wine cooler lol. I also already have 70-80 Mephisto and Night Owl seeds in the fridge so I’m on pause there til I grow some more. So I’m wondering if any of you trim off all the internodes right away leaving you with just the 8-12 nodes depending where/if you top? I hope the question makes sense, it just seems like I could get away with a much smaller diameter per plant.

Here’s my tent, and I’m thinking with less lower growth in the middle and outside I could keep the nodes in a tighter circle and not pressed against the tent.
023DFD30-40F1-43F1-B8F6-8F6A5FB61646.jpeg
A4CFE1DA-5FE9-41F2-989C-BA259F92FA4A.jpeg
CC1BF0D7-6712-415B-9D89-F44A222F1DF7.jpeg
C7BE172C-09DA-4C29-8F22-065DD0C02013.jpeg
F8514170-E8B0-4A61-96AC-1C552E6DFA58.jpeg

My first grow is around 60 days old now and I have 6 in my 4x4 tent as I was clueless to how bushed out they can grow with all the intermodal growth. As I struggled with defol and worries of airflow I decided I’d run 3 max next time. HOWEVER now when I open my tent each day and see it packed full of large beautiful buds I feel like I’ve found my purpose! So I’m considering continuing to grow 5-6 but eliminating all the internodes except those near the top. This will obviously eliminate yield per plant but that’s really not a concern because it’s all personal medicine and from what I’m seeing I’ll have a perpetually stocked wine cooler lol. I also already have 70-80 Mephisto and Night Owl seeds in the fridge so I’m on pause there til I grow some more. So I’m wondering if any of you trim off all the internodes right away leaving you with just the 8-12 nodes depending where/if you top? I hope the question makes sense, it just seems like I could get away with a much smaller diameter per plant.

Here’s my tent, and I’m thinking with less lower growth in the middle and outside I could keep the nodes in a tighter circle and not pressed against the tent.View attachment 1493262View attachment 1493263View attachment 1493265View attachment 1493266View attachment 1493267

I top at the 6th node then let them grow from there. At day 10/21 I will prune every branch that does not reach the canopy. It usually eliminates 1/3 of the undergrowth maybe more sometimes.

I don't consider defoliation to be necessary unless air circulation/pest/excess humidity is an issue, if I lick my finger and don't feel air circulation then I will turn the fan up. Mostly as long as I have good extraction from the exhaust fan I'm not overly concerned.

I've packed in 9-12 plants in 3 gallons in a 4x4 before, 6 isn't an issue. They are going to hit the walls especially if you pack it full. I prefer to not be able to see the floor whatsoever with a dense canopy, makes me feel less horrible after all the undergrowth I prune.

@PeaceLove&Buds You have your terminology a little off but I understand what you mean. What you are considering doing is called lollipoping. The node is not the stem that grows from the crotch of the plant it is the junction of the stems and leaves where a new branch will grow from.

I have tried many many training techniques. First of all we are talking Autos because Photos is an entirely different plant. I top above the 4th node ASAP. If I know for sure that the auto is a 90 day+ variety I may top above the 5th node otherwise it may stunt the plant by not having enough time to recover the HST of topping. Then I just let the plant grow, I do not defoliate. I think it is crazy to cut off a part of the plant it has spent so much energy to produce, so it can produce energy for the plant! Them the plant just spends more energy growing another leaf :doh:This has provided the best yields for me.

ScreenHunter_146 Dec. 11 22.18.jpg

my current grow.

_DSC4971.JPG

The wine/beverage cooler thing is catching on.

That tent isn't even packed that tight. I'd keep running 6 just defol a lot of those bigger upper and middle leaves. Tent looks really good :toke:

@PeaceLove&Buds You have your terminology a little off but I understand what you mean. What you are considering doing is called lollipoping. The node is not the stem that grows from the crotch of the plant it is the junction of the stems and leaves where a new branch will grow from.

I have tried many many training techniques. First of all we are talking Autos because Photos is an entirely different plant. I top above the 4th node ASAP. If I know for sure that the auto is a 90 day+ variety I may top above the 5th node otherwise it may stunt the plant by not having enough time to recover the HST of topping. Then I just let the plant grow, I do not defoliate. I think it is crazy to cut off a part of the plant it has spent so much energy to produce, so it can produce energy for the plant! Them the plant just spends more energy growing another leaf :doh:This has provided the best yields for me.

View attachment 1493439

my current grow.

View attachment 1493443
I learn something new every day on this site. Thanks for the advice Man.

That tent isn't even packed that tight. I'd keep running 6 just defol a lot of those bigger upper and middle leaves. Tent looks really good :toke:
Jeez I’d be stressing big time if it was tighter haha! Thanks bud!

I’ve never grown before but I’ve been storing my personal in my wine cooler for about 20 years. Is it just now becoming a hip thing to do?
Some of us in hot states bought them to cure &/or dry. I recently purchased a beverage fridge & am currently doing my first cure ever.

Last edited:
Some of us in hot states bought them to cure &/or dry. I recently purchased a beverage fridge & am currently do my first cure ever.
This is funny because I told my wife to drink up because I’m gonna need the whole cooler in a few weeks. Thought I was a genius for thinking of curing in there :crying:

Back