Harvest & Curing Grove Bags and Boveda Curing

AFNG

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Just thought I would share my thoughts on curing based on my limited experience so far.

I've cured a few harvests now and have settled on my preferred lazy cure for now unless something changes.

I've cured in both glass Mason jars and Grove bags and I feel like the bags offer better light protection obviously over clear glass and it allows moisture and oxygen among other things to pass through the bag I'm sure much more efficiently than glass.

I still burped the bags on one harvest because the flower was getting really sticky (I think combination of being really dank but also excess moisture from center). I didn't need to burp it as often as the glass jars though which was nice.

What I tried on the next harvest and worked great was actually putting a boveda pack in bag as well. The bag does a good job at maintaining moisture inside but as I noticed can't purge a lot of moisture at once. I forget the term but Grove bags does state on their website that you basically need to purge more of the internal moisture after it's dry before you can bag it and forget it.

Adding the Boveda pack at least for me has solved that problem. Since boveda uses 2-way humidification/dehumidification it can absorb that excess moisture after the drying stage and store it for humidifying later as needed. It basically kept it perfect for me without needing any intervention on my part which was nice.

Anyone else try this method yet? I'd be curious if you experienced same thing. Both of my harvests were AutoSeeds Gorilla Glue and had dense buds.

@Grove Bags @Boveda

Hey,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give our TerpLocTM technology a try!

What moisture content are you putting the product in the bag?
The reason I ask is that you should not need to use a Boveda or any brand humidicant/desiccant packet. Not just for cost reasons but the solutions in those packets can harm terpenes and medicinal quality depending on brand. Those packets are good for reintroducing moisture weight to product or indeed acting as a desiccant and sucking up moisture as you mention, but you really should not need them at a moisture content of 11% or below. Try breaking open the biggest and densest kolas and use a hops moisture meter to test the moisture content. At that level we have found even the biggest kolas cure really nicely in the bag with no weight loss. In addition, a 14 day hang dry after bucking at 60/60 is a good rule of thumb for a dry that will give you desired results. Then trim and put into the bags at 11% moisture content or below.

Also, please always feel free to call the sales line with any technical questions!

I did a web search and some peeps are using a "wood" moisture meter? Cheap! does anyone have experience with these inexpensive meters?

ScreenHunter_273 Aug. 10 11.45.jpg

@Gladiators

:vibe:

Nope, but looks cool!

@Grove Bags Home growers cannot afford an expensive Hops Moisture meter. Is there an inexpensive meter or another way to determine moisture content?

Fair point. Wood moisture meters can vary in quality and sensitivity so try to use something that you can dial in with a friends meter or one that is well reviewed for sensitivity. I am preferable to the delhorst units but they indeed are quite expensive. In terms of something reasonable yet high quality, The extech Mo50 is reasonable and I have heard great reviews.

Only ever seen people use metres like that at work but the test concrete to see if the floor is got the right kind of moisture for when we paint them

I've used the lignomats for wood furniture. You've got to press in a bit to get an accurate measurement. Don't know how well it would work on a bud. I usually stick my humidifier/dehumidifier controller in the bag. When it shows 62% for a few days I call it good. Amazon product

Back