Lighting Grounding a Class 2 LED Driver ??? MW LPC-60-1400

Hippy_BiotabsF70

Formerly Hippy71
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Everything
Hello fellow AFN DIYers :cheers:

I was looking to use a little Meanwell LPC-60-1400 driver to run a single 50w cob but it's class 2, meaning it doesn't have a ground / earth wire and is earthed elsewhere in the set up.

I notice the autocob also uses a Class 2 driver I believe?

How would you earth this baby please? I don't want to blow myself or the cats up.

Thanks very much.

Sorry to tag people for an answer but I have a cob, heatsink and little driver that want something to do! :vibe:

@BigSm0 @iampepe @Jimmyclone @pop22

Sorry you folk have no idea who I am but I have been lurking in all of your threads so know you are DIY people!

Thank you! :cheers: :worship: :vibe:

I saw a video on meanwell's website that showed someone hooking up the earth from the power (mains) supply to the chasis / case of a standard led it was powering, so I would think if I connect from the earth wire in the mains supply to the heatsink I should be good? That way the heatsink and ideal holder will be protected as will the driver?

Single cob, yes I think it would be best to have it grounded. Safety first
:pass:

Thank you very much mate. So just from mains supply earth cable to heatsink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's your answer:

A Class II or double insulated electrical appliance is one which has been designed in such a way that it does not require a safety connection to electrical earth (ground).

The basic requirement is that no single failure can result in dangerous voltage becoming exposed so that it might cause an electric shock and that this is achieved without relying on an earthed metal casing. This is usually achieved at least in part by having at least two layers of insulating material between live parts and the user, or by using reinforced insulation.

Yes and your driver should be connected to the main supply earth ground.
Is your driver going to be separate from the heatsink/cob, not attached to it?

Here's your answer:

A Class II or double insulated electrical appliance is one which has been designed in such a way that it does not require a safety connection to electrical earth (ground).

The basic requirement is that no single failure can result in dangerous voltage becoming exposed so that it might cause an electric shock and that this is achieved without relying on an earthed metal casing. This is usually achieved at least in part by having at least two layers of insulating material between live parts and the user, or by using reinforced insulation.
OK I believe that, I have tons of electronics with no ground plugs. But.... Then why does Meanwell waste the money on a ground wire?

If it has a ground wire ground it. Meanwell believes Murphy was an optimist.........

OK I believe that, I have tons of electronics with no ground plugs. But.... Then why does Meanwell waste the money on a ground wire?

There's no ground wire to connect to the earth from mains supply, and it's a plastic cased driver so no earth there either.

How is an autocob earthed to stop you getting a shock from the casing? That's also a class two driver with no earth lead I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back